• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Salomon shoes for Camino Frances

Guy15

Time of past OR future Camino
Atarting Camino Famrnces at may 12th
I know there have been many threads about that, but felt the need to open a new one - Need to buy a new shoes for Camino Frances.
I had Salomon X Ultra Mid gtx and decided to send them home and buy a low shoe for the camino, as I understood from people here that it’s not a difficult trek (at least the road conditions), and comfort is important for a 30 days trek.
I really want to stick ro the Salomon brand, which I love and suits me well, but trying to decide on which model. The regular X Ultra is an option, as well as their trail running shoes. Tried the speedcross yesterday, and they were very comfortable, like a running shoe, but I’m really not sure they will be suitable for a long walk, even in an “easy” terrain (felt to me like an adodas/nike running shoe). The XA pro, also trail running, felt heavier and closer to the low x ultra, cloer to hiking than running, and honeatly disn’t feel any difference in comfort compared to the more hiking tailored x ultra, but maybe it is still a good middle ground option, and of course there are other models I haven’t tried.
Any suggestions? Maybe some people that tried a couple of different shoes in the camino and can tell what felt best for them?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I used speedcross Vario 2 for CF and CP last year. First pair just about lasted through the CF and I instantly bought second pair for CP.
The softer sole does let the occasional pebble/rock push onto the underneath of the foot but I didn't notice it very often and it was worth it to spend 99% of my time skipping along in a light comfortable 'trainer'

I know there have been many threads about that, but felt the need to open a new one - Need to buy a new shoes for Camino Frances.
I had Salomon X Ultra Mid gtx and decided to send them home and buy a low shoe for the camino, as I understood from people here that it’s not a difficult trek (at least the road conditions), and comfort is important for a 30 days trek.
I really want to stick ro the Salomon brand, which I love and suits me well, but trying to decide on which model. The regular X Ultra is an option, as well as their trail running shoes. Tried the speedcross yesterday, and they were very comfortable, like a running shoe, but I’m really not sure they will be suitable for a long walk, even in an “easy” terrain (felt to me like an adodas/nike running shoe). The XA pro, also trail running, felt heavier and closer to the low x ultra, cloer to hiking than running, and honeatly disn’t feel any difference in comfort compared to the more hiking tailored x ultra, but maybe it is still a good middle ground option, and of course there are other models I haven’t tried.
Any suggestions? Maybe some people that tried a couple of different shoes in the camino and can tell what felt best for them?
On my CF in warm weather last September, I wore Salomon hiking boots which had Goretex construction. Unfortunately, they reduced breathability too much, so my feet became too hot. At a great little hiking store in Viana, I found some Merrell walking shoes with two great features: wide toe-box, very breathable mesh uppers and good shock absorbing Vibram sole. They saved my Camino. I'll be using them again on CP next week. Obviously, if I get caught out in the rain, they will not resist water getting in. However, they dry quickly and are very light to walk in.
Footwear decisions are tricky, everyone is different. What works for someone might not work for someone else.
Hope this helps

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am walking in the Salomon XA Pro 3D and I am very happy with them ( no Gore-Tex)
The Ultra was too narrow for me

On my CF in warm weather last September, I wore Salomon hiking boots which had Goretex construction. Unfortunately, they reduced breathability too much, so my feet became too hot. At a great little hiking store in Viana, I found some Merrell walking shoes with two great features: wide toe-box, very breathable mesh uppers and good shock absorbing Vibram sole. They saved my Camino. I'll be using them again on CP next week. Obviously, if I get caught out in the rain, they will not resist water getting in. However, they dry quickly and are very light to walk in.
Footwear decisions are tricky, everyone is different. What works for someone might not work for someone else.
Hope this helps
Which marrell model did you buy? I’m curious

I am walking in the Salomon XA Pro 3D and I am very happy with them ( no Gore-Tex)
The Ultra was too narrow for me
How does the no gortex version survive the rain? I’m sure it has more breathability, but the question is if it’s worth it

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Which marrell model did you buy? I’m curious
I don't know which model they are, but I've attached a photo. These are a bit worn on top now, the mesh has a couple of small tears caused by stones, but still good for couple of hundred km at least. The sole is in superb condition_20190510_153853.JPG

I have used Salomon regular X Ultra shoes for many Caminos. I find I need to replace them following each Camino (of about 1000 km), especially as the soles become worn. They are still fine for city walks following the Camino but do not provide sufficient cushioning when the trail is stony or covered in rocks.

