• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Sellers in Portable Cell Phone Power Banks

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
Before my last pilgrimage, and with a seemingly ever-increasing demand for device power during the day.... I'm talking here about me wandering along looking at GPS tracks on my phone, I decided I needed to invest in a powerbank.
But they are so heavy!
My phone has a 4000mAh battery which with normal usage at home always lasts more than 24 hrs. My friends look at me enviously.
I decided, after a bit of trial and error, that my powerbank only really needed enough power to charge my phone once, meaning I'd set off each day with a fully charged phone and and have one full back up charge waiting in the powerbank..
As it happens a friend lent me a flattish, light 5000Ah model which worked out absolutely fine.
It had an inbuilt pop-out charging cable so no additional cabling to carry.

Whatever. I happened upon an Amazon list of their 100 top selling models. Perhaps it is of some utility.

How to Charge a Power Bank

Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Gerard
Yes ., it can be a worry if you need to use your gps for long., as a bit of charge is necessary in the event you really need to make a call.

Was the model that your friend loaned you mentioned in the amazon list linked here. Or what was the model most similar?

My son gave me one (similar look to #5 and #29 on the amazon list )... it may have been a bit worn out at that stage as I felt it was too time consuming charging it for what I got from it.

Annie

You're unlikely to need a power bank with more than 5000mah, which should charge most smart phones at least one full charge. Most of the power banks on that list are double, triple or quadruple that, and probably pretty heavy. I have a slim 5000mah power bank with built in charging cable. It weighs about 4 ounces/110 grams. When searching on Amazon or elsewhere for a power bank specify what size you want

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Gerard
Yes ., it can be a worry if you need to use your gps for long., as a bit of charge is necessary in the event you really need to make a call.
Was the model that your friend loaned you mentioned in the amazon list linked here. Or what was the model most similar?
My son gave me one (similar look to #5 and #29 on the amazon list )... it may have been a bit worn out at that stage as I felt it was too time consuming charging it for what I got from it.

Annie
HI Annie
The one he lent me was a PINENG brand, not listed. It's Brazilian I think, as that's where he's from.
It's very much like the Luxtude No 32 on the list, which also sounds similar to the one Trecile specifies.
But it has the built in lightning cable for Apple phones (and maybe other brands?) but not for my older Android phone which has Micro USB connections.
So its essential when buying online to order the powerbank that suits your phone.
Regards Gerard

My wife is very fond of her Jackery Bolt 6000 mAh. It works well with her iPhone or with phones using a micro-USB. It doesn't have a USB-C connector, though, for those who want that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Check out this article - it lists some sub 3 ounce/85 grams power banks. They may not give you phone a full charge, but should be more than sufficient for a Camino, where you can plug your phone in in albergues, bars, etc.

Before I mention two products I'm really happy about I want to say something about charging your phone and/or battery at albergues. On the Camino Catalan this last autumn I stayed in two albergues that had a surprise for me. When the lights were shut off in the dorm the wall power outlets were also turned off automatically. The first time I got caught with an uncharged battery in the morning but the second time I noticed and my fellow pilgrim and I charged things in another room.

Of the two products that I want to mention the one meant for cars is going to be mentioned before the one more useful for caminos and everyday use. That is because it could save your life.

Last year I was gifted with a car crash emergency escape tool (seat belt cutter and window breaker) that also served as an always presenttorch/flashlight, red flasher and battery charger. It will normallyreside in and get charged in your car's 12 volt cigarette lighter outletand will glow with a blue LED when there so it can be easily found in an emergency. It can also be charged with a USB micro-B cable and has a USB-A port for charging your phone either when driving or after being taken out of the car. The battery is rated at 2200 mAh. The brand is Somostel. Extremely clever; I like it a lot. A simple improvement would be to have a steady red light also and to have the red light come on before the white light but I guess you can't have everything. When I wrote this it was listed for $14.99 at the US Amazon site.

When on a camino a heavier, more powerful battery charger may be worthwhile. After all, it can be carried in a pack. One lighter one that has served me well on a camino and more often in everyday use is by iWalk. It fits nicely in my pocket as it is just a hair thicker than my phone, a bit narrower and only about 2/3 as long. It comes with two cables attached but tucked away neatly. One cable has a Lightning connector for charging iPhones (I've only done that twice though) and the other cable is for charging Android phones. You can get a Lightning/USB micro-B version or a Lightning/USB C version. They haven't done anything about the request to make a version with the two USB connectors. iWalk says that two phones can be charged at the same time (and also with pass-through as the battery itself is being charged) but they also don't recommend it. This battery has a 3,000 mAh capacity.

I like this battery because (1) it is easy to carry (and thus available when needed) and (2) the cable is always available and (3) it is easy to use the battery and the phone together. I can easily hold the two together when charging the phone and recording and viewing a GPS track and it isn't too bad holding them together when taking pictures or videos. I can't remember needing any more charge than this provides and it charges quick enough for me.

The iWalk comes in black or gold. I have the black model (model UBO3000). I thought I got a great deal at $15 US but I see this now at the US Amazon site at $8.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have always bought Anker power banks, usually from Amazon. They have been consistently awesome and highly recommend them for weight and power. I have recently upgraded to a 15,000 MaH one and it charges my phone over 4 times.

Other power banks that I have bought have not charged things as many times as they should e.g. I had a 10,000 mah one from Flying Tiger and it barely charged my phone twice when it should have been at least three plus. Now I stick with Anker.

I have a solar power bank, the capacity is large, and have a quick charging. It works well with my phone, and it is a great assistant for camping. Highly recommend it.

I have a 20000 mAh powerbank. I like to be ready in case I won't have an option to get to a plug in the evening and I don't have to think about having enough battery to share with others. I charge my phone and gps watch with it. It's pretty big/heavy but I don't mind it.

Recently I've been looking at portable rechargeable hand warmers and they all have an ability to act as a powerbank.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.