• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time of the year to go?

Tio Huero

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP to Pamplona 2011
Pamplona to Longrono 2012
Sarria to Santiago 2018
Amigos,
I selfishly want the best weather and the least crowded paths and albergues for my trek. I've been told that September is ideal but that won't work for me next year. Suggestions for spring 2011 would be greatly appreciated.
Gracias ,
Dan aka Tio

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the least crowded paths and albergues for my trek

Any of the 6 routes in France, and about 15 of the routes in Spain (excluding the Camino Frances, Del Norte and Via de la Plata) should qualify!

You could try the Camino Norte. It's much less crowded than the Frances and being near the coast the weather is a little milder in summer. I'm walking it in June next year which is supposed to be a lovely time. I think May would be ideal though, which could work out for you.
Happy planning!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Camino del Norte from mid April to mid May. Very few peregrinos as I was the only one at albergues for several nights; sometimes it got lonely. The weather was really good. It didn't rain too much and when it did it was usually just a few hours. I can only remember one or two days of constant rain.

Check my Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/sethfromsomewhere/collections/72157620680107942/, for pictures of what the weather was like.

If this is your first Camino then it has to be the Camino Frances where it is all at . October is a great month on the Camino with all the Autum colours but it can be a little Chilly. I gather that it is ease that you seek and not solitude. There will still be plenty of pilgrims around to keep you company but at that time of year there should always be plenty of beds availale in the Albergues , many of which are still open.
On the other hand , spring is magic - many Albergues re-open mid March/begining April . It does get very busy over Easter although I have had some of my best experiences over this time. If it gets too busy for your liking , get private rooms for a day or two.
To sum up , Spring or Autum on the Camino Frances - there we go , decision made - enjoy. :arrow:

When I see the label "Camino del Norte" my heart starts racing, for nearly a year now I have been searching, planning, asking questions etc. and this site has introduced me to some amazing friends and advisors and Silly Doll put the 2nd to last info gathering in place for me. I will be On the Way from SA 10 June 2011, first to hopefully, work as a Hospitalero (trained by the Earth Angel herself) from the Confraternity of St James South Africa. Jose who is in Irun will let me know in Jan 2011 if he has a post for me, after 10 days of being a Volunteer Hospitalero, I start my Walking part of the Camino Del Norte and branch off at Oviedo to Walk the Primitivo.

I have chosen June and July because it is before the Spainish holidays and big crowds, I gather the accommodation is not always easy to find, but I know I will be guided well. The weather is unpredictable, some years June/July has a lot of rain and if you are in the mountains it could be very slippery and uncomfortable other sites I have visited say June/July could be the best time, clear days rainy nights. Well I take it as will be for 2011, just great, and the other advantage for me is that it is not to crowded.

A bit of homework and help from this site and then your heart will tell you "the best time of the year to go"

Joy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do you feel as optimistic about the Month of November as October - I am planning to begin on Oct 24, but am now getting concerned that I may not run in to many other pilgrims and find limited accommodation?? Thoughts?

RENSHAW said:
If this is your first Camino then it has to be the Camino Frances where it is all at . October is a great month on the Camino with all the Autum colours but it can be a little Chilly. I gather that it is ease that you seek and not solitude. There will still be plenty of pilgrims around to keep you company but at that time of year there should always be plenty of beds availale in the Albergues , many of which are still open.
On the other hand , spring is magic - many Albergues re-open mid March/begining April . It does get very busy over Easter although I have had some of my best experiences over this time. If it gets too busy for your liking , get private rooms for a day or two.
To sum up , Spring or Autum on the Camino Frances - there we go , decision made - enjoy. :arrow:

I went for the first time in the Spring of '08 end of april through May. Loved it so much. Lots of blooming broom and lavender. White asparagus to eat. Smells were amazing. I love and watch birds and of course in the Spring they are also nesting and plentiful.

This year I went in September and Oct. Had to come back early because of a back problem. I have to say that everything was dry and spent. As you would expect. I live in NH so I love the Autumn. Not so much in Spain. Plenty of people around though and nice not to have so many crowds.

Good luck and enjoy!

There's no question about it. The best time of year to walk the camino is mid-May and June. If you begin in mid-May, you will see beautiful green fields of wheat and lush forests of eucalyptus. If you start any later than that, everything is a dull, bleak, brown. The weather in May is much more desirable also. It's not too hot. I couldn't imagine going any other time of the year. :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
candacecarnahan said:
Do you feel as optimistic about the Month of November as October - I am planning to begin on Oct 24, but am now getting concerned that I may not run in to many other pilgrims and find limited accommodation?? Thoughts?