Likewise - men’s (they are wider) XA Pro 3D non GTX.
I have «hot feet» when walking; in GTX that seems to translate to wet/humid feet starting 30m after walking, and it stays wet/humid all day= blisters= me being a crybaby!
My feet do ofc get wet when it’s rain, sleet, snow, but even when I wade through water and have to wring my insoles out - shoes generally dry within a couple of hours unless it’s pouring, but then I’ll change to sealskinz with woolen liners.
It’s what works for me...
I’m currently on my 7th and 8th pair of these shoes - it’s the best replacement I have found for the Montrail Hardrock (Loved the original ones!!! Gave up after a blisterfest when they were bought up... The most expensive shoes I have binned after 48 hours).
Trying! Failing - and then getting it right for you seems to be very much a personal thing....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore the Speedcross my first Camino and had to replace them 500k into the walk when the mid sole collapsed. I’m not a heavy woman so not sure why this happened but replaced them with Merrill. Merrill Moab got me through two Portuguese Caminos and have purchased them for my next Camino Madrid. Didn’t bother with Gortex, they dry quickly.

How does the no gortex version survive the rain? I’m sure it has more breathability, but the question is if it’s worth it

Below is a post I have made on this issue before. Maybe it will be of help :)
------------------------------------------------------------
Water will enter trail runner shoes, hiking shoes, or backpacking boots through any opening during a rainstorm, when walking through wet grass and brush, or drench into them if you walk through puddles or other standing water along the Camino.

There are two potential remedies to this problem, neither of which is always effective.
  • First, you can try keeping rain pants over the tops of shoes, so the water runs down the pants past the opening. But this system can be uncomfortably hot in warm weather during rain-soaked conditions. It offers no protection for puddles or having to cross water runoffs on the pathway.
  • You can try using a footwear with a waterproof gaiter or some other waterproof cobbles -- like thick plastic bags. I have not often seen a gaiter or other waterproof trapping that would both keep the water out and keep the feet dry.
“Waterproof” shoes are a misnomer for several reasons.
  • They can fail because the materials simply don’t work over the near and long term because it is difficult to apply and cover all areas of the footwear sufficiently.
  • The waterproof coating or laminate in the shoes does not last. Some manufacturers of the lightweight trail shoes, which are usually constructed as a hybrid of fabric and leather, have treated them with a coating which can quickly wear off. It also keeps sweat in the shoe and your feet get soaked in sweat. Fairly quickly, coatings break down and will no longer be waterproof.
  • Footwear which relies on a “Gore-Tex” style of waterproof/breathable laminate will break down through both wear and tear and dirt buildup on the material which renders it ineffective.
When I’ve tested so-called waterproof / breathable fabrics in shoes for various manufacturers, their actual performance never matched what was claimed. My reports to their QA departments have always reflected these weaknesses as found during testing. Sometimes a shoe will start the test period working fairly well under a narrow range of wet conditions, but as the testing progresses the failures increase.

Waterproof/breathable membranes, like Gore-Tex, are only marginally breathable — water vapor from perspiration does not pass through the fabric as efficiently as is claimed. It can't. Unlike outerwear, the shoe material radically inhibits the ability of the membrane to allow water vapor to escape, thereby trapping it in the shoe.

So, on warm days the experience of having sweat being trapped in the shoe is common. Combined with the fact that the fabric waterproofing is quickly damaged by dirt, sweat, grime, and abrasion and it’s only a matter of time before exterior moisture begins penetrating the fabric and allowing feet to get wet from outside moisture as well.

This is why most experienced trekkers and backpackers no longer go to great lengths to keep feet dry. They accept that when the weather is wet, feet will also get wet. Even the US military uses footwear for wet conditions which is not waterproof. The strategy is how to minimize any problems when feet are wet.

In working with folks new to backpacking who ask about waterproof footwear recommendations, I have asked why they wanted waterproof shoes. Sometimes, they will look at me as if I had spaghetti sticking out of my nose. Most will answer that they think their feet will stay dry, and that having wet feet is akin to getting into horrible trouble.

This post is meant to help inform, reassure, and give a different line of thought and reasoning to this issue.

