• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time to walk the Le Puy

LauraWalks

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Le Puy; 2023 SW Coast England;
2024 Arles
I turn 60 years old in autumn 2022, and, to mark this event, I am walking my first Camino -- the Le Puy route. I will likely be going solo, though a friend may join me for part of the journey. I have done some basic research about the route. I am so excited for my pilgrimage! Here is my question:

At this point I have flexibility regarding the timing of my walk. My only constraint is that I must be home during the last weekend in June for a family event. (After reading posts on this forum, it seems that starting in very late May or early June would be ideal for me but that is not an option.) Does anyone have recommendations/advice about their favorite time of year to walk between April and October?

I think the main determinants for me are 1) pleasant weather; and 2) crowds / difficulty securing accommodations though i can book in advance; 3) flowers, plants, blooms, etc. Regarding weather - I know that the weather can be unpredictable - rain, snow winds.

I’m sure all the seasons are lovely, and perhaps personal preference, but interested in your views: Seeing early Spring rebirth; late spring/summer sunshine and warmth; autumn light and colors and my actual birthday season.

Thank you all for helping me decide!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Laura. You may find this fairly recent thread useful - at least regarding walking in April

There is talk from some of lots of rain and some snow on the Aubrac, but certainly not all had that experience. I started from Le Puy on 4 April and had some rain on some days. I found it a great time to walk. Not too cold, not too hot and the countryside looking gorgeous. Some prefer later. The weather is …. well, the weather.

Bon chemin. It’s a beautiful path.

PS as for April or October. All things being equal, I would say don’t put it off if you don’t have to. If the last 18 months have shown us anything it’s that life is even more unpredictable than we imagined. 🙏

Hi Laura. You may find this fairly recent thread useful - at least regarding walking in April

There is talk from some of lots of rain and some snow on the Aubrac, but certainly not all had that experience. I started from Le Puy on 4 April and had some rain on some days. I found it a great time to walk. Not too cold, not too hot and the countryside looking gorgeous. Some prefer later. The weather is …. well, the weather.

Bon chemin. It’s a beautiful path.

PS as for April or October. All things being equal, I would say don’t put it off if you don’t have to. If the last 18 months have shown us anything it’s that life is even more unpredictable than we imagined. 🙏
Hi Jenny - Thanks for the note. Yes, i have read some posts about different weather experiences in April. I guess it depends on the specific year. Re: your note about not putting off walking - that is well noted!

But I may not have been clear in my initial post: I am considering any month from April up to October - with the exception of that late June obligation. Leaning towards leaving early May or the last part of August, though I know those are busy times on the Trail. But again, very eager to hear about others' experiences and suggestions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@LauraWalks I walked the Le Puy in 2009 starting mid September and and generally it was a great time to be walking. It was a cold autumn, my photos show me in a jacket quite often, but also days of glorious sunshine when I'm in a tee shirt. I was a bit late for the grape harvest but walnuts and blackberries lined the path.

I've also walked the Le Puy in early spring, and the flowers were beautiful and it was lush and beautiful. Generally I prefer spring but the price to pay is the risk of days of rain.

@LauraWalks , we walked in 2018 from Switzerland to SdC. We left Le Puy on 9 July, and arrived in SJPdP on 30 August (we're slow walkers, and took a few rest days). As it's school holidays in France, the Camino was fairly busy. We were happy to be in the Aubrac when a heat wave hit southern France.
It was harvest time, and it was enjoyable seeing the activity in the countryside.
We booked in advance, but that was only to ensure we had a place to stay in, and I planned my stages with an average of about 15km (actually 16.5 km), as my wife was recovering from cancer.
Weather is unpredictable, but we only had 6 days of rain, two of which were summer storms.

Bon chemin, bonne route and Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked early may - early june. Weather was very nice for walking most of the time. Some colder / very rainy days with annoying mud, but that didn't make the walk any less beautiful. On the Aubrac there were lots of lovely wild daffodils in bloom :)

As others said before, there will be many french hikers in may, but I wouldn't be too put off by that. It's mostly smaller groups of friends hiking together for a long weekend, many pensioners, often radiating good mood. No hordes.

The french section / weekend hikers apparently book each day already weeks or months before and sometimes filled up whole gites, yes. But most others I met who aimed for St Jean or Santiago usually just made a phone call the day before to make a reservation, or even the same day in the morning or during lunch break. The tourist offices are very helpful with that if there's a language barrier.

If you want the demi pension option, it is always best to make a reservation the day before, regardless of season, so that the host will know for how many people they need to cook and buy supplies for.

Happy planning and buen Camino!

I turn 60 years old in autumn 2022, and, to mark this event, I am walking my first Camino -- the Le Puy route. I will likely be going solo, though a friend may join me for part of the journey. I have done some basic research about the route. I am so excited for my pilgrimage! Here is my question:

At this point I have flexibility regarding the timing of my walk. My only constraint is that I must be home during the last weekend in June for a family event. (After reading posts on this forum, it seems that starting in very late May or early June would be ideal for me but that is not an option.) Does anyone have recommendations/advice about their favorite time of year to walk between April and October?

