• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time to walk San Salvador

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
In planning for next year. Thinking of Camino Madrid then Frances to Leon, Salvador and finish Norte from Oviedo. Any suggestions on best time for the Salvador. I was the thinking of halfway through May or early June.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In planning for next year. Thinking of Camino Madrid then Frances to Leon, Salvador and finish Norte from Oviedo. Any suggestions on best time for the Salvador. I was the thinking of halfway through May or early June.
I'm planning something similar this year. Frances-->Salvador-->Norte. I start from St Jean on May 11th, so I should be on the Salvador around the first of June.

Mid may sounds like a good start time. Cercedilla to Segovia is the only snow threat on the Madrid but I would think by May all should be well. Other than Winter and very early Spring the Salvador should also be good.

Sounds like a great Camino plan, enjoy.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mid may sounds like a good start time. Cercedilla to Segovia is the only snow threat on the Madrid but I would think by May all should be well. Other than Winter and very early Spring the Salvador should also be good.

Sounds like a great Camino plan, enjoy.

Ultreya,
Joe

Late spring or summer have been the kindest to me on the Salvador. Joe, didn’t you have a lot of snow in April?

One thing to watch out for is the crunch of Spanish pilgrims in August!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked it end of May, last year and the weather was great - bright blue skies and about 15-20C
You must have got through before the weather changed. We arrived in Oviedo on May 28th. We had gorgeous weather going the highest terrain but got hit a massive hail storm descending into Pajares. The rest of the trip we were trekking in rain gear through soggy, dripping and muddy terrain. That said it is a gorgeous route no matter the weather.

Mid to late June last year was stunning. Green, verdant, flowers everywhere up on the mountain.

Planing in place for September 19. Thanks for the information

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked late September 2016, weather was good after very hot first day to La Robla.

You must have got through before the weather changed. We arrived in Oviedo on May 28th. We had gorgeous weather going the highest terrain but got hit a massive hail storm descending into Pajares. The rest of the trip we were trekking in rain gear through soggy, dripping and muddy terrain. That said it is a gorgeous route no matter the weather.
Fro
But then from Oviedo on the 26th to Santiago, via the Primitivo, almost torrential rain all the way!

Our plan is to start in Irun to Oviedo in mid May, bus Oviedo to Leon, return to Oviedo via the Salvador, and then the Primitivo. Should the weather be ok then on el Salvador?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Our plan is to start in Irun to Oviedo in mid May, bus Oviedo to Leon, return to Oviedo via the Salvador, and then the Primitivo. Should the weather be ok then on el Salvador?
Who knows. In theory from Leon to Pajares is the drier side. You are in the mountains so anything is possible at any time.

Fro

But then from Oviedo on the 26th to Santiago, via the Primitivo, almost torrential rain all the way!
[/QUOTE

We had planned to do the Primitivo too. But seeing the weather forecast and reading the reports in this forum of the condition of the terrain realized we wouldn’t make it to SJPP in the time we had left. So we decided to save it for another time and headed south on the train to find some sunshine.

We walked the Salvador in late September and the weather was perfect. Nice cool mornings and very warm days. The blackberries are ripe all along the trail at this time which it's a lovely perk! For my experience here is a link to my blog: Camino San Salvador.
Great blog. I plan to do it in Sept I climb volcanoes and mountains here at home so I hope I won't have a problem. However, I've had some serioius back problems that are resolving, I hope. Then I plan to do the Primitivo. I did half of the Norte and had to go down to the Frances at Leon due to blister, and didn't like it at all. Boring and too many people even in Oct. Thanks fior the info.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm planning something similar this year. Frances-->Salvador-->Norte. I start from St Jean on May 11th, so I should be on the Salvador around the first of June.
Do you know how many days that this trip would add, going from Leon to the Norte? that is what we would like to do too. We start out from SJPP on the 27th of April, to Orisson the first night. we have to fly back to Paris on June 3rd Would this time frame give us time?