I like to have dry feet. I always try to avoid wet feet. I have tried many ways to keep my feet dry:

• “Waterproof” shoes, which, as I’ve said, don’t work well.
  • “Waterproof” socks, which don’t work for similar reasons: shoes still get wet, and feet soak with sweat. However – In cold weather these soaks can be the basis for using vapor barrier warmth conservation of the feet.
  • Wearing multiple pairs of socks, frequently changing from wet to dry, which eventually all get wet.
  • Carrying multiple pairs of shoes, which eventually all get wet, too.
I have never had total success at keeping my feet dry in very wet conditions, which led me to research what has been done to develop effective strategies. If I can’t keep my feet dry, then I need to try and eliminate or minimize the risk of any of the bad things that could occur to my wet feet when walking.

Some of these lessons I learned while in Vietnam…. Like the fact that our boots had fabric tops and numerous holes in the thin leather bottom portions so that water drained out quickly and never sat in the boots.

What are the most frequent and problematic 'bad' things?
  • Maceration is the medical term for pruning, where the skin’s outer layer absorbs a lot of moisture and gets “soggy” from that moisture. The skin gets sore and extremely soft which makes it more prone to blistering and developing other problems.
  • Cracking of the skin when the macerated feet dry. The natural moisture and oiliness of the skin is gone. The severity depends on how much stress the skin is exposed to after it is dried out.
So, what does work for me, and others, if I am going to be walking or backpacking in wet weather?
  • Apply a good, thick coating of a Goop (ointment or salve) to my feet and between toes before putting on socks and shoes in the morning. If rain occurs later in the day, then remove shoes and socks and do the same. This helps protect from external moisture.
Goop which has a high content of wax – either bee or paraffin – is most ideal, especially if it also has a high lanolin content.
  • Wear non-waterproof shoes which can drain and then dry out quickly. This minimizes the amount of puddling in the shoe that bathes the feet in moisture. Modern trail running shoes, and trail shoes often have nice open mesh fabric which is terrific for draining water.
Non-waterproof shoes will also eliminate moisture from sweaty feet. Remember, it doesn’t matter what the source of the moisture is that feet are exposed to: be it rain or sweat, each can cause the same problems.
  • Wear thin, light-cushioned merino wool socks, which don’t absorb as much water as thicker socks. Merino wool will also keep wet feet warm and comfortable in most seasons and temperature ranges, unless the weather is frigid winter-cold.
  • Take off shoes and socks to let feet air dry during rest stop that will be longer than 20 minutes.During this time, I will wring out any excess moisture from the socks, but I will not put on either of my dry pairs (I take three). I will also wipe off moisture on my feet and then reapply a goodly amount of Goop to my feet to help keep them from becoming macerated.
  • When stopping for the day, apply Goop to the bottoms of feet, both before and after showering.
  • Carry an extra pair of insoles. These insoles do not have to be your preferred “walking” insoles that you may have purchased separately. These can be the lightweight pair which came with your shoes. These will be the barrier between your wet footwear and your dry socks when you are done for the day and if your shoes are a bit damp come morning.
I find that at days end, I can remove the wet insoles and use absorbent paper or toweling to sop up as much moisture as is possible while I am showering and dealing with end of the day chores.

When I get ready to go to dinner or wander around town, I put on a pair of dry Merino wool socks, insert the extra pair of dry insoles into my shoes, and put the shoes back on to walk around in. This accelerates drying out the shoes. Depending on the shoe’s material, within a couple of hours the shoes are mostly dry.
  • At bedtime, I remove the insoles and stuff absorbent material into the shoes to continue the drying out process, if need be, during the night.
  • Apply more salve or ointment and wear dry and warm socks at while sleeping; this gives feet 8-9 hours of recovery.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know which model they are, but I've attached a photo. These are a bit worn on top now, the mesh has a couple of small tears caused by stones, but still good for couple of hundred km at least. The sole is in superb conditionView attachment 57014

They look like the Moab, but I can't tell which version (the 1 or 2)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The no Gortex dry quickly, the Gortex version will get wet if it really pours and will take forever to dry.

There is another version of the X Ultra you might try out. . . Salomon X Ultra 3 Low Aero. It has a bit more flexibility and cushioning than the X Ultra.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Below is a post I have made on this issue before. Maybe it will be of help :)
------------------------------------------------------------
Water will enter trail runner shoes, hiking shoes, or backpacking boots through any opening during a rainstorm, when walking through wet grass and brush, or drench into them if you walk through puddles or other standing water along the Camino.