I too am concerned that there will be less available than in summer ... But there will be enough even if it means having days shorter and longer as desired.

I'm planning to start from SJPP on 24 October ... if jet lag and weather allow ... so there will be a least two of us Canucks on the route ... Look for the grey beard and the oversize arcterix pack.

Ken

I am planning to go in September 15 until I finish who has done the camino during that time that can tell me what kind of items is good to take?

Aileen5 said:
I am planning to go in September 15 until I finish who has done the camino during that time that can tell me what kind of items is good to take?
Hola, Aileen,
I walked from SJPP beginning on Sept. 12th and finished in SdC on October 18th. As far as outer clothing, I took a pair of long wicking shorts as well as a pair of long wicking pants, 3 t-shirts made of wicking material, as well as a long sleeved shirt made of the same material.I ended up having to purchase a jacket and long-johns in Burgos because it got very chilly by then, especially in the mornings and evenings. I dressed in layers and would shed down to a t-shirt most days from mid-morning through the afternoon. . Note: It was wet, cold and windy when I went over the Pyrenees the first 2 days, but then it was warm after that (22-26 C) for a week or so, but not uncomfortable. Wear sunscreen, always, and don't forget about your neck and the backs of your legs if you are wearing shorts :)
Each year, each season is different. It rained for two days when I started, then for 2.5 days before I got to Santiago. As you will read on the forum, Galicia is pretty rainy, so prepare for it by embracing the rain. It is actually beautiful once you get over being wet! :). Hopefully, it won't be too rainy, though...
Buen Camino, Pilgrim!
Bozzie
(Dee Anne)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started walking from SJPP on Sep 15 last year and walked to SDC and on to Muxia and FInisterre. My blog has daily entries as well as planning entries with my complete packing list and at the end my thoughts and recomendations on every albergue I stayed at.

Dan
danscaminotravels.wordpress.co

I met a pilgrim who'd started in Essen and had an interesting perspective on it. He said:

"There is no best time for a pilgrimage. You go when you can and you leave from where you are."

And I think I agree with him. I walked in November, December, and January -- and I wouldn't have done it any other way. He was the only other pilgrim I met for three weeks on the Camino Catalan. I've got my journal entries up if you want to see what a December pilgrimage looks like:

http://www.sixmonthsthreeweeks.blogspot.com/2012/02/camino-entry-4.html

Amigos,
I selfishly want the best weather and the least crowded paths and albergues for my trek. I've been told that September is ideal but that won't work for me next year. Suggestions for spring 2011 would be greatly appreciated.
Gracias ,
Dan aka Tio

Hi everyone, I'm doing camino Frances right now, started early Sept at SJPDP. It is extremely overcrowded now. We got the last 2 beds in the 6th albergue we went to in SJPDP. In Roncevalles we estimate there were about 300 pilgrims there on the same night. In Zubiri we could only sleep on the bare concrete floor. After talking to other pilgrims the next morning who slept outside a supermarket in the open ground, we felt lucky for a roof over our heads. When you add up the number of beds available on each of the Brierly stages, there are only about 200 beds available. So it has been a "bed race" and be warned that many people we spoke to have been training for 6 months doing half marathons to prepare. I prepared only by walking 5 km to and from work each day, so it is not surprising that most people were practically running past us. For me the camino is as much about enjoying the walk and reflecting whilst resting in the beautiful countryside along the way. So we have had to change plans. We didn't know that you CAN book the private albergues ahead of time, and we wished that we did. Also my advice is to bring a sleeping mat (we are going to buy one now). I know some people enjoy sleeping under the stars, but after a long and hard walk I feel safer with a roof over my head. Hope this is helpful for somebody...and in case you're wondering... Yes it's still worth it! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I left SJPP on March 13th of this year. Hit just about every weather scenario and loved every minute! The route was relatively quiet for the first few weeks which i enjoyed and I never had an issue finding a place to stay. Hoping to leave around the same time again in 2015.
Buen Camino :)

I walked the Camino del Norte from mid April to mid May. Very few peregrinos as I was the only one at albergues for several nights; sometimes it got lonely. The weather was really good. It didn't rain too much and when it did it was usually just a few hours. I can only remember one or two days of constant rain.

Check my Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/sethfromsomewhere/collections/72157620680107942/, for pictures of what the weather was like.
Hi,

I'm going to walk the CdN in April/May 2015, how cold was it? I'm trying to pack as light as possible and only want to take a set of base layers and one fleece for insulation. Will I be warm enough in these and a rain shell on the cold days? Do I need to bring a light insulated jacket layer as well?

