• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best time of year to walk the Frances route

rosie m

Time of past OR future Camino
none
looking for advice. I am a first time Camino walker and want to do the entire Frances route. I can only get 4 weeks off from work, so hoping that will be enough time. Would like to know if last week of March through last week of April is a good time to go weather wise. Is there still snow in the Pyrenees? How long does it take to do the SJPdP to Roncesvalles part? What is your opinion on crossing the Pyrenees via the Roncesvalles Pass or taking the less challenging route via the town Valcarlos? Which route is better at the end of March? What about the rest of the Frances route? Are there many pilgrims during this time of year? What do you recommend to bring for clothes? Can you wash and hang dry clothes at the Albergues? What are the Albergues like, are they separate rooms or a bunch of beds in one big room? Are there bathrooms/showers in the Albergues? Do you need to call ahead to reserve a bed? Can you explain about mailing stuff to Santiago? Thank you for anyone taking the time to write. I appreciate all the advice I can get. God Bless.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
looking for advice. I am a first time Camino walker and want to do the entire Frances route. I can only get 4 weeks off from work, so hoping that will be enough time. Would like to know if last week of March through last week of April is a good time to go weather wise. Is there still snow in the Pyrenees? How long does it take to do the SJPdP to Roncesvalles part? What is your opinion on crossing the Pyrenees via the Roncesvalles Pass or taking the less challenging route via the town Valcarlos? Which route is better at the end of March? What about the rest of the Frances route? Are there many pilgrims during this time of year? What do you recommend to bring for clothes? Can you wash and hang dry clothes at the Albergues? What are the Albergues like, are they separate rooms or a bunch of beds in one big room? Are there bathrooms/showers in the Albergues? Do you need to call ahead to reserve a bed? Can you explain about mailing stuff to Santiago? Thank you for anyone taking the time to write. I appreciate all the advice I can get. God Bless.
So many questions! For a quick and dirty take on them.
Weather in late March - my crystal ball isn't working. Try one of the climate sites to get a feel for what it has been like in the past.
Snow in the Pyrenees - possibly, but I walked the Valcarlos route at this time of year without seeing any snow
Transit time SJPP to Roncesvalles - how fit are you?
Taking the Napoleon Route - it is closed until the beginning of Apr, and might be closed after that depending on the weather conditions.
What about the rest of the Frances route? Not sure what you really want to know.
Are the other pilgrims? Yes
Clothes recommendations - find the search bar and look for packing lists - there is always plenty of discussion on this.
Washing etc. Yes
Albergues provide a range of accommodation from large to small dormitories and possibly private rooms.
Bathrooms etc - Yes!
Reservations - again, look for some of the recent discussions. Thoughts vary but not all places can be reserved.
Mailing forward - details at the top of the page - Services in Santiago by Ivar

Others will probably feed you a fish, and fill in the details. You might want to learn to fish and find your way around the forum a little bit as well to find out what you want to know. I would also suggest that if there is a Camino Association in your area, get in touch and attend their meetings.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, since you will start off at the end of March you don't need to worry about which route out is best as you will only be able to take the lower route, aka the Valcarlos route. This also means your concerns about snow are not as great as that route does not go as high in the mountains. It will also then take you 2 days to get to Roncesvalles, with one night in Valcarlos.

For stats on the number of people, have a look at the Pilgrim Office site:
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas/

Albergue have dorms, some are ine huge dorm, others may have 4, 8, 12 bunk beds in various routes. Take a look at the Eroski site, or Gronze, and read about the different albergues, including when they open for the season and what amenities they offer. Each one is different.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/

http://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

But they all have bathrooms with showers, sinks, etc... The Camino is not roughing it, it's more along the lines of summer camp or glamping.

In March and April you will not have to reserve.

The best time of the year to walk the Camino Frances is the time that you have available. There is no universally accepted "best" time, but in my opinion, late March through April would be a very good choice.

Please understand that people might be reluctant to re-write essays on all of those topics on this one thread, so you should keep browsing the forum! :rolleyes: You will quickly find answers (many conflicting ones, so you even have a choice:eek:) to all of your questions. If you have trouble on a particular issue, feel free to post that question.

Rosie, after reading your post on the other thread, I think that you are being pretty optimistic about being able to walk from SJPDP to Santiago when you only have 4 weeks off from work. Firstly, I don't know where you are from, but you will have at least two travel days. On the other thread you mentioned wanting to have a few days to spare. Unless you are very used to long distance walking, and can walk at least 30 km a day, every day you will not have any time to spare.
If your goal is to arrive in Santiago and you want to walk the Frances, perhaps you should start closer to Santiago, like Pamplona or Logroño. Alternatively, you can walk another route, like the Portuguese, which is shorter. It all depends on what you want to get out of the Camino.
As to all your other questions, you really need to read through the forum and other sources to answer many of those questions. There are also books on the subject, including[/U] by S. Yates, a regular here on the forum.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Doug! My man! Thanks so much for the reply and taking the time. I appreciate your wonderful advice and will most definitely surf the forum more as often as I can. (I work too many hours in the week and only have time to check out the forum on weekends. I am not in the states and serving a tour overseas). Thanks so much :)

The best time of the year to walk the Camino Frances is the time that you have available. There is no universally accepted "best" time, but in my opinion, late March through April would be a very good choice.

Please understand that people might be reluctant to re-write essays on all of those topics on this one thread, so you should keep browsing the forum! :rolleyes: You will quickly find answers (many conflicting ones, so you even have a choice:eek:) to all of your questions. If you have trouble on a particular issue, feel free to post that question.