There are two potential remedies to this problem, neither of which is always effective.
  • First, you can try keeping rain pants over the tops of shoes, so the water runs down the pants past the opening. But this system can be uncomfortably hot in warm weather during rain-soaked conditions. It offers no protection for puddles or having to cross water runoffs on the pathway.
  • You can try using a footwear with a waterproof gaiter or some other waterproof cobbles -- like thick plastic bags. I have not often seen a gaiter or other waterproof trapping that would both keep the water out and keep the feet dry.
“Waterproof” shoes are a misnomer for several reasons.
  • They can fail because the materials simply don’t work over the near and long term because it is difficult to apply and cover all areas of the footwear sufficiently.
  • The waterproof coating or laminate in the shoes does not last. Some manufacturers of the lightweight trail shoes, which are usually constructed as a hybrid of fabric and leather, have treated them with a coating which can quickly wear off. It also keeps sweat in the shoe and your feet get soaked in sweat. Fairly quickly, coatings break down and will no longer be waterproof.
  • Footwear which relies on a “Gore-Tex” style of waterproof/breathable laminate will break down through both wear and tear and dirt buildup on the material which renders it ineffective.
When I’ve tested so-called waterproof / breathable fabrics in shoes for various manufacturers, their actual performance never matched what was claimed. My reports to their QA departments have always reflected these weaknesses as found during testing. Sometimes a shoe will start the test period working fairly well under a narrow range of wet conditions, but as the testing progresses the failures increase.

Waterproof/breathable membranes, like Gore-Tex, are only marginally breathable — water vapor from perspiration does not pass through the fabric as efficiently as is claimed. It can't. Unlike outerwear, the shoe material radically inhibits the ability of the membrane to allow water vapor to escape, thereby trapping it in the shoe.

So, on warm days the experience of having sweat being trapped in the shoe is common. Combined with the fact that the fabric waterproofing is quickly damaged by dirt, sweat, grime, and abrasion and it’s only a matter of time before exterior moisture begins penetrating the fabric and allowing feet to get wet from outside moisture as well.

This is why most experienced trekkers and backpackers no longer go to great lengths to keep feet dry. They accept that when the weather is wet, feet will also get wet. Even the US military uses footwear for wet conditions which is not waterproof. The strategy is how to minimize any problems when feet are wet.

In working with folks new to backpacking who ask about waterproof footwear recommendations, I have asked why they wanted waterproof shoes. Sometimes, they will look at me as if I had spaghetti sticking out of my nose. Most will answer that they think their feet will stay dry, and that having wet feet is akin to getting into horrible trouble.

This post is meant to help inform, reassure, and give a different line of thought and reasoning to this issue.

I like to have dry feet. I always try to avoid wet feet. I have tried many ways to keep my feet dry:

• “Waterproof” shoes, which, as I’ve said, don’t work well.
  • “Waterproof” socks, which don’t work for similar reasons: shoes still get wet, and feet soak with sweat. However – In cold weather these soaks can be the basis for using vapor barrier warmth conservation of the feet.
  • Wearing multiple pairs of socks, frequently changing from wet to dry, which eventually all get wet.
  • Carrying multiple pairs of shoes, which eventually all get wet, too.
I have never had total success at keeping my feet dry in very wet conditions, which led me to research what has been done to develop effective strategies. If I can’t keep my feet dry, then I need to try and eliminate or minimize the risk of any of the bad things that could occur to my wet feet when walking.

Some of these lessons I learned while in Vietnam…. Like the fact that our boots had fabric tops and numerous holes in the thin leather bottom portions so that water drained out quickly and never sat in the boots.