Thanks!
Ariel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would like to chip in here. What is cold for some people is balmy for others. If you are from the sub-tropics, or tropics, 15°c and 5°c is positively freezing! For people from the northern hemisphere this might be 'warm'. I have walked the Camino in May 4 times and always forget how cold it can get! To cut down on extra clothing I use above-knee socks as arm warmers and leg warmers, extra socks as gloves, thermal vest as a long sleeve top.

That is the time of the year in which I hiked, but I was on the Camino Frances. I've read quite a bit about the Camino del Norte as being a lot wetter as it is picking up the weather from the coast. It is also less "inhabited" as some of the other trails. Good luck and have fun. I'd take layers and maybe one of the light weight "stuff" down jackets. They stuff into one of the coat's pockets and add a layer of warmth. Always take the waterproof layer.

Our choice is a second lght fleece and seperate waterproofs (trousers and poncho). That way we can layer up, or wear whichever fleece is most suted to the day. I never walk with my longjohns or long sleeved vest on as they are hard to remove (for obvious reasons) when I warm up. Instead if it is really cold I wear my waterproof trousers which I can get out of easily and both fleeces if needed. In April/early May it could be cold or really warm so layering options are best as Ruby says..

If you are looking at spring, I'd suggest to keep it late just in case weather gets out of hand...

But, might I be the one to suggest a Summer Camino Frances? I personally feel like overcrowding is a symptom of planning your Camino "By the book" which can be SUPER USEFUL as a guide, but honestly, the smaller towns are where I felt the most like a Pilgrim.

If you go at the end of June, you'll make it to Santiago for Saint James Day most likely, (July 25th) and that is an incredible experience with TONS of pilgrims and VERY busy.

I think, if you start in April, a week after or before Easter, you will find rooms easier than not. But my recommendation to solve any fear of rooms problem; be prepared to change plans! All the Albergues full? Ask if there is a local who will let you sleep in their kitchen for a few Euro! Or ask the bar tender/restaurant owner if they let pilgrims sleep in the dinning room at night for a fee? These are things my group did, more than once and I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. I also spent a lot of time off the book, going a little bit less far, or walking a few extra kilometers to a different end point, and staying in these little practically nothing towns with lovely heartfelt hospitaleros who couldn't have been better for my psychie at the time, not to mention the really amazing pilgrim meals with fellows from far off lands!

If you are truly looking for good weather, solitude, and thinly populated lodgings while walking pilgrimage, I can heartily recommend the Jakobsweg in Germany and Via Jakobi in Switzerland in late May and June. The weather is fine, the meadows are blooming, and most lodgings are fully open. The Europeans are past their Whitsunday holiday and back to work or school, and the tourists have not yet arrived.

Being an American, this YOGIism comes to mind : "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded." That remark alone dissolves all my fear over lodging concerns in a puddle of hysterical laughter. (Still looking at our mid-June plan)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all many Blessings,

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in September every site i have been to tells me something different,
I don't mind coolish nights, but I would much prefer to walk days that only require a t.shirt and shorts, as I am adverse to the cold and freezing winds.

I look forward to hearing from pilgrims that have travelled in the month of september.

Happy trails,
Chelle

Hi all many Blessings,

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in September every site i have been to tells me something different,
I don't mind coolish nights, but I would much prefer to walk days that only require a t.shirt and shorts, as I am adverse to the cold and freezing winds.

I look forward to hearing from pilgrims that have travelled in the month of september.

Happy trails,
Chelle

Hola and welcome to the forum

The weather will be changing, some days will be hotter than others, it will be raining some days.
This is really the only certainty regarding weather and how this affect a person is an individual issue.
What one is accustomed to at home will have an impact how one perceive the weather other places; whether it is hot or cold.

September in Northern Spain is end of summer/beginning of autumn and the transition makes it differ from year to year.
One year it could be 20+ degree with mostly sun, while other years it could be 10+ with mostly rain.
Best advice is to wait until you get closer to the date you will depart and adjust your packing accordingly.
Here is the search result from weather+September :
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/search/1251923/?q=weather+september&o=date
It may give you some ideas about what to expect.

I hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Keep in mind that you are asking about weather from France to the Atlantic Ocean, and elevations from sea level to 1,400 meters! Even on the same day, the weather is not the same all over Spain.

I have never been "cold" in September. Mornings can be cool, especially in the higher elevations, but I have never seen cold.

If you pick Leon as the midpoint, and thus "typical," here is last year:
upload_2015-3-24_6-50-13.png

Highs were mostly in the seventies and eighties; lows mostly in the fifties. You will have exactly the same weather, but on different days!:)

Doing the Camino Norte, I have a guide from Confraternity of St. James from 2007. It was dificult to follow then and still too complicated. The Cicerone seems ok but expensive any suggestions?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back