• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best route to get to Ferrol

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Greeting from Minnesota, U.S.! I will be starting the Camino in Ferrol. What is the best mode of transportation to get from Madrid to Ferrol? I don't want to fly into Santiago, because it would spoil my arrival there after the first leg of my journey.

Thanks for any information you can share!

Susan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you for your prompt response! Let me see if I understand your information.

The airport nearest Ferrol is A Coruña?

Do you know if it's possible to purchase a one-way train ticket to Ferrol? I don't see that option on the Renfe booking link.

Thanks again!
Susan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The airport nearest Ferrol is A Coruña?

Yes, it is. The IATA code of A Coruña airport is LCG. From downtown A Coruña, you can go to Ferrol by train, as whariwharangi told you, or by bus. Buses from downtown A Coruña to Ferrol are operated by www.arriva.gal

Do you know if it's possible to purchase a one-way train ticket to Ferrol?

Yes, it is. You just have to leave blank the return box. BTW, you may be interested in taking a look at www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm to know how to use the RENFE web and how to avoid common problems with it.

I'll just add that if you fly into Coruna and have time, it's an extremely charming city to explore for a day or two. The port in Coruna is the historical starting point for the English Route, located near the church of Santiago (built in the 12th century). I started and ended both of my camino trips there, and been back just for leisure as well. (I'm going back later this month again too! :D) It's known as the "Crystal City", and it's truly a jewel of Galicia.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll just add that if you fly into Coruna and have time, it's an extremely charming city to explore for a day or two. The port in Coruna is the historical starting point for the English Route, located near the church of Santiago (built in the 12th century). I started and ended both of my camino trips there, and been back just for leisure as well. (I'm going back later this month again too! :D) It's known as the "Crystal City", and it's truly a jewel of Galicia.
Thank you for the information about Coruna. I will arrive in Madrid and have 3 days to fill before starting my camino. Do you recommend I spend my time in Coruna instead of Madrid? Do you advise flying or taking the train from Madrid to Coruna? Thank you for any information you can provide. Susan

Thank you for the information about Coruna. I will arrive in Madrid and have 3 days to fill before starting my camino. Do you recommend I spend my time in Coruna instead of Madrid? Do you advise flying or taking the train from Madrid to Coruna? Thank you for any information you can provide. Susan

Oh, that's a tough one since there are so many factors to consider. If you haven't been to Madrid, it's definitely worth a visit as a beautiful grand capital city. If museums are your thing, Madrid has a slew of world class sites (The Prado! Reina Sofia! Thyssen-Bornemisma, and many more). Coruña on the other hand is an easy to navigate small charming port city with unique architecture, beautiful beaches, and a relaxed atmosphere. No world class museums, but several small ones, such as Picasso House Museum, which commemorates the time the artist lived in Coruña, from age 9-13. You will eat very well in both places (if you enjoy seafood, Galicia can't be beat). Overall, everything will be less expensive in the north.

For travel options, www.rome2rio.com provides plane, train, bus and car options. With a relatively short time to work with, you'll want to see what option fits best with your arrival times and budget, of course. I've never traveled from Madrid to Coruña so can't speak from experience.

Perhaps most importantly, both cities have excellent spots for churros con chocolate: Chocolateria San Gines in Madrid and Bonilla a Vista in Coruña. (Bonilla also makes some fantastic potato chips if you like salty treats!)

The bus ride from Coruña to Ferrol is about an hour, with departures regularly (perhaps almost hourly?), so you will want to take that into account when planning the journey.

Since we have veered into a tourism conversation, please feel free to PM me if I can help with any additional information. I'm going back to Coruña at the end of the month and have links to several maps and other recommendations that I'd be happy to share. Buen Camino!!

Renfe Train from Madrid Chamartin Renfe Station.

Otherwise fly Madrid to A Coruña
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-A-Coruna/en/Home.html

Take local bus from airport to a bus stop located between bus station and train station. Take Renfe Train from A Coruña to Ferrol.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

Chamartin station is connected to Madrid Airport by Metro (T1T2T3 and T4) and Cercanias train (T4).
Hello! thank you for responding. I will finish my walk in Finisterra. I'm trying to figure out how to get back to A Coruña from Finisterra, as the train does not run between those two points.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello! thank you for responding. I will finish my walk in Finisterra. I'm trying to figure out how to get back to A Coruña from Finisterra, as the train does not run between those two points.

Take Monbus (Empresa Monforte) from Fisterra to Santiago. The bus passes the train station where you can catch Renfe train from Santiago to A Coruña or continue to bus station and take Monbus (Castromil) from Santiago bus station to A Coruña bus station.

Monbus
http://www.monbus.es/es

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back