• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Time to Go

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi All,

Due to financial restraints, I won't be able to do the Camino this September, which I'm really upset about. :cry:

So it looks as though I'll be heading out sometime next year. Can anyone tell me when is the best time to go?

I wish you all a Buen Camino whenever you plan on going.

Love and smiles to you all
Sonia
:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What a pity you can't go this year.
Most guide books recommend May/June and September/October

March/April can still be very cold - as it was this year - with late snows right up until early May.

May/June is springtime on the camino and everything is green, the wildflowers are spectacular and it is not too hot yet. This year was a particularly wet spring so you can expect rain and mud!

July/August can be very hot and overcrowded.

September/October is harvest time - the heat of summer is over and the European holiday makers have largely gone back to school/college/work.

Buen camino for next year.

Sonia,

Very sorry to hear that you can't make it this year as you have been one of the driving forces behind me making my decision to go in October, but I know you will make it next year.

Keep smilin'

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I need your advice

Hi Folks,

Thank you all for all your support, it means sooo much to me.

I've been in contact with the airline, the ticket I've purchased is very restrictive, I need to use my ticket and be back in Oz by the 30th May.

So my next question is, what's it like walking the Camino mid April to the end of May?

As someone once stated to me, "the Camino has already started" and indeed it has....I've got to start laughing now, cause I'm out of tears.

Thank you all once again for your encouraging words. I look forward hearing your stories when you get back.

All the best
Sonia
:D

Re: I need your advice

TravellingSonn said:
Hi Folks,
As someone once stated to me, "the Camino has already started" and indeed it has....I've got to start laughing now, cause I'm out of tears.

Hi Sonia,

I am pleased to hear you are at the chuckling stage.

Regarding what it is like walking April/May -
Fresco tours
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frescotours/sets/

gives you the choice of photo viewing of their April and May tours

sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

and weather details at

http://weather.msn.com/monthly_averages ... s=wc:29736

Beun Camino
Lp

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sonia,

It is just a thought, but have you asked the airline how much it would cost for you to change the fare? I know that my Sister in Law changed her ticket coming back to Australia for $50.00. You do need to know exactly what you want to do though, as it costs every time it is changed. Anyway - it may be worth a try.

Good luck, Janet

TravellingSonn said:
Hi All,

Due to financial restraints, I won't be able to do the Camino this September, which I'm really upset about. :cry:

So it looks as though I'll be heading out sometime next year. Can anyone tell me when is the best time to go?

I wish you all a Buen Camino whenever you plan on going.

Love and smiles to you all
Sonia
:)

The best time to go has to be...whenever you can... Just don't wait forever.

I have only seen the Camino in the fall and enjoyed it immensely but I suspect each season has its own particular "encantos".

Hi All,

Again, thanks for all your support and encouraging words.

JL, I contacted the airline and unfortunately I cannot upgrade my ticket. (I never realised HOW restrictive my ticket really was until now...hehehehehe)

Alas, I'm settled with the new decision I've made and I'm head over mid April/May 2008, with my new boots broken in, more $ in my back pocket, fitter than I am now, wearing and carrying the right gear, Spanish as my 3rd tongue (hehehehe...I wish) and a better understanding and appreciation to why I'm doing the Camino...heehehe

Thank you everyone, you are ALL such an inspiration to me...

Buen Camino
Sonia
:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's bad luck Sonia. I always find that things work out for the best, and so think of all the good things that will come out of going at that time. Friends of mine have gone at that time and they love it. I always have to go in the late summer / early autumn and while the heat is hard at times the ground is generally firm. The thing I miss out on is all the wildflowers - you should get to see plenty of them. The only thing that I would be cautious about is the post winter slippery ground - maybe think about poles - they may help in slippery conditions. Good luck and enjoy your preparations.

regards, Janet

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.