Excellent advice Ms. C ...thanks so much for taking the time to post. I will surf the forum more. I am so happy that this forum even exists! It is a true dictionary of answers to everything you can possibly wonder about regarding walking the various Camino routes. God Bless you always and thank you :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rosie, after reading your post on the other thread, I think that you are being pretty optimistic about being able to walk from SJPDP to Santiago when you only have 4 weeks off from work. Firstly, I don't know where you are from, but you will have at least two travel days. On the other thread you mentioned wanting to have a few days to spare. Unless you are very used to long distance walking, and can walk at least 30 km a day, every day you will not have any time to spare.
If your goal is to arrive in Santiago and you want to walk the Frances, perhaps you should start closer to Santiago, like Pamplona or Logroño. Alternatively, you can walk another route, like the Portuguese, which is shorter. It all depends on what you want to get out of the Camino.
As to all your other questions, you really need to read through the forum and other sources to answer many of those questions. There are also books on the subject, including[/U] by S. Yates, a regular here on the forum.
Excellent advice. Thanks so much. I am starting at SJPdP and walking to Santiago dC and hope to walk everyday beginning at 5am and walking till dusk or later. Hopefully I will make my goal. Thanks for the tip on the book...I have already bought a few, but had not heard of this one. I'll get this one too. Thank you friend.

Excellent advice. Thanks so much. I am starting at SJPdP and walking to Santiago dC and hope to walk everyday beginning at 5am and walking till dusk or later. Hopefully I will make my goal. Thanks for the tip on the book...I have already bought a few, but had not heard of this one. I'll get this one too. Thank you friend.
Rosie, walking from dawn to dusk may be an issue: it will be dark at 5 am and difficult to see arrows. Also, not only will you wake others as you prepare to leave, but some albergues actually have departure hours, oftem around 6:30.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Rosiem:

The best time to walk the Camino is whenever you can get the time off to do it.

That said, I have done all my walks in the Spring time. Weather can not be predicted. Twice I walked through the pass on March 23 (2010,2011) and there was no snow. Lately there has been lots of snow and the pass is not open until April 1st (and after that weather dependent) because of some poor decisions made by past Peregrino's. I would estimate 6-9 hours to walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles on Napoleon route. I have never walked the Valcarlos route but am considering that route this year.

Valcarlos is your only option in March. There will be plenty of other Pilgrims. There are plenty of recommended packing lists in the forum but I recommend you bring with you whatever makes you feel comfortable. Whatever list you come up with you will probably pack too much. The difficulty of the route is that most people are not accustomed to walking a half marathon four 4 to 5 weeks every day. It takes about a week for your body to get into Camino walking shape, imo.

Albergues do have a sink to wash clothes and clothes lines to hang them. Some have a centrifugal to aid drying process and today some even have W@D's. Most albergues are group rooms though some have private rooms. There are bathrooms and showers. You can only reserve rooms at private albergues, pensions, hotels, as most community Albergues are first come first serve.

All of you questions have answers here on the forum. You can use the search bar to find individual threads.

Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:

Rosiem:

Leaving at 5:00 am is unnecessary and will alienate you with some of your fellow Peregrino's. You can easily walk 30-35 km's per day starting at 7 and walking till 4, imo. This will allow you to walk in daylight hours.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:

5.00 am till dusk, good luck with that!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am starting at SJPdP and walking to Santiago dC and hope to walk everyday beginning at 5am and walking till dusk or later.
You have already heard the objections to this. Civil twilight at SJPP at the end of Mar won't start until about 0720, and will end in the evening at around 2100. At the end of Apr in Santiago, civil twilight starts around 0700 in the morning and ends around 2245 in the evening. Starting at 0500 will mean walking for a couple of hours with artificial light in the morning, and walking through to dusk will risk not getting into an albergue if they are where you were intending to stay.

Leave aside the anti-social nature of preparing to leave from an albergue when most people still want to be sleeping, you will not have time for even a simple daily routine in the evening - bathing and laundry, eating, maintaining a journal and contact with the 'outside world', etc. Of course, if you maintain such a routine, you will leave behind the many people whose day you have ruined, including the hospitalero you disrupted in their own evening routine who was up at 0530 or 0600 to start their day, and inflict yourself on a new group of pilgrims, etc each evening and morning.

I really don't care whether or not you take time to explore the towns, marvel at the countryside, etc, but I do think that other pilgrims, hospitaleros, etc deserve some consideration.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
17.5 hours of walking in a day?
Marmelade, I don't understand your post.

The OP said she wants to walk from 5 am until dusk. In April that does mean 8pm, or 15 hours. Not my cup of tea.

It could have been worse had she decided to walk in mid-summer when I am snoring away in my bunkbed by the time goes down around 10pm. Not for me.

Add to that that the sun will get up around 7 am, so she will walk for 2 hours, in total darkness. Again, not my cup of tea.

Perhaps people do not realose that Spain has cheated the time zones and is on a more easternly zone rather than the one it should be in. This was done by Franco to allign Spain on/with Germany. This explains why Spaniards eat so late in the evening and why when crossing the border from Portugal into Spain you change hours.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The OP said she wants to walk from 5 am until dusk. In April that does mean 8pm, or 15 hours. Not my cup of tea.
@Anemone del Camino, I am not sure where you are getting your astronomical data, but at SJPP on 30 Mar, the sun will not have even set at 2000. Dusk (astronomical twilight) will start around 2130 and end shortly after 2200. In Santiago at the end of April, astronomical twilight will be from around 2245 to a bit before 2330.

So if @rosie m is being literal in her suggestion that she will be walking from 0500 to after dusk, she would be walking from 16.5 to 18.5 hours each day. I cannot see that happening, but it is what she has said she intends to do.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back