• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time to do the whole route - 40 days

Cecilia Viljoen

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk it in 2018 :)
I want to do the whole Camino (40 days). I will walk early. My plan is to not have to pack too much clothes thus has to be warm, and I want to be able to leave my cell phone and l. top at home thus not worry about booking accomodation. Want to walk into a town between noon and 2pm and find a spot to stay. I have two date spans.... 4 April to 9 May and 6 June to 11 July. Which slot would be best to fit in with what I would like to try. If neither, when would be a good alternative time?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I want to do the whole Camino (40 days). I will walk early. My plan is to not have to pack too much clothes thus has to be warm, and I want to be able to leave my cell phone and l. top at home thus not worry about booking accomodation. Want to walk into a town between noon and 2pm and find a spot to stay. I have two date spans.... 4 April to 9 May and 6 June to 11 July. Which slot would be best to fit in with what I would like to try. If neither, when would be a good alternative time?

Hi Cecilia and welcome here.
I guess you are referring to the Camino Frances as a first Camino to walk?
Take you time to browse this forum , it has a answer to lots of questions : you can use the searchfunction in the right upper corner to type in some questions. Furthermore the layout of the forum here makes it easy to find information regarding travelling to and from, sleepingarrangements and practical issues.

Most of all : do not overplan too much . Walking a Camino seldom fits in a prearranged plan and that is a very good thing ( most of the times ).;)

Happy prepping and Buen Camino!

I have two date spans.... 4 April to 9 May and 6 June to 11 July.

Hi Cecilia!!

I would chose as first option the Camino del Norte starting on the 4 April in Irun and as second option Camino del Norte starting 4 April in Irun and third option Camino Frances starting on the 4 April in Saint Jean.

The reasons:
  • CF will be too crowded in June/July and the weather, probably - almost for sure!!, is TOO hot.
  • CN could be rain April/May but the temperature will be OK, you just need something for rain (what, up to certain point, you always need).
  • If you are a little scared about the rain the CN May/June, but it will be a little crowded (not so much, by far, from the CF).
I think it is a good idea to plan which camino you will take and when to start it, but don´t plan more than than!! As Sabina indicated the Camino won´t fit your plans!! :):)

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
4 April to 9 May and 6 June to 11 July. Which slot would be best to fit in with what I would like to try.

Hi Cecilia, both dates are good.

June/July will be warmer than April/May.

If you like to start walking early, then note that sunrise in April will be about 7:30am, and sunrise in June will be about 6:30am.

So based on what you’d like to try, June/July looks like the better option.
Jill

I have two date spans.... 4 April to 9 May and 6 June to 11 July.

Mi fist option would be Camino del Norte starting in Irun on the 4 April, second Camino del Norte starting in Irun on the 6 June and third Camino Frances starting in Saint Jean on the 4 April.

Reasons:

• CF in June/July will be TOO crowded and in certain areas will be TOO hot.
  • CN in June July will be crowded, but far less crowded that the CF, the weather will be quite nice.
  • CN in April/May won´t be crowded, the temperature will be OK, it will rain time by time -> You need some clothes for rain (but basically always it is a good idea to take something for rain no mater what season you choose - a poncho will do it).
Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

I want to do the whole Camino (40 days). I will walk early. My plan is to not have to pack too many clothes thus has to be warm, and I want to be able to leave my cell phone and l. top at home thus not worry about booking accommodation. Want to walk into a town between noon and 2pm and find a spot to stay. I have two date spans.... 4 April to 9 May and 6 June to 11 July. Which slot would be best to fit in with what I would like to try. If neither, when would be a good alternative time?

Do you know which Camino you want to do? Depending on the Camino, the weather will change. For example, the weather in the Camino Portugues in April-May will be warmer and less wet than the Northern or French Camino during that period, as it tends to rain quite often during Spring on the North of Spain. On June-July the weather will definitely be warmer and less rainy in general, but the Camino will also be packed of pilgrims, so you might need to plan ahead for some accommodations, especially if you're planning to do the French Way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
40 days is a good length of time. It permits several rest days at places with things to do and see. Examples include Burgos and Leon, but there are others. Basically, every week or so, you plan to stay a second night to rest up, recover and prepare for the next segment.

Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.