Do you know how many days that this trip would add, going from Leon to the Norte? that is what we would like to do too. We start out from SJPP on the 27th of April, to Orisson the first night. we have to fly back to Paris on June 3rd Would this time frame give us time?
I'm planning 5 days for León to Oviedo, then 13 from Oviedo to Santiago. Of course the plan will probably go out the window at some point. I did SJPDP to Santiago in 32 days on my first Camino. I think that this hybrid version should take between 5-7 days longer. I'll let you know at the end of June! 😀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We previously went from San Sebastian on el norte to Oviedo and then on el primitivo to Santiago in 30 days. We expect an extra 5 days for el salvador?

Yes, it took us five days on the San Salvador, but I would not advise it. The third day, from Poladura de la Tercia, assuming that is where you start, all the way to the albergue in Bendueños or farther as we did to Camponanes, is a killer! If you click on the link and read my story, of day three and day four, you can see that it was a hardship, for us, and for all the pilgrims we were traveling with. It is better to take a short day to Pajares and split it up. I would only recommend the strongest hikers do it all in one day! If you split the third day, which is the most glorious of the days with stunning mountain views, you get to spend some time up there, not rush and relish the day!

There is a chart on my intro to the San Salvador that shows the possibilities of making the walk 4-9 days, depending on your abilities. You may want to look at it for your planning purposes. I wish we had done it in six! Ultreia!

Yes, it took us five days on the San Salvador, but I would not advise it. The third day, from Poladura de la Tercia, assuming that is where you start, all the way to the albergue in Bendueños or farther as we did to Camponanes, is a killer! If you click on the link and read my story, of day three and day four, you can see that it was a hardship, for us, and for all the pilgrims we were traveling with. It is better to take a short day to Pajares and split it up. I would only recommend the strongest hikers do it all in one day! If you split the third day, which is the most glorious of the days with stunning mountain views, you get to spend some time up there, not rush and relish the day!

There is a chart on my intro to the San Salvador that shows the possibilities of making the walk 4-9 days, depending on your abilities. You may want to look at it for your planning purposes. I wish we had done it in six! Ultreia!
Muchas Gracias!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

For me 6 days was best. Loved Pajares Albergue and the wonderful Hospitalera who cooked for us.

Having walked the Salvador in the 4, 5, and 6 day version, I would have to say that they are all spectacular! The 6 day version allows you to stay in both Pajares and Bendueños, which makes the most of the mountain stages and gets you to two lovely albergues. The 5 day version means you have to choose between Pajares and Bendueños (I would choose Bendueños), and the 4 day version means Pola de Gordón to Pajares to Pola de Lena to Oviedo. Being flexible allows you to make the decision on the fly, always the best option.

Thanks! I love the mountains, but my knee kind of objects. I will do it anyway! I am the boss of my knee!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can you do this walk in Mid to late April in an average year?

I know that @jpflavin1 walked in April and encountered high snow drifts. I have heard him describe the day crossing from Poladura to Pajares and there is no doubt it was very challenging.

I searched to find some of his accounts, and came across other threads describing early Salvadors. This is one. I would search the forum using the terms Salvador and April and see what you get.

I have asked Cuñarro/Ender about this many times (he is the one who did all the original marking and publicizing of the Salvador, almost singlehandedly). His advice has always been that it is not common for there to be too many snow storms in April, with the now de rigeur qualification that with climate change all bets are off. But more typically, the issue may be accummulation of snow in the mountain stretches. And there are places where the snow drifts could be dangerous. The approximately 16 km between Buiza and Arbás del Puerto can only be described as remote. No car access, no pueblos.

I have walked this route in June, September, and October, and hands down June was the winner. The vast expanses of yellow with the mountains as backdrop make it one of the most beautiful stretches on any camino I have walked. But it is always gorgeous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked this route in June, September, and October, and hands down June was the winner. The vast expanses of yellow with the mountains as backdrop make it one of the most beautiful stretches on any camino I have walked. But it is always gorgeous.
I started on June 1st 2021, and it was gorgeous. I did have some rain on the last two days.

