• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best time to stand in line to collect compostela

bobdemer

Time of past OR future Camino
cf September 2018
hi , what is the best time of day to collect my compostela (shortest lines. thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Probably early morning!

But I have to say that standing in the line last fall, we made the best of the situation!! We chatted, shared, hummed along to my music (which then got me a finger wagging!!).

Probably early morning!

But I have to say that standing in the line last fall, we made the best of the situation!! We chatted, shared, hummed along to my music (which then got me a finger wagging!!).
That's the best thing you can do .

Whis you well , Peter .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Howdy,
Go early in the morning, or even late in the day. Definitely not midday onward to about 1900. I waited over two hours (I’m not complaining about it: just the facts), because I was one of the cohort that came to town between 1200 and 1500 on our last leg. Makes a lot of sense to find a room, clean up, get a good night’s sleep and go in the morning about the time they open. I didn’t have any sense.

Regards,
Paul

Late April there was sometimes a waiting time of more than one hour at 8 in the morning .
As I already stated it is a gamble .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Howdy,
Go early in the morning, or even late in the day. Definitely not midday onward to about 1900. I waited over two hours (I’m not complaining about it: just the facts), because I was one of the cohort that came to town between 1200 and 1500 on our last leg. Makes a lot of sense to find a room, clean up, get a good night’s sleep and go in the morning about the time they open. I didn’t have any sense.

Regards,
Paul
THANKS PAUL.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On the 8th July in both 2016 and 2017 I rocked up around 8:30am and didn't have to wait at all.

We just got ours and only three people ahead of us. Of course it was close to closing time and they almost didn't let us in. But I can't remember what time that was.

In order of shortest likely queue:

1. About 19:00 (ish)
2. About 09:00

The office opens at 08:00. There are usually several dozen people waiting then. If you arrive just AFTER this ‘pig in the python,’ the wait should be moderate, < 30 minutes.

But arrive after 10:00, and the line will be > an hour.

Alternatively, come about 19:00. Most others are looking for a place to eat dinner. The last Pilgrim Mass of the day is at 19:30. So while most everyone else is in the upper old town, you go to the Pilgrim office.

Anyone who is inside the outer doors when security closes the outer doors, about 20:30 (ish) WILL be accommodated.

This will be my fifth year working as a volunteer there. The volumes have increased each year. But this pattern remains relatively the same.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found it very quiet during the 12.00 mass, which I then attended the following day.

Howdy,

Regards,
Paul
What time do they open

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
NOTE: all the above advice PREDATES the change from simply standing in queue until it was your turn, to a system based on taking a numbered ticket with a QR code in it.

Post this change, the general rule is to get to the Pilgrim Office as soon as possible, to secure your QR ticket. They stop issuing numbers once the maximum number that can be processed that day is issued. If you receive a QR ticket from the queue you will be processed that day.

This said, a high number may not be called for processing until late in the day / evening.

The takeaway is that arriving pilgrims MUST plan to go directly to the Pilgrim Office to secure a place in the queue. The system is set up so that you may be able to leave the office to do other things instead of merely standing in line.

With a smartphone, you can check the progress of the queue towards your number. Just make certain that you arrive in time, Please, do not be a ‘no show!’

hope this helps.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back