• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time of year to do Camino Frances?

VictoreaL

Time of past OR future Camino
I would like to walk the Camino Frances
Hello,
I am excited to consider this pilgrimage. For those who have done it, what are your suggestions for the best time of year, the best months to walk it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You just read my mind. I was just looking up the forum to see exactly that! I am hoping the do the Camino in 2017 and have started gathering great bits of info on it. I was going to do it in April but that seems to be a very busy time of year. Im worried about not getting an alburges to stay in (even if it is for one night). Plus the idea of walking to Santiago the last 100k with crowds of people, doesn't really appeal to me. Yet i like the idea of "safety in numbers too". Im sort of being put off by doing the main Camino because of the reports of partying crowds and full up alburges.

I am actually considering an alternative route (there are about 16 in total!) www.caminoways.com gives you the list. It even helps you choose the right one! Anyway thanks for starting the thread as it was exactly what i have been wondering.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
May and September are the peak departure months from SJPdP. Week 40 shows a big drop in departures. Santiago arrivals are 33-35 days afterward, so pilgrims pass through Sarria 28-30 days later.

Attachments

• stat2013(2).pdf
    301.4 KB · Views: 30
Started the CF on April 11 and completed in 36 days on May 16. It was a good time of year, except for a few days of rain. The rain was not so bad; it was the mud and clay. The soil in the part of the Camino I was walking was freshly graded, but not compacted. I quickly was carrying an additional five pounds of mud on each foot! It was cold some mornings, but I warmed up quickly when I was walking under load. It was cold at night, as the Spaniards do not turn on the heat for very long.

Not much in the way of crowds, although there were more pilgrims on the Camino than I expected.

If I were to walk the CF again, and I hope to in 2017, I would brave the heat and the crowds and go in June. Less to pack and therefore less to carry. To avoid the heat, I would just have to get on the road earlier in the morning, say O Yawn Thirty, instead of 8 am like I did this year.

I walked from April 7 to May 8 to Santiago Then on to Finnesterre by May 11. I had no issues & for the most part as I only would see 3-4 people walking. The only time I would see more was during the stops at a cafe or in cities. Yes when you get closer to Santiago it gets busy. The threads you see concerning overcrowding are real more this time of year.
You also are seeing our discussions on transport issues & how it effects things.
Bottom line you are going to really enjoy this as each of us gets personal rewards from it.
I personally may start in Roncevalles to Leon, then up to Ovideo & over to Santiago. The next time. If this is a spiritual journey as it is for me, let your instincts guide you.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,
I am excited to consider this pilgrimage. For those who have done it, what are your suggestions for the best time of year, the best months to walk it?
Hello, my wife did the Camino Frances in September /October 2013 and she had no problems at all. I returned 3 weeks ago from my Camino Frances and also no problems as well. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hello,
I am excited to conider this pilgrimage. For those who have done it, what are your suggestions for the best time of year, the best months to walk it?
I walked the Frances last year departing St. Jean sept 21. It was very busy the first few days but rapidly thinned out. The weather was great. I walked 28 days to Santiago and it was already getting cooler and wetter by then. Good time to go, I think.

I left St. Jean in early March of 2014. It was nice because I never felt that rush for a bed that summer pilgrims talk about, but there were still lots of friends to be made. Also, very few albergues were closed, most had opened up for the year.

And while you could tell there were more pilgrims after Sarria, it never really seemed too crowded.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I purchased the Brierley guide prior to booking my flights. Having no experience (and failing to ask) I booked my return flight 32 days after my arrival. This turned out to be an issue.
The tight time lines did not permit days for recovery when my body was screaming at me. (important) When I arrived in Burgos I decided to stay an extra day to experience a remarkable city and all it has to offer. (Important)
When I arrived in Santiago I could not continue to the coast.....(desperately wanted to)....or have time to decompress.
I got on the plane to come home....but I was still very much in "Camino Mode"........
I will be back again in 2016 and will give myself 45 days. This is the amount of time I feel best suits my walking speed and interests.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello,

Hi. I walked throughout May. I think I was lucky but did not have any rain and did not feel crowded although there was plenty of people to connect with if you wanted. Never encountered a full albergue and was definitely a 'late' walker, meaning that I'd generally walked from 8 or 9oclock and would roll into town mid afternoon. I wouldn't stress and take the changes to conditions, etc etc as part of the journey. My hot tip is what ever you are planning on taking.... Halve it! Buen Camino!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back