• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time of the year to start from SJPP

mdelag

Time of past OR future Camino
**CAMINO FRANCES: LEON-SANTIAGO sept. (2015)
**CAMINO FRANCES SJPP-SANTIAGO (2019)
Hi, we are planning our 2nd Camino, this time from SJPP TO SANTIAGO (1st Camino León-Santiago), but still don’t now if September or May. We’ll like to know when is the best or less crowded in SAINT JEAN ??? After or before summer time ?? Thanks guys....BUEN CAMINO !!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hmmm...two very popular months there.
I would say September, if you start from at least the middle of the month and end up in Santiago later in October.
If you are walking it with pre-reserved accommodations? Flip a coin.

If you are hoping to encounter fewer crowds, I think the data shows September from SJPP might be less crowded, particularly as you are planning on walking all the way to Santiago. As you know, the closer to Santiago you get the more people you are likely to encounter. This will be particularly true in mid-late June.
On the other hand, in Spring things are greening up and just generally look better. I think it's likely to be hot for part of your journey at either time.

From my experience, the crowds tend to bunch up going into and out of some of the larger cities like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and even Sarria, They spread out again not long after. A way to avoid the some of the crowding is to stay in "non-Brierley" villages, that is the villages on either side of sections recommended by Mr. Brierley. No matter when you end up going, hey, you are going! That's pretty great.
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've walked in both April and September (possibly later in May would be different.) I loved both for various reasons, but if it is just about crossing the Pyrenees hands down it would be September for these reasons:
1) The weather was windy and cold in the mid-late April and clear and warm in second week of September. Obviously weather is unpredictable but its probably more dependable in September.
2) In September the hills were alive with the sound of sheep and their bells. They were absent and the hills were empty in the spring.
3) The guy with the van who sells homemade goats cheese and drinks was not there in April. This was a nice break and we carried the hard goat cheese with us for days.
4) In the fall when walking into Roncevalles all the pilgrims were gathered in the red plastic chairs/tables outside the hotel welcoming everyone. In the spring there were no plastic chairs (Im sure due to weather) and everyone just went inside.
Obviously, all of the above were impacted by the spring weather. I'm not sure when in May the tide turns and the weather is more dependable.

Thanks a lot RJM, Duayne Meyer and Susan Peacock for your sharing your experiences !!!! It seems hard to decide .... as we alteady have walked into Santiago in September and it was a really nice time of the year, we wanted to experience spring...I’ll keep you posted on our decision !!!! BUEN CAMINO !!!!

Thanks a lot RJM, Duayne Meyer and Susan Peacock for your sharing your experiences !!!! It seems hard to decide .... as we alteady have walked into Santiago in September and it was a really nice time of the year, we wanted to experience spring...I’ll keep you posted on our decision !!!! BUEN CAMINO !!!!
I say experience spring then. Crossing the Pyrenees is only a small part of it as you know. The camino looks like an entirely different walk in the spring than the fall. The wildflowers are blooming everywhere and what is brown and dusty in the fall is green. The vineyards are bare and there are no grapes but spring is definitely a beautiful time of year.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's so hard to predict the weather though isn't it.

In 2015 I started out from St Jean on 28th April. And my experiences are in bold below.

I've walked in both April and September (possibly later in May would be different.) I loved both for various reasons, but if it is just about crossing the Pyrenees hands down it would be September for these reasons:
1) The weather was windy and cold in the mid-late April and clear and warm in second week of September. Obviously weather is unpredictable but its probably more dependable in September.
In Late April I had no wind, no rain, sun and blue skies. Patches of snow left.
2) In September the hills were alive with the sound of sheep and their bells. They were absent and the hills were empty in the spring.
In Late April the only sounds I heard were birds, and animal bells.....
3) The guy with the van who sells homemade goats cheese and drinks was not there in April. This was a nice break and we carried the hard goat cheese with us for days.
In late April...........I think he was there.
4) In the fall when walking into Roncevalles all the pilgrims were gathered in the red plastic chairs/tables outside the hotel welcoming everyone. In the spring there were no plastic chairs (Im sure due to weather) and everyone just went inside.
In late April, we all sat outside in the Sun......
Obviously, all of the above were impacted by the spring weather. I'm not sure when in May the tide turns and the weather is more dependable.

I must have just been lucky ! :eek::eek:

Maybe this time (late April again) the weather will be bad :(:(

I thought about going later this year, maybe September, but thought that maybe.......
The paths might be really grubby with another 300,000 pilgrims having passed. Think TP and other 'rubbish'.
And maybe accommodation hosts are getting a bit weary and the end of the season?

Is that the case?

Hmmm...two very popular months there.
I would say September, if you start from at least the middle of the month and end up in Santiago later in October.
If you are walking it with pre-reserved accommodations? Flip a coin.
I am doing the Camino Frances for the first time and decided on late September due to possibly cooler weather. I have no experience so it will be One Step at a time, until I reach Santiago.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am doing the Camino Frances for the first time and decided on late September due to possibly cooler weather. I have no experience so it will be One Step at a time, until I reach Santiago.
I never was on the Camino Frances in October, but did finish it up in late September once. The weather was very nice, and very little rain. One day if I remember correctly. I think that in October the pilgrim numbers will have lessened considerably. At least that's what I have observed in the statistics for that month from prior years, and I've been told the weather is quite nice that month. You can research weather conditions from past years on some of the weather websites on the internet. Just pick a city in Spain and look at the last three years or so.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's so hard to predict the weather though isn't it.

In 2015 I started out from St Jean on 28th April. And my experiences are in bold below.

I must have just been lucky ! :eek::eek:

Maybe this time (late April again) the weather will be bad :(:(

I thought about going later this year, maybe September, but thought that maybe.......
The paths might be really grubby with another 300,000 pilgrims having passed. Think TP and other 'rubbish'.
And maybe accommodation hosts are getting a bit weary and the end of the season?

Is that the case?

Wow Robo. I started out the same day as you, we must have passed eachother somewhere along the way.

The conditions that spring really were perfect, not a single day of rain in a whole month, just a refreshing breeze creating waves in the oceans of wheat, perfect.

Wow Robo. I started out the same day as you, we must have passed eachother somewhere along the way.

The conditions that spring really were perfect, not a single day of rain in a whole month, just a refreshing breeze creating waves in the oceans of wheat, perfect.

Indeed, it was perfect. Though hot at times.
I wonder what this year will bring!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We started our Camino Frances last Sept. 5, 2017 and were amazed at the high number of pilgrims on the trail and competing for beds. While the weather was gorgeous and we made a lot of new friends, the walk at times resembled the Walking Dead so if you are looking for solitude in September than just be aware that this has become a very popular time of the year. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why not walk in April and repeat in September if you time. Both great walking times

If you are hoping to encounter fewer crowds, I think the data shows September from SJPP might be less crowded, particularly as you are planning on walking all the way to Santiago. As you know, the closer to Santiago you get the more people you are likely to encounter. This will be particularly true in mid-late June.
On the other hand, in Spring things are greening up and just generally look better. I think it's likely to be hot for part of your journey at either time.

From my experience, the crowds tend to bunch up going into and out of some of the larger cities like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and even Sarria, They spread out again not long after. A way to avoid the some of the crowding is to stay in "non-Brierley" villages, that is the villages on either side of sections recommended by Mr. Brierley. No matter when you end up going, hey, you are going! That's pretty great.
Buen Camino
I agree wholeheartedly with going “off-stage” (Brierley stages). That’s a great way to avoid bunching up and crowds. The albergues off stage are some of the best.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back