• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time to start from Porto in the fall

LindaB

Time of past OR future Camino
bike ride Paplona to Santiago April-May 2015
Portuguese Coastal Sept 2019
Hi folks, I was supposed to start from Porto in a few days, but we had a death in the family. A couple nonrefundable reservations allow a single change of date if I make the change now.

Since my schedule is wide open for next fall, I'd like opinions on when might be best to walk Porto-SDC-Finisterre-Muxia-SDC within the August-October period. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started from Porto last October 1 and the weather was good, the Camino was not too crowded and not to empty. It seemed a good time to me for a fall camino. But I haven't walked it at other times to compare.

Most of Sept it still summer in Portugal, in terms of weather and numbers of people on the route. The whole month of Oct is pleasant to walk, might be slightly cool in the morning but warm, sometimes even hot during the day.Rains usually start at the end of Oct or in Nov, still better to have some rain gear as weather could be unpredictable, especially in Galicia. In Oct would also be enough people on the route but no rush for the beds. High season on the Portugues finishes in Nov but all the municipal albergues are open throughout the year. Bom Caminho! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too go with October. It can still be hot in September. There will be pilgrims but you won't have to worry where to sleep at night.

I started in Lisbon Sept 29 2017 and weather was too hot for me (25-31) so Tourigrino thru : Santarem, Tomar, Fatima, Coimbra-- then restart Porto Oct 9. Weather was perfect, always able to walk alone, always able to find dinner companions, always a bed, food was great, Portuguese very hospitable. So a perfect camino--except that I destroyed both Achilles from all the cobblestone walking and needed to leave after San Pedro Rates!!

I have walked it before from Porto during the July-August time frame. I thought the weather was perfect and the pilgrim numbers was perfect. Warm and sunny and no rain until Galicia. Never encountered a full albergue until Tui. Then the numbers increased, as expected, but still always found a bed in the municipals. The private ones were often booked completely via reservations.
I imagine late September-October Camino Portugues from Porto would be quite nice in terms of pilgrim numbers and weather.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am going from Coinmbrá in early November and should hit Santiago by the 21/22 Nov.
I keep fretting that everything will be closed, and that I will get wet and hypothermic... But surely others walk in November. I think "winter" is Dec. 1 through start of March? And it's always a "mild" country with winters more like the Pacific North-West?
Def. getting my flu shot before I head out though.

I have walked from Porto twice starting mid September and it is a beautiful time to walk. Two years ago it was pretty crowded. I think around October first would be good though the farther North you get the cooler and wetter it could be.

Sorry about your sad news and delay. September is beautiful and I would start around Sep.15. This is when the kids are back in school and the beaches and accommodation are less busy. Statistically, the number of days with rain increases by 50% in October vs. September.

Have a great trip.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am walking it now. I started in Porto 10 days ago. The coast was so perfect, temperature-wise (in the 70's farenheit). The last few days have been hot, around 90 degrees F.
But, with some breeze, shade, water, and a sun hat, it's really okay.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back