• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best stages to ride

Wander Womyn

Time of past OR future Camino
Central Portugal Way
My son and I will be doing the Central route starting from Porto in June. In order to give ourselves a little breathing room, I'd like to ride bikes for two (perhaps three days). We land in Porto on June 8th and leave Porto on June 22, which gives us 12 days to walk (very doable - but doesn't give us the opportunity to stop and smell the roses, etc.) I am in contact with a bike rental company that will drop off and pick up the bikes as we direct. Question - What are the best stages to bike (or alternatively which stages should we avoid biking)?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you mean you want to ride two or three stages of the central route ? And return every day back in Porto ?

Do you mean you want to ride two or three stages of the central route ? And return every day back in Porto ?
No. We will not return to Porto each night, but will continue to progress to Santiago. The thought is to cover more miles over two (perhaps three) days so that we can be less aggressive on the remaining 9-10 walking days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Okay but where do you leave your (rented? ) bikes after two or three days ?
I guess you ride 60 kms a day so after 3 days you are almost near the Spanish border.
From there it is about 100 kms to Santiago. So with an average walking speed of 20 kms per day you will be in five days in Santiago.
(Edited) Now I read your initial post again.
your rental bikes will be picked up.
If you ride and walk the Central route I - if I were you-ride as far as albergue Casa da Fernanda (two days riding) and walk from there
day 3 Casa da Fernanda to Ponte de Lima. 14 kms Beautiful town
casa da Fernanda is between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima (18 kms from Barcelos) in the village of Vitorino dos Piães situated at the waymarked path .
day 4 Ponte de Lima to Rubiães 18 kms off road terrain going over a mountain of 450 mtrs altitude
day 5 Rubiães to Valença do Minho (20kms). Or Tui (Spain ) 23 kms
day 6 Valença/Tui to O Porriño 20 kms
day 7 O Prrińo to Redondela 19 kms of (adviced Cessantes 22 kms (stay at o Refúxio de la Jerézana
day 8 Redondela/Cessantes to Pontevedra 20 kms nice town
day 9 Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 18 kms
day 10 Caldas to Padrón 20 kms
day 11 Padrón to Santiago 23kms or alternative
walk to Teo a Casalonga of Milladoiro. ( max 13kms and have
an easy walk next day to Santiago

From Santiago is a bus (ALSA bus ) back to Porto airport and Porto Center ( metrostop Casa da Música)

bom caminho

Last edited:
Okay but where do you leave your (rented? ) bikes after two or three days ?
I guess you ride 60 kms a day so after 3 days you are almost near the Spanish border.
From there it is about 100 kms to Santiago. So with an average walking speed of 20 kms per day you will be in five days in Santiago.
(Edited) Now I read your initial post again.
your rental bikes will be picked up.
If you ride and walk the Central route I - if I were you-ride as far as albergue Casa da Fernanda (two days riding) and walk from there
day 3 Casa da Fernanda to Ponte de Lima. 14 kms Beautiful town
casa da Fernanda is between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima (18 kms from Barcelos) in the village of Vitorino dos Piães situated at the waymarked path .
day 4 Ponte de Lima to Rubiães 18 kms off road terrain going over a mountain of 450 mtrs altitude
day 5 Rubiães to Valença do Minho (20kms). Or Tui (Spain ) 23 kms
day 6 Valença/Tui to O Porriño 20 kms
day 7 O Prrińo to Redondela 19 kms of (adviced Cessantes 22 kms (stay at o Refúxio de la Jerézana
day 8 Redondela/Cessantes to Pontevedra 20 kms nice town
day 9 Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 18 kms
day 10 Caldas to Padrón 20 kms
day 11 Padrón to Santiago 23kms or alternative
walk to Teo a Casalonga of Milladoiro. ( max 13kms and have
an easy walk next day to Santiago

From Santiago is a bus (ALSA bus ) back to Porto airport and Porto Center ( metrostop Casa da Música)

bom caminho
Thank you - very helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back