I think the main determinants for me are 1) pleasant weather; and 2) crowds / difficulty securing accommodations though i can book in advance; 3) flowers, plants, blooms, etc. Regarding weather - I know that the weather can be unpredictable - rain, snow winds.

I’m sure all the seasons are lovely, and perhaps personal preference, but interested in your views: Seeing early Spring rebirth; late spring/summer sunshine and warmth; autumn light and colors and my actual birthday season.

Hello I walked the Camino podiensis in 2008. Long time ago. Started first week in April. It’s gorgeous and I walked alone. Wrote a book on it reflecting on women’s history and various other topic.
Have fun planning. It’s has fantastic scenery

Hi. Great Camino. I found early/mid-August start was perfect for me. Weather was good, and nearing end of French folks walking the route. I speak French so I enjoyed the opportunity to be immersed in the language but as the end of their summer, less but still some walking it in two week increments. Best of both worlds. And if continuing to Santiago, then September temperatures make that segment more pleasing as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I just walked half of it in mid September to early October. Had a couple of misty days but it was lovely. Do make reservations in advance so you know you have something in your chosen spot to overnight no matter what you hear. I didn’t and had trouble with getting spots and I had read I just needed to reserve maybe a day in advance. Good luck!

I think one should start when you yourself is ready to walk. Make your own Camino, not anyone elses.

As you can tell by the thread as many opinions as there are days in the year. We will be walking early May, let the chips fall where they May. Oh and there are 4 holidays in May for the French - enjoy and maybe see you in the path.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As you may have gathered from the other posts, both spring and fall can be delightful. I have hiked portions of this route in April/May and also in September. Were I to do the entire route again, I think I'd start in late August. The weather might be hot at the start, but I would be at higher elevations for the first 4-5 days. That would alleviate the heat.

It's a beautiful hike that combines lovely topography with charming villages.

The elevation profiles can be found here.

the Le Puy route...timing of my walk.
My initial gut reaction is: you're in France, eating French home cooking, so there is no such thing as a bad time. However, more rationally, here's my advice: start from Le Puy the second week of September, mid-week (Tues-Wed-Thurs). The biggest concentration of young retirees will start walking the first of the month (when they return the grandkids to their parents), so you will miss them. Large walking groups will start on the weekends, so you'll miss those too. This will make it much easier to find lodging as you go along. You'll have plenty of time to reach Conques or Cahors, possibly even SJPP, before the October school holidays start trimming down the number of open lodgings and the autumn rains become more frequent.

We walked the Le Puy route to Santiago starting on July 26, 1916, arriving in Santiago on October 10. I was 66. my wife 63. We had an absolutely wonderful walk, but there was some very hot weather in August. All other things being equal, I would suggest starting in mid-August if you were to decide to walk in late summer/early fall.

Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all so much for your encouragement! Yes, of course, it is 'my camino' but it is very helpful and motivating to hear your stories and experiences. Again, appreciate all of the posts.

I am looking forward to the Le Puy route in 2022. I will be walking with a friend, who is a local "pèlerin". We met on the CF in 2019 and we hit it off really well. He recommends June as a good month.

I walked this beautiful route twice, each time starting mid- September.If you have a chance there is a well known event called "la fête du Roi l'oiseau" mid-September in Puy-en -Velay it's fascinating, everybody dressed in Renaissance costumes, medieval music all over the city. Puy-en -Velay is an very interesting place to visit ( while getting free of the jet lag)
The morning mass at the Cathedral with all the pilgrims is a touching moment also. Puy-en -Velay was the only booking I made and had no problem all the way for good accommodations. Bien Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi Laura and happy early 60th! I walked Le Puy to SJPP solo for my 50th and it was absolutely epic. I left Aug 30 and arrived Sept 30. Was a glorious time of year. It was in 2018 when that heat wave happened all over Europe, so had a couple 35/38 degree afternoons, but that was a freak thing. Mostly it was beautiful. Only needed my poncho once. Was mainly shorts and a t. I used Booking.com each night to book my next days accommodations. Never had an issue. Most gites seemed to be on there. I never used a bag transport co, so kept my pack to 10.5 lbs. there are some hilly days but nothing too bad. Used Hoka One One Speedgoat 2 non-waterproof day hikers with no ankle support and was just fine. Have so much fun!

I walked in 2019 from Sep 13 to Oct 12 and I was 63. The weather was sometimes hot , cloudy, rainy, no mud and very nice for walking . I had reserved all Gite before I started because I was afraid I don't speak french. Because of that somedays were too early to arrive the Gite which didn't open. I met many pilgrims(most of them were French), only some popular Gite were fully booked ,rest of them were no problem.
I don't remember that I saw many flowers but definitely pleasant and beautiful trails I had walked.
Now I am thinking to Camino Arles in April 2022 in France which effect by Le Puy.
Whenever you walk, BUEN CAMINO!!