I know that @jpflavin1 walked in April and encountered high snow drifts. I have heard him describe the day crossing from Poladura to Pajares and there is no doubt it was very challenging.

I searched to find some of his accounts, and came across other threads describing early Salvadors. This is one. I would search the forum using the terms Salvador and April and see what you get.

I have asked Cuñarro/Ender about this many times (he is the one who did all the original marking and publicizing of the Salvador, almost singlehandedly). His advice has always been that it is not common for there to be too many snow storms in April, with the now de rigeur qualification that with climate change all bets are off. But more typically, the issue may be accummulation of snow in the mountain stretches. And there are places where the snow drifts could be dangerous. The approximately 16 km between Buiza and Arbás del Puerto can only be described as remote. No car access, no pueblos.

Thank you. I wonder how it compares to early season Tour de mount Blanc which I’ve done? Guess I’ll find out

€83,-
The albergues in La Robla, Buiza, Pajares and Pola de Lena have been closed for more than a year. In La Robla, there is a pensión that saves a room for pilgrims, which is a very nice gesture because the pensiones in La Robla and Pola de Gordón tend to get filled up by workers coming in to either dismantle a coal-fired plant or some construction project.

The private albergues are open, as is the dorm option in Mieres, and there are pensiones, but people who plan to walk in the near future should be sure to have up to date info on accommodations.

Thank you. I wonder how it compares to early season Tour de mount Blanc which I’ve done? Guess I’ll find out
I have walked this route twice April 2014 and Fall 2021. The most challenging section of this walk is Buiza to Pajares, imo. My April (first week) was challenging as I had to get over 3-4 meter frozen drifts in the passes. That was followed by ankle deep mud after coming down from the mountain. Only 14 km's but I was exhausted.

I will post pictures if I can find them. They were posted for me in 2014, by Peregrina 2000 because I wanted to warn others that might be walking after me.

Found three

Attachments

• 354.JPG
    354.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 358.JPG
    358.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 351-jpg copy.jpg
    351-jpg copy.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have walked this route twice April 2014 and Fall 2021. The most challenging section of this walk is Buiza to Pajares, imo. My April (first week) was challenging as I had to get over 3-4 meter frozen drift in the passes. That was followed by ankle deep mud after coming down from the mountain. only 14 km's but I was exhausted.

I will post pictures if I can find them. They were posted for me in 2014, by Peregrina 2000 because I wanted to warn others that might be walking after me.
Very convincing. By the time I got to the route it would be about the first week of May. Any thoughts on doing it then?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very convincing. By the time I got to the route it would be about the first week of May. Any thoughts on doing it then?
I have never walked the route in May but think it should be fine by then. I

f you stop in Poladura de la Tercia, I suggest you get up early and work your way up to the Cross to be there for sunrise. It is pretty spectacular.

I 100% agree! But don't leave too early. The scenery on the way up is spectacular! Check out my photos: https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/day-three-camino-san-salvador.html
Elle, that is a detailed commentary of your day 3 on the San Salvador with beautiful pictures. I would recommend someone walking for the first time read your experience.

I have walked this route twice. Once with snow and once without. The only thing the San Salvador is missing is more walkers. A great walk if you only have a week.

€83,-
Elle, that is a detailed commentary of your day 3 on the San Salvador with beautiful pictures. I would recommend someone walking for the first time read your experience.

The only thing the San Salvador is missing is more walkers. A great walk if you only have a week.

Thank you @jpflavin1 for your nice comments. And you are so very right that this Camino needs more pilgrims! For me, being the only one not having yet done the Francés, (and most likely never will), this has extraordinary scenery even more beautiful than the fabulous Primitivo! But I like being off the beaten path so it was perfect for me!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back