• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time to start cycling the camino frances in July

Lucky Sprite

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Pamplona October (2014)
Pamplona to Logrono April (2015)
Logrono to ? JULY (2016)
Hello Im cycling from Logrono for 5 days starting on Sunday 3 July.
I'm not sure how far I'll get I'm going to see how it goes. I've walked and cycled as far as Logrono before. I loved walking and met lots of interesting people I enjoyed the cycling too and did it with my young son again a different but amazing experience. As it's summer and high season this time I won't want to hassle walkers so wonder wot time I should set off in the morning to avoid the crowds. I'm fit and should manage 4/5 hours cycling a day but won't be racing along. Is it easy enough to meet cyclists en route too?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Because of the heat in July (and the other pilgrims waking you up at an ungodly hour) you will be on the road by 8:00 latest, more likely earlier. Buen Camino, SY

I guess it depends where you are staying. We are never in a hurry to get accommodation, but then with a bike we don't mind wandering off route a bit, and we can afford to spend what it takes to find a place. I'd take the heat over crowds. Somehow I can bike in hot weather much better than I can hike. We seldom get going before 10. We catch up with the walkers after they are well spread out, and then do a fair amount of the ride when many are waiting for the albergue to open or taking their siesta. We like to get in late, and eat late like the locals do.

Every trip we have made friends with other cyclists, often making plans to get together for pulpo and vino later.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That sounds encouraging so on the road about 10am then. Is siesta time 12-2. Wot time would u stop & turn in?
I'm so looking forward to this :)

Because of the heat in July (and the other pilgrims waking you up at an ungodly hour) you will be on the road by 8:00 latest, more likely earlier. Buen Camino, SY

So would there be plenty of cyclists on the road between 2 & 5?
When I cycled with my young son in April I remember having the road to ourselves for quite long stretches in the late afternoons and sometimes I felt a bit vulnerable. I'm sure this won't be the case in July

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So would there be plenty of cyclists on the road between 2 & 5?

Spanish are likely to be lunching. Foreigners... it depends on how hot is the day and how they bear with it but on a hot sunny day with temperatures well above 30ºC to cycle from 14:00 to 17:00 isn't the smartest idea.

So when is the best time? I don't want to dodge lots of walkers & annoy them however I find cycling in the heat easier than hiking.
Suggested cycling times anyone please?

I find cycling in the heat easier than hiking.
Suggested cycling times anyone please?

If you are fine cycling in the heat and/or if it isn't too heat, the post made by @newfydog could be the way to go. You won't avoid pilgrims but you'll meet less of them than departing earlier. I would suggest to stop around 14:00 (or earlier, depending on how hot is it and how are you bearing with it). If you don't plan to stay in albergues, you could make some more cycling in the evening. If the day isn't hot (e.g.: a cool rainy day), the afternoon and the evening would be the better times to cycle because most pilgrims will be already done by then but the problem would be to find an albergue that isn't full arriving in the evening.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are fine cycling in the heat and/or if it isn't too heat, the post made by @newfydog could be the way to go. You won't avoid pilgrims but you'll meet less of them than departing earlier. I would suggest to stop around 14:00 (or earlier, depending on how hot is it and how are you bearing with it). If you don't plan to stay in albergues, you could make some more cycling in the evening. If the day isn't hot (e.g.: a cool rainy day), the afternoon and the evening would be the better times to cycle because most pilgrims will be already done by then but the problem would be to find an albergue that isn't full arriving in the evening.
Thanks some interesting ideas here. I haven't booked accomodation yet but liked the conviviality of the albergues before. Maybe I could book ahead once I'm there..... estimate where I arrive at the end of my cycle. Im on a lean enough budget.

Cycling Spain in July faces the same issues as walking in Spain in July - its bloody HOT. IF!, you find the walkers they will have been on the road since sun-up (say 5.30 am or maybe 6.00 am). Walking/riding between midday and 14.00/15.00 (2.00/3.00 pm) is not recommended - apart from running the risk of sunburn you are also running a risk of heat stroke. So my suggestion - start early (at least 7.30 am), take plenty of water - at least 2 litres (and drink them) and stop when you feel hot, find some shade and rest. Even if there are walkers on the trail its usually easy to ride around them (use your bell and call out "bike coming"). Good luck!

What about starting really early when it's cool and before the walkers? Might that work?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What about starting really early when it's cool and before the walkers? Might that work?

That means you would start by night with all the risks involved (e.g.: you have less visibility to see if wildlife is going to cross the path). You may also find some walking pilgrims starting by night. Another point to have in mind is that by the time you reach the next town(s), it won't be that early (unless you plan to cycle just by night and stop at dawn, what arises other problems) and you'll find more walking pilgrims on the road (those that slept in those towns and are starting their day).

Definitely want to see where I'm going and enjoy the scenery so nighttime is not an option. Maybe I'll just lie in a bit and have a leisurely coffee during rush hour instead :)

I'm not sure how far I'll get I'm going to see how it goes. I've walked and cycled as far as Logrono before. I loved walking and met lots of interesting people I enjoyed the cycling too and did it with my young son again a different but amazing experience. As it's summer and high season this time I won't want to hassle walkers so wonder wot time I should set off in the morning to avoid the crowds. I'm fit and should manage 4/5 hours cycling a day but won't be racing along. Is it easy enough to meet cyclists en route too?
I think you will find that the walkers are well on thier way before you finish breakfast. You may have to switch between road and Camino depending on weather. I have seen young fit cycling pilgrims struggle on walkers camino after heavy rain. My YouTube
decribes my Camino on Road bike . P.S. Take no notice of some of the "Pureist" coments re Road V Camino on this forum, You meet lots of interesting walkers and cyclist alike either way. Buen Camino, Sean

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Sean lovely film. I have Brierley guide is it easy enough to alternate trail / road without a good map?

....I'm fit and should manage 4/5 hours cycling a day but won't be racing along. Is it easy enough to meet cyclists en route too?

As long as you are willing to go with the flow and aren't crazy about time and distance everything should work out just fine. There were times when the trail was narrow, that I would get off my bike and walk it behind a large group until the trail widened a lot or until we met a road. Then I would hop back on my bike and with them well. Don't worry about things. The Camino will provide, or at least it did for me.

As to meeting people. I found that there weren't that many bicyclists compared to hikers and so I only met a few bikers and usually we had different paces so it didn't last for long. Still when I rode with someone it was a nice safety blanket. I met lots of folks at cafes/bars and hostles/arberges. Even a laundramat while drying clothes. Most of the pilgrim meals have lots of wine, so it is easy to meet someone by raising a glass to the next table and saying Buen Camino. That broke the ice many a night.

Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back