G’Day Laura! wishing you a wonderful chemin … great way to celebrate your milestone birthday … I did the same in 2017 with the company of my brother for some of it ♥️ apropos timing : there is no bad time to walk the Via Podiensis from Le Puy … I have walked twice from early September, weather was mostly reliable and stable with misty mornings and sunny days …

in 2019 I walked from late May [I was in the Aubrac for the transhumance festival where the cows are moved to the high summer pastures] starting around 17 or 18 May and it was wonderful … the wildflowers and wildflower meadows really stole my heart and took my breath away … and so much greenery everywhere … it was pure delight and by leaving after the middle of the month I did manage to bypass some of the key public holidays …

in mid to late-May and into June there were lots of people walking but not too many and this made for lots of lovely encounters with fellow walkers / hikers / pilgrims … when the heatwave days came in June, I got to experience the joy of early-morning walking with its ethereal light …

next year I will walk the Via Podiensis again from mid-August tagging on another chemin that starts in the Aubrac : Chemin Saint Guilhem le Desert, and ending in StJPP late October

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Laura, many great recommendations here. My 2 cents: I started in September. Le Puy en Velay is a magical place and deserves some time to explore before departure. The morning mass in Le Puy was a highlight of my trip (even tho I don't know the language, it touched me deeply). There were some hot afternoons and a handful of rainy days in 2018, but nothing that created difficulty. I booked 3-5 days in advance for the entire route, often using Tourist Info offices along the route to help me (this was necessary to inform the owners of my dietary restrictions in advance of my arrival, albeit sometimes frustrating). I found that most people walking on LePuy do book in advance, especially the first 10 days. If my memory serves correctly, we ran into more French walkers during the first 10 days (up to Conques) -- this may have had something to do with the time of year. I also recall those first 10 days being a bit more challenging due to elevation changes. Thus, if you are going to book in advance, I recommend sticking to 20km days (or less) until you are certain of your abilities on this terrain. It's such a fantastic route -- beautiful countryside, fantastic hoteliers, and such wonderful memories. Bon chemin!

I, too, spent my 60th birthday on the Le Puy, solo, leaving Le Puy on about September 30 and arriving in Roncesvalles on November 2. The weather was mostly beautiful, verging on scorching (~30-35C one week), and the countryside at its autumnal best, sans rain. HOWEVER, it was harvest season, and on long sections of the route the loud drone of farm machinery seemed to follow me from morning until night. I longed for quiet! So if I were to go again, I would probably choose the spring, which everyone says is lovely, and take my chance on the rain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked the Le Puy route to Santiago starting on July 26, 1916, arriving in Santiago on October 10. I was 66. my wife 63. We had an absolutely wonderful walk, but there was some very hot weather in August. All other things being equal, I would suggest starting in mid-August if you were to decide to walk in late summer/early fall.

Buen camino.
Do you mean 2016 perhaps? It feels like 105 years ago that I walked my last Camino too.....love

I, too, spent my 60th birthday on the Le Puy, solo, leaving Le Puy on about September 30 and arriving in Roncesvalles on November 2. The weather was mostly beautiful, verging on scorching (~30-35C one week), and the countryside at its autumnal best, sans rain. HOWEVER, it was harvest season, and on long sections of the route the loud drone of farm machinery seemed to follow me from morning until night. I longed for quiet! So if I were to go again, I would probably choose the spring, which everyone says is lovely, and take my chance on the rain.
Spring, especially late Spring leading into Summer is simply beautiful with all the wildflowers / wildflower meadows and the glorious green panoramas ... many of the traditional crops are in their infancy which is a bonus on the back-end ...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
HI From Australia I t

Thank you all for helping me decide

HI From Australia I turned 75 during the Le Puy walk . Started September 22 and walked solo to Cahors October 7 ..2019 . Perfect weather! . Hospitality amazing , food amazing so highly recommend it. Yes much tougher walk then Camino France just make sure you use 2 poles for the extreme ups and downs ! ....Garry Newcastle. If you do go in September check out Medievil Festival which I was fortunate to experience.

We walked this route mid May thru June ending in SJPP and indeed the wild flowers and roses were beautiful - fields of daffodils and narcissus on the Aubrac. We were also fortunate to see the transhumance festival in Nasbinals where the cows were decked out in their floral head-dresses. Accommodation was scarce over that weekend and we had a longer day than we would have liked - 27k down to St Chely. Weather was mixed - some torrential rains with muddy paths and a couple of road diversions ending with days in the low 30's C. Food and accommodation in the Gites were of a high standard. Mostly French walkers who were happy to speak English once we had exhausted our very limited french language skills! It is a wonderful camino - I kept a diary/blog which is on here under the pics/albums section - walking500more.wordpress.com if you are interested. Bon Chemin, Linda

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We walked in 2012 starting on 26th April. It was wet, cold and muddy but we loved it. Spring flowers were everywhere. Then we walked again, starting at the end of August in 2015. The weather was very good, in fact almost perfect. The grass was still very green. Again we loved this route.

Follow Up: Such wonderful input from you all! For 2022, I am