• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best stops, favorite albergues Burgos to Santiago de Compost

Hermanita

Well we have a wonderful and very informative post on best stops and favorite Albergues up to Burgos. How about your favorites for the rest of the way? I have made note of all the information in the other post and am anxious to hear your input on the rest of the trip.

Love this website. I am learning so much. Thank you all for your help and support regarding all things Camino.

Rita

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, you can check my blog. :mrgreen:

If I had to pick my absolute favorite place, I'd say the private albergue in Boadilla del Camino. Doesn't look like much on the outside, but once inside the gate, wow. They tell you to rest, take a shower, get a drink before they make you pay. :) The food is great too! AND there's a pool.

Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz was nice as well. I'm guessing the young owner is a bit further along with his renovations than he was 2 years ago. :)

Kelly

HI
another vote for Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz. The hospitalero was very helpful to me when I was there with an injury last fall. The hotel a few doors down does a very nice pilgrim's menu and the albergue does have a kichen. I am curious what the story is for the two skull & cross bones on the church wall across from the albergue. The town/village is older and much more attractive than some of the newer towns further down the camino.

If I do the camino again I will definitely stay here again.

John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
John, I took a photo of that as well. It's either the set for Pirates of Castrojeriz, or possibly a left-over from the Black Plague or other time when Death took many people. :shudder:

Kelly

My favourite stop was in Santibanez de Valdeigleasias, there was a party going on in a little private bar, Herkules the hospitalero gave us some drinks, after that he cooked the whole day for us, we drank wine, smoked cigarettes and ate with him. he is very nice and an interesting person. though the building was not too modern and the toilets and showers a little old, it was great there :)

WolverineDG said:
Well, you can check my blog. :mrgreen:

If I had to pick my absolute favorite place, I'd say the private albergue in Boadilla del Camino.

Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz was nice as well.
Kelly

Thanks Kelly I will make note of these two places.

As for the blog, couldn't find an entry with albergue info

Rita

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
johnBCCanada said:
HI
another vote for Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz. The hospitalero was very helpful to me when I was there with an injury last fall. The hotel a few doors down does a very nice pilgrim's menu and the albergue does have a kichen.

If I do the camino again I will definitely stay here again.

John

Thanks John this albergue has 2 votes now with yours and Kelly's, so I definitely will check it out. And it is always nice to know that there is good food nearby.
Rita

Simsonite said:
My favourite stop was in Santibanez de Valdeigleasias, ...Herkules the hospitalero gave us some drinks, after that he cooked the whole day for us,...he is very nice and an interesting person. though the building was not too modern and the toilets and showers a little old, it was great there :)

Hi Simonite Thanks, will make a note. The human kindness always outways "unmodern toilets and showers".

Rita

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
the albergue I always think of when reminiscing about the Camino was the one in Ruitalin, run by two monks. To be woken to the sweet sounds of 'ave maria' will never be forgotten. They cook dinner for you and will cook breakfast too. Try and stay up in the attic if you can. Wonderful!

I agree with the previous post. Ruitelan was probably my favorite. The dinner was wonderful. We received a wonderful welcome there. It was comfortable and relaxing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Janeh said:
the albergue I always think of when reminiscing about the Camino was the one in Ruitalin, run by two monks. To be woken to the sweet sounds of 'ave maria' will never be forgotten. They cook dinner for you and will cook breakfast too. Try and stay up in the attic if you can. Wonderful!

Thanks Janeh and Viajero for this recommendation. I will definitely add it to my list of "must stay" places. Hope my travels "cooperate" and it ends up being a destination at the end of the day. One never knows!!

Peace and Love
Rita

Hi Rita,

It's wonderful to have a list of the "best albergues" along the Camino. And everyone certainly has his/her favourites place or a story of how their stay was made particularly special by an hospitalero or a group of Camino friends.

But I can't help but express a word of caution, here. Your Camino is yours and yours alone. While those of us who have already walked can share experiences and stories, we, too had unique experiences that are ours alone. Even the same person cannot duplicate the experience! I have walked the Francés twice and the experiences were totally different!

Be cautious about feeling the need to stay in an albergue because someone else said it is wonderful. The hospitaleros may (probably!) have changed or possibly the albergue isn't open on the day you pass through the village. It is essential to be flexible on the Camino.

