• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Rucksack

Frank Mestre

Let’s Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
1st. Camino coming up 29th. April
Camino Frances here I come.
Hi Can anyone recommend a decent ruck sack? Looking on line they vary in price from around £40.00- over £100.00. Would appreciate the benefit of your experience. Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Frank I seem to remember you are in London, is that right? Cotswold Outdoor has a helpful rucksack fitting service and staff who don't apply 'hard sell'. Go in the week when it's quiet and take plenty of time choosing. They have 3 branches, Covent Garden, Piccadilly and a smaller branch in Holborn.

I personally love Osprey, but everyone is different.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Can anyone recommend a decent ruck sack? Looking on line they vary in price from around £40.00- over £100.00. Would appreciate the benefit of your experience. Thanks
Hi Frank , the best backpack is the one that fits you well .

Wish you well , Peter .

Depends on how much you carry. I travel light (both cost and weight) the first Camino rucksack cost less then £20 and was perfectly adequate - lasted many trips as well.

Mate I carried a pack for 30 years in the Army and as soon as I tried the Dueter air contact 55 I was sold and not only was Deuter happy with my nod of approval they threw in a hat and bladder along with the usual 30% off at Mountaun Designs I was a happy camper.I have been walking with this pack for a few weeks and now and love it, all the compartments are brilliant especially the three way access to all your gear, I have attached a few pouches to the side which can be clipped on and off, to secure valuables at the end of the day, it clips onto your belt or can be slung over your shoulder.Buen Camino .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
ULA (UltraLight Adventures) makes backpacks worth serious consideration. The company's backpacks are a favorite on the Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail for thru-hikers. I like Osprey packs, but I like ULA better. I used their Catalyst model for my Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike. For the Camino Frances I'm still deciding between the Circuit and the Ohm. Both feel great under load going full out on 20km hikes.
https://www.ula-equipment.com

Depends on how much you carry. I travel light (both cost and weight) the first Camino rucksack cost less then £20 and was perfectly adequate - lasted many trips as well.

My first camino backpack was from Lidl and I walked 900 km with it, no problems.
Now I like Osprey bags.
You can also go to a Decathlon shop, they have good 'budget' packs if you don't want to buy one of the more expensive ones. (I didn't because I thought I would never use it again :D )

You will find the overwhelming majority of pilgrims are walking with Osprey back packs. I bought an Osprey AG50 specially for my camino. If you read the many on-line reviews on it, you will realise that it is considered the best thing since sliced bread and that thing that consenting adults do.
Although it is slightly larger than some people think you can get by with, you get all your stuff in it rather than have it hanging of the outside.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will find the overwhelming majority of pilgrims are walking with Osprey back packs. I bought an Osprey AG50 specially for my camino. If you read the many on-line reviews on it, you will realise that it is considered the best thing since sliced bread and that thing that consenting adults do.
Although it is slightly larger than some people think you can get by with, you get all your stuff in it rather than have it hanging of the outside.

If that is what you prefer then perfect! I must say that two weeks ago ( and all other years ) I saw all kind of different brands and priceranges. Most Spanish and French people were walking with the Decathlon housebrand, lots of Germans and Belgians were carrying Deuter / Vaude and people from Scandinavia were carrying Haglofs etc...I like Osprey too but I do not think the overwhelming majority of Camino pilgrims uses them.

Ultreïa!

Last year I jettisoned a 65+l bag and got a 38l Osprey in SJPdP. It was much more comfortable but had no raincover and the external pocket is a bit feeble, but importantly I got everything in and the weight reduction was a huge relief. A summer camino means a sleeping bag liner should save you space as well.

Last year I jettisoned a 65+l bag and got a 38l Osprey in SJPdP. It was much more comfortable but had no raincover and the external pocket is a bit feeble, but importantly I got everything in and the weight reduction was a huge relief. A summer camino means a sleeping bag liner should save you space as well.
I just bought an Osprey 38l Exos. I'm not impressed with it's ability to securely carry poles. However, poles can be secured with a couple of toggles and shock cord. The pack has tie points which you can secure the poles to. You would need to be careful putting pole tips into the bottom side mesh pockets. The pack has room for everything I need for 3 months walking and comes in at 7.2 laden. Straps seem sturdy enough, the harness straps feel a bit light and I guess I'll have a better idea after 3 months.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back