• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best stops for planned rest days on the Le Puy route

rglongpre

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Figeac (2012); Camino Frances (August 28, 2015)
Hi all - what are your suggestions for the best stops for planned rest days on the Le Puy to SJPdP route? I am hoping to take periodic stops for some R&R along the way.

So far I have considered Conques and Moissac.

As well, what are your "must stay at" gites/auberges on the route from Le Puy to SJPdP? I leave Le Puy en Velay on September 1st. Plane tickets from Canada are now in hand to Paris and have train plans from Paris to Le Puy for August 31st.

buen camino / bon courage / bon chemin
Robert

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Robert, a few of us would recommend the Ultreia gite near the railway station at Moissac. It's run by an Irish couple who've been especially helpful to English-speaking pilgrims over the years.

Of course, Conques is a wonderful place to rest. By paying a bit more, you can get your own room at the abbey, if desired, and still enjoy the refectory and other joint activities.

Congrats on your decision.

Rob

robertt said:
Robert, a few of us would recommend the Ultreia gite near the railway station at Moissac. It's run by an Irish couple who've been especially helpful to English-speaking pilgrims over the years.

Of course, Conques is a wonderful place to rest. By paying a bit more, you can get your own room at the abbey, if desired, and still enjoy the refectory and other joint activities.

Congrats on your decision.

Rob
Rob, I much appreciate the recommendation for the Ultreia gite and about getting a room in the Abbey in Conques. Thank you. :)

Robert

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Conques and Moissac without a doubt - they were major pilgrimage points themselves in the old days and have much to offer. I too can recommend Ultreia in Moissac; for Conques, the closer you are to the church the better, since everything is built on a steep slant.

Cahors and Condom are also large towns with many services (including rail connections if you need them).

I give info on my lodging experiences in my blog (link under the blog section, above).

Hi Gitti
Thank you for a wonderful blog and beautiful photo's. I walked from Le Puy to Figeac in June this year and being a first timer I read your previous blog regarding the Le Puy route (written in August 2009) a few times before I left. Staying (and eating) in some of the places you described was so good. Hopefully I will restart from Figeac one day and make use of your blogs once again!
Sunsurf

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cool feedback, thank you, enjoy the next stages, love, Gitti

Saugues might be a bit early, but take the time to visit the museum of the Bete of the Gevaudan. You'll see him on the trail.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kitsambler said:
Conques and Moissac without a doubt - they were major pilgrimage points themselves in the old days and have much to offer. I too can recommend Ultreia in Moissac; for Conques, the closer you are to the church the better, since everything is built on a steep slant.

Cahors and Condom are also large towns with many services (including rail connections if you need them).

I give info on my lodging experiences in my blog (link under the blog section, above).
Hi Kitsambler. I am impressed with another suggestion for Ultreia in Moissac. If I can I will make a reservation for there for two nights (web URL anyone?). I will spend a half-day in Conques and Condom and perhaps a full day in Cahors. So many good suggestions. Thanks. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
falcon269 said:
http://www.ultreiamoissac.com/
Thanks for this valuable URL, Falcon. :) Now to do the booking. By the way, any suggestions for Le Puy? Accueil St François is already "complet." Of course the closer to the cathedral is better so as to make the walk to the cathedral in the early morning for the pilgrim mass less difficult as I expect it might be a bit dark at that early hour. Thanks, again.

Robert

newfydog said:
Saugues might be a bit early, but take the time to visit the museum of the Bete of the Gevaudan. You'll see him on the trail.
Newfy Dog, thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely add the museum to my "to do" list. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
falcon269 said:
http://www.lescapucins.net/gite/
Thanks again, Falcon. I have made contact and look forward to a positive answer.

grilly said:
I can recommend pretty much every 'halte de compostelle' http://www.haltesverscompostelle.fr/32322/index.html
We stopped at many of them on our way to St Jean. I see some of those I had liked seem to have closed. To be accepted as a 'halte' you have to commit to a highly hospitable way of receiving pilgrims and the meals in some cases are spectacular.
Another great URL resource! I also visited your blogsite :) and was impressed - beautiful poetry and photographs.. Thanks, Grilly.

rglongpre said:
By the way, any suggestions for Le Puy? Accueil St François is already "complet."
Robert

The Hotel:

The beds:

Attachments

• hotel.JPG
    hotel.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,712
  • bed.JPG
    bed.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,716
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't been on this route for years, but one of my most wonderful memories was going into the Conques cathedral for the evening service, which involved pilgrims who were staying in the abbey. Afterwards, they open the upper passageways and you can wander way up high in the cathedral, inches from unbelievable romanesque carvings on the capitals at the top of the unbelievably high columns, all of which are beautifully lighted. The organ was playing and it was magical. Don't miss it if you have a chance. Buen camino, Laurie

Le Puy: Another vote for Le Capuchins. They have rooms as well as dorms, and will pack a picnic lunch for you if you request when making reservation. It is convenient to leaving town in the morning, but across town from the cathedral.

Conques: Although I was not staying at the abbey gite, I happened to be in the nave about 30-45 minutes prior to vespers, and the monks invited everyone to come sing with them in the chancel. What a lovely service!

I have stayed in Conques twice now, and the first time I was told the Abbey was 'complet' when I rang so I never tried to stay there. However I later learned that each day they keep aside some beds that they do not reserve, and these are available for a certain number of people who turn up without reservations. This year when I rang, I was also unable to reserve, but I arrived soon after 2pm when they 'opened' for the day, and I was able to get a bed in a dorm quite easily. (And in fact I could have had a single room to myself if I had chosen that option.)
Margaret

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We stayed in the Abbey at Moissac this year and it was lovely!
We also visited Ultreia, and the people there were very nice, so either place should be great!
These two, Arudy, and Borce were my favorite stops.

We walked from Lourdes...

You can see our trip notes and photos on my blog... you'll just have to scroll down to the May posts.
http://www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.co. ... issac.html

I just read your blog post Annie. You were in Moissac four days before I arrived there!
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back