In addition to that, in an above post, Jane recommended Ruitelan which I have heard is a wonderful albergue. I had a tremendous experience in La Faba just a few km farther on and would recommend it highly. You can't stop in all of them or you will be walking only 5 km per day! Which might not actually be a bad plan, but it isn't far enough to get you a bed in any albergue! :wink:

Your experience is going to be created by you and the people you meet, including pilgrims and hospitaleros. When you return, you will be the one writing recommendations to new peregrinos who are starting out seeking information. I think everyone here would agree that the worst thing to do is begin the Camino with an sense of "I have to go here and I have to do this..." . The Camino will readjust all that, I assure you.

Be open and receptive to what the Camino brings you and allow yourself to experience everything as it comes, both the good and the bad. (Bad meaning, a blister or two, sore feet, a little rain...) Don't overplan because I think that is wherein lies disappointment. Your Camino is special and particular to you - it will be something you will treasure always.

Buen Camino,

Deirdre said:
Hi Rita,

It's wonderful to have a list of the "best albergues" along the Camino.

Be cautious about feeling the need to stay in an albergue because someone else said it is wonderful.

It is essential to be flexible on the Camino.

that the worst thing to do is begin the Camino with an sense of "I have to go here and I have to do this..." .

Buen Camino,

Hi Dierdre
Thanks for all your wonderful advice. I agree with everything that you have said. But in other threads in this forum I have read about hospitaleros for hell, bedbugs, no hot water, no place to get food etc, etc...so I think what I am looking for is not a list of "must stay" places, but , if I have noted in my book that it is a nice place that people have had good experiences in the past and it is where I will be ending my walk that day, I will make sure to check it out.

And more important I will try NOT to stay at places that have bad reputations from being very dirty, bedbugs, hospitaleros from hell, no hot water or whatever other bad experiences and conditions others have commented on.

Thanks again for such wise advice...I intend to let the camino be whatever it turns out to be for me. But I am also trying to being prepared enough to minimize any unnecessary bad experiences.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hermanita, here are a couple of places I either wouldn't stop, or would check around before I did. This is based on my experiences in 2007, so things may have changed:

Larrasoana--supposedly had a restaurant/bar open very early, but when we got there from Zubiri, there was nothing open at all. People who stayed there said there was no restaurant & not much in the shops. Zubiri, at least in 2007, was the better stop as it had 2 albergues, several hostales & restaurants, as well as a store to buy food. Haven't heard or seen anything differently since then.

Torres del Rio: absolutely no restaurant & the one bar that was open refused to serve women (you had to get a man to order you a drink!) Very tiny grocery store which quickly ran out of food for the herd of pilgrims staying there that night. Oh, & the bar owner fixed food for his friends, not for pilgrims & then let them eat in front of us. Mari (who owns the private albergue Casa Mari) made sure that her vending machines stayed stocked up (there were at least 2 deliveries while I was there) & she had people sleeping everywhere, including the kitchen. Those who had to sleep at the church were allowed inside to use the bathrooms & showers. I have heard since then that a new restaurant has opened, so the food situation might be a bit better, but make sure before you stop because it's a long walk to Viana. If the food situation has improved, I would stay here again as Casa Mari is a nice albergue.

Rabe (outside Burgos)--crazy hospitalera

Recedilla del Camino--didn't like the feel of the place as I walked through; read a blog entry about it & pretty much confirmed my impression that this is not a place to stop.

WolverineDG said:
Hermanita, here are a couple of places I either wouldn't stop, or would check around before I did. This is based on my experiences in 2007, so things may have changed:

Hi Kelly
Thanks for the valuable tips.
You always have good advice and are willing to share it. It is very helpful to us "newbies"
I am a firm believer in learning from other peoples' mistakes whenever possible.

