Best section of Camino Mozarabe | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Forum App now available
Camino Forum Android APP Camino Forum iOS APP
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Best section of Camino Mozarabe

Discussion in 'Camino Mozárabe' started by Silvia1989, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Silvia1989

Silvia1989 New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    French and portuguese route
    Hi guys!

few years ago I walked the french and portoguese routes and this year I'll be in Andalusia in July and I was thinking to take 7-10 days to walk part of Camino Mozarabe (actually at the beginning I was thinking to do the via Augusta from Cadiz to Sevilla but then I've read on the blog that it's a bit of a boring path)
    Which part do you think is the most interesting? I was thinking do do either the part from Almeria to Granada passing near Sierra Nevada, or from Granada to Cordoba, as they are both very beautiful cities.
    Maybe some mozarabic pilgrims can help me to choose?

Ciao a tutti!

qualche anno fa ho percorso il cammino francese e quello portoghese, e quest'anno saro' in Andalusia a luglio e pensavo di fare un tratto del cammino Mozarabe. (all'inizio volevo fare la via Augusta da Cadice a Siviglia ma poi ho letto che e' un tratto abbastanza monotono). Quale tratto mi consigliereste? Da Almeria a Granada, o da Granada a Cordoba? Mi attira molto l'idea di passare vicino alla sierra nevada, ma dall'altra parte mi piacerebbe molto vedere sia Granada che cordoba! Qualche pellegrino esperto di questa via mi puo' aiutare nella scelta?

Grazie mille!
    Silvia

2. SYates

SYates Camino Fossil AD 1999 Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    First: Camino Francés 1999
    Last: CF winter 2016/17

Now: http://egeria.house/
    Hi and welcome to the forum @Silvia1989 I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that July in Andalucia is extremely hot! Are you sure you want to walk in that kind of heat? Max. temperatures can be easily in the high 30C or even in the low 40C ... Buen Camino, SY

3. Magwood

Magwood Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (15 April 2013)
    Camino Portuguese (1 May 2014)
    Camino Mozárabe from Málaga (8 April 2015)
    Camino del Norte & Camino Ingles (April 2016)
    I haven't walked the route from Almería to Córdoba but I have walked from Málaga. My first thought would be that I wouldn't contemplate walking either route in July as it is likely to be uncomfortably hot. I can certainly recommend the route from Málaga which I walked in early April, reaching Córdoba on day 9 and continuing to Santiago and Finisterre. I give lots of useful information in my blog which I posted each day including accommodation, elevation and landscape, with lots of photos.
    Buen camino

Camino Chris, SYates and SabineP like this.
  4. Silvia1989

Silvia1989 New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Hi SYates, thank you very much for your advice... I don't suffer heat so so much... I'll try to wake up early in the morning! thank you

SYates likes this.
  5. Silvia1989

Silvia1989 New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank u Magwwod!

6. george.g

george.g Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Next camino to be decided.
    Just walked from Almeria to Fisterre.
    The Almeria to Granada section took us nine days of tough hiking, with lots of climbing and the associated downs, some of the route is along fairly rough tracks, the weather was quite hot, but not as hot as its going to be, the route is well marked but we had GPS as a backup.
    Unless you are fully prepared for the heat, in good condition and well equiped then it might be a good idea to save this route till the weather is a little kinder.
    I don't think there is any doubt, this route has the potential to be dagerous.
    There again I've just seen your reply to SYates, best of luck, you might need it!
    Regards
    George

Magwood, alansykes and SYates like this.
  7. Silvia1989

Silvia1989 New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Hi George, thank you. Do you think the section from Granada to Cordoba is easier? (not in terms of heat, but in terms of path)

8. george.g

george.g Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Hi Silvia,
    I would say yes with probably the exception of the Granada - Moclin section, somewhere between 30 - 34kms guides vary as to distance, and a fairly stiff climb of about 500mtrs at the end.
    I hope I didn't seem to be overly dramatic re the Mozarabe from Almeria, but honestly it's a fairly serious undertaking, I just couldn't imagine walking that route with temperatures in the high thirties!!!
    Regards
    George
    PS If you plan to visit the Alhambra palace in Granada, don't forget to pre book tickets or you won't get in.

9. Silvia1989

Silvia1989 New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Hi George, thank you very much , your advice is highly appreciated. I think I have a good resistance to heat, I walked many times in August in Sicily, Corsica, Mesetas of french camino. I know in this case the latitude is even lower, but at the moment i'm living in Iraq so... I know what heat means! As long as you tell me that at least the trail is well marked and not physically dangerous (overhangs on one side or similar...), I think could be feasible for me... But I think I will move to section Granada-Cordoba to be on the safe side!

10. george.g

george.g Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Hi Silvia,
    Yes the route is well marked, we had no problems at all, the track is safe, we did have GPS backup, but only used it on rare occasions, usually to find albergues.
    Regards
    george