What are the most frequent and problematic 'bad' things?
  • Maceration is the medical term for pruning, where the skin’s outer layer absorbs a lot of moisture and gets “soggy” from that moisture. The skin gets sore and extremely soft which makes it more prone to blistering and developing other problems.
  • Cracking of the skin when the macerated feet dry. The natural moisture and oiliness of the skin is gone. The severity depends on how much stress the skin is exposed to after it is dried out.
So, what does work for me, and others, if I am going to be walking or backpacking in wet weather?
  • Apply a good, thick coating of a Goop (ointment or salve) to my feet and between toes before putting on socks and shoes in the morning. If rain occurs later in the day, then remove shoes and socks and do the same. This helps protect from external moisture.
Goop which has a high content of wax – either bee or paraffin – is most ideal, especially if it also has a high lanolin content.
  • Wear non-waterproof shoes which can drain and then dry out quickly. This minimizes the amount of puddling in the shoe that bathes the feet in moisture. Modern trail running shoes, and trail shoes often have nice open mesh fabric which is terrific for draining water.
Non-waterproof shoes will also eliminate moisture from sweaty feet. Remember, it doesn’t matter what the source of the moisture is that feet are exposed to: be it rain or sweat, each can cause the same problems.
  • Wear thin, light-cushioned merino wool socks, which don’t absorb as much water as thicker socks. Merino wool will also keep wet feet warm and comfortable in most seasons and temperature ranges, unless the weather is frigid winter-cold.
  • Take off shoes and socks to let feet air dry during rest stop that will be longer than 20 minutes.During this time, I will wring out any excess moisture from the socks, but I will not put on either of my dry pairs (I take three). I will also wipe off moisture on my feet and then reapply a goodly amount of Goop to my feet to help keep them from becoming macerated.
  • When stopping for the day, apply Goop to the bottoms of feet, both before and after showering.
  • Carry an extra pair of insoles. These insoles do not have to be your preferred “walking” insoles that you may have purchased separately. These can be the lightweight pair which came with your shoes. These will be the barrier between your wet footwear and your dry socks when you are done for the day and if your shoes are a bit damp come morning.
I find that at days end, I can remove the wet insoles and use absorbent paper or toweling to sop up as much moisture as is possible while I am showering and dealing with end of the day chores.

When I get ready to go to dinner or wander around town, I put on a pair of dry Merino wool socks, insert the extra pair of dry insoles into my shoes, and put the shoes back on to walk around in. This accelerates drying out the shoes. Depending on the shoe’s material, within a couple of hours the shoes are mostly dry.
  • At bedtime, I remove the insoles and stuff absorbent material into the shoes to continue the drying out process, if need be, during the night.
  • Apply more salve or ointment and wear dry and warm socks at while sleeping; this gives feet 8-9 hours of recovery.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, that is the definitive article on the subject. Thank you for sharing.
Love your hilarious description ..."Some people look at me as if I've got spaghetti sticking out of my nose"...... hahahahaha. I wish I had seen this post before.

They look like the Moab, but I can't tell which version (the 1 or 2)
I have just found out that they are the model: Merrell All Out Blaze Aero Sport. See attached screenshot from Amazon webpage.

Attachments

• _20190512_132941.JPG
    _20190512_132941.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 15
As i am looking for shoes/boot to buy and break it , this thread has been helpful , thank you everyone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As i am looking for shoes/boot to buy and break it , this thread has been helpful , thank you everyone.

One thing to keep in mind is that the type of footwear posted about in this thread do not really require "breaking in". The materials in the uppers are light and flexible, and the outersoles are not stiff. . . unlike heavier and stiffer leather hiking boots. If the footwear does not feel good and comfortable out of the box, it will not get better with wear.

I have used Salomon regular X Ultra shoes for many Caminos. I find I need to replace them following each Camino (of about 1000 km), especially as the soles become worn. They are still fine for city walks following the Camino but do not provide sufficient cushioning when the trail is stony or covered in rocks.
Just bought Salomon Ultra Pro ($$$) from the Salomon shop a few hours from where I live in Mexico. They felt fine in store. Light weight and roomy toe box. Did a few hikes and my heels slip out of shoe with each step. Salomon store here does not accept returns if you've used them. Heel grip inserts?
There is a Decathlon store here a few hours away also.
Leave for PC in 3 weeks with no shoes! Almost ready to take my trainers and use them or buy something in LIsbon. Decathlon store there? Limited options here in Central Mexico. Any advice is welcome!

Hi, Pamalita, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum.

You can find the Lisbon Decathlon store locations HERE

Something changed between trying the Solomons in the store and your trial hikes; can you put a finger on what that difference is? Also, what have you already tried to do to solve your heel slippage problem? I would be happy to try and help you to see if the problem can be resolved. Send me a PM if I can be of assistance.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Just bought Salomon Ultra Pro ($$$) from the Salomon shop a few hours from where I live in Mexico. They felt fine in store. Light weight and roomy toe box. Did a few hikes and my heels slip out of shoe with each step. Salomon store here does not accept returns if you've used them. Heel grip inserts?
There is a Decathlon store here a few hours away also.
Leave for PC in 3 weeks with no shoes! Almost ready to take my trainers and use them or buy something in LIsbon. Decathlon store there? Limited options here in Central Mexico. Any advice is welcome!
Maybe you need to try a different lacing technique, like a heel lock.