I have read some more of your blog and am enjoying it!! Lots of good info there too!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Rita, The fact is that so many circumstances happen along the Way. You might plan to walk to such and such a place when you leave in the morning. Bad weather, or maybe even convenial company will make you change your mind!
To give an example: as you know, (because we have comunicated privately, we live in Costa Rica), so there aren't ANY guides available to buy in the bookshops here. I find out EVERYTHING over internet! I have a favourite site in Spanish: http://www.consumer.es. Not only have we downloaded and printed a comprehensive guide and made up our own personal Camino Guide using these pages, but you can visit the site regularly and read the updated comments of Pilgrims under the heading "Albergues". This is very up to date. Lots of people put in their comments. For example, I had read that the albergue in Vallafranca Montes de Oca was not to be recommended. What happened? We were walking in almost torrential rain and although we arrived at Villafranca before midday, we decided to stop (because the next leg involved going over the Montes de Oca and the albergue in S. Juan de Ortega was closed due to the recent death of the priest who ran it). We stayed at the albergue in Villafranca and were very comfortable indeed! It was maybe a bit "sterile" but absolutely nothing to complain about. And I had marked on my downloaded page "NO - don't stay here".
My two favourites of the whole Camino are (in order of starting point) Ventosa and Refugio Guacelmo in Rabenal. In these two, I really would like to stay again. For the rest, I want to try places where I haven't so far stayed (circumstances permitting)!! Don't worry, because I cannot say that I have stayed once in an Albergue where I would say "never again"!
Anne

annakappa said:
I have a favourite site in Spanish: http://www.consumer.es. Not only have we downloaded and printed a comprehensive guide and made up our own personal Camino Guide using these pages, but you can visit the site regularly and read the updated comments of Pilgrims under the heading "Albergues". This is very up to date. Lots of people put in their comments. For example, I had read that the albergue in Vallafranca Montes de Oca was not to be recommended. What happened? We were walking in almost torrential rain and although we arrived at Villafranca before midday, we decided to stop (because the next leg involved going over the Montes de Oca and the albergue in S. Juan de Ortega was closed due to the recent death of the priest who ran it). We stayed at the albergue in Villafranca and were very comfortable indeed! It was maybe a bit "sterile" but absolutely nothing to complain about. And I had marked on my downloaded page "NO - don't stay here".

My two favourites of the whole Camino are (in order of starting point) Ventosa and Refugio Guacelmo in Rabenal. Anne

Hi Anne
Thanks for your valuable input. I will check out the website. I am learning so much from the internet and will be happy to have another internet source.

Thanks for your 2 favorites, I will make note of them in my book.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rita, I forgot to mention two other albergues that we liked very much: Mansilla de las Mulas (the only one. (Great hospitalero) and Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo (also great Pilgrim attention).
Anne

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
annakappa said:
Rita, I forgot to mention two other albergues that we liked very much: Mansilla de las Mulas (the only one. (Great hospitalero) and Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo (also great Pilgrim attention).
Anne

Hi Anne
Thanks again for the tips. I will make a note of them.

I am sending you a PM

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
re: Villafranca Montes de Oca, yes true, nothing to write home about, but the people were friendly & I was there in 2007 during their annual festival. It included a walk to their local patron saint's site, which I wanted to participate in, but it was way too far out of town & too late in the day to participate in. We did get to see their floats & other preparations & the party was held in the albergue. Some complained about it because of the noise, but I just put in my ear plugs & hit the pillow. (Being able to sleep through loud noises is a family trait. ;) ) When I woke up in the middle of the night, everything was quiet. I got up & looked out the window & saw a lot of stars, including my favorite constellation, Orion. So yeah, nothing really spectacularly special about this place, but if I had to stop there again, I wouldn't mind.

Kelly

Hi Kelly
Sometimes places don't have to be anything "to write home about". But as you say the people were freindly. Sometimes that outways a lot of negatives.
And the local festival sounds like fun too. I love being in places when something special like that is going on. Its fun to see how the locals get caught up in live and are just having a great time.

I stayed mostly in albergues both private and public in 2008. On a couple of occasions when I felt like a private room with bath or shower I took inexpensive pensiones or hotels. The one I enjoyed the most was in Villafranca del Bierzo just before descent into the main part of town. I don't have the name but it had a set of stairs at the front and was finished in blue and white. The restaurant was outstanding and the inn keeper was a real gem, supplying extra towels and a brief tour of the village.

Its definitely one I would recommend and stay at again if circumstances find me there.

having said all that there are probably more of these little gems than you can count and I look forward to stumbling across two or three more this year!

Cheers

Jacobus (James)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jacobus said:
having said all that there are probably more of these little gems than you can count and I look forward to stumbling across two or three more this year!

Cheers

Jacobus (James)

Hi James
Thanks for the Villafranca albergue recommendation. I will make note of it.

And I like your last comment about stumbling across little gems. I hope to find a few myself.
And all the recommendations in this thread have been great and will be very helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back