Hi, Pamalita, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum.

You can find the Lisbon Decathlon store locations HERE

Something changed between trying the Solomons in the store and your trial hikes; can you put a finger on what that difference is? Also, what have you already tried to do to solve your heel slippage problem? I would be happy to try and help you to see if the problem can be resolved. Send me a PM if I can be of assistance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just bought the Salomon OUTline GTX. Last time I walked I used boots and was really unhappy with my choice. I’m hoping these are better. I am really worried about the rain in October/November and ended up getting gortex- I hope I made the right decision! These shoes are most like my trainers and felt very comfortable. I am a little worried about my feet swelling! Wondering if I should get a 1/2 up?

Hi, i am also a big fan of Salomon shoes. I've got a pair of Speedcross gtx, a pair of Outline mid gtx and a rather old worn pair of X-ultra. I am planning the Coastal Portuguese Camino in April/May. It's a shame i didn't happen to read all those thoughts on gore-tex before, cause i used to be sure the Spedcross shoes were good for the purpose. Are they really so bad for the given route and season? The budget is kind of too tight to buy one more pair of decent shoes when i've already got at least three of them. Thanks for any possible advice

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have always been happy to walk in Salomon X Ultra shoes. I have used them for many Caminos with no problems. However, you will not likely want to walk with a pair of worn shoes. I am not familiar with the Speedcross, so I don't know if they will be suitable.

Hi, i am also a big fan of Salomon shoes. I've got a pair of Speedcross gtx, a pair of Outline mid gtx and a rather old worn pair of X-ultra. I am planning the Coastal Portuguese Camino in April/May. It's a shame i didn't happen to read all those thoughts on gore-tex before, cause i used to be sure the Spedcross shoes were good for the purpose. Are they really so bad for the given route and season? The budget is kind of too tight to buy one more pair of decent shoes when i've already got at least three of them. Thanks for any possible advice

Hi, Maria. . .

Your post seems to indicate that that you already have a pair of shoes that you want to wear, are comfortable, and fit correctly. If that is the case, then use whatever shoe works well for you.

Between the Speedcross GTX and the Outline Mid GTX, I personally prefer the Speedcross. . . . at least in the men's versions :) If both shoes FEEL and FIT comfortably during hiking and walking with a loaded backpack, I think you would do better with the Speedcross.

I have sent a PM with regard to Goretex. Since you already have perfectly good shoes, I would not spend the money to buy the non-GTX versions. You can re-evaluate GTX vs Non-GTX when it comes time for a replacement pair of shoes :)

I just bought the Salomon OUTline GTX. Last time I walked I used boots and was really unhappy with my choice. I’m hoping these are better. I am really worried about the rain in October/November and ended up getting gortex- I hope I made the right decision! These shoes are most like my trainers and felt very comfortable. I am a little worried about my feet swelling! Wondering if I should get a 1/2 up?

Hi, Audra. . .

I've sent you a PM containing a copy of my shoe fitting guide.

As an answer to your question: No one can tell you if you need to increase the size of your shoes, or if needed, how much larger your shoes need to be. There is NO automatic formula. What your feet need is based on how a shoe fits and feels when you test a pair. The guide I am sending will explain how to determine your proper fit.

Thank you, Lindam and Davebugg, for your replies. You're right, i love the fitting of those Spedcross, the only thing that troubles me now is the gore-tex. As for the X-ultra, i have them since 2017 and did Rota Vicentina wearing them (luckily it never rained). They're still ok for walks not far from home, but i am not sure they are good enough for another 300 kms

As for the X-ultra, i have them since 2017 and did Rota Vicentina wearing them (luckily it never rained). They're still ok for walks not far from home, but i am not sure they are good enough for another 300 kms

Yup. If you plan on using the X Ultras, they are needing replacement for any long distance walking. :)

Love my XA Pro 3D.
Three Caminos and a lot of home trail walking and still going strong. I have other shoes but still go back to these. In fact wearing then now in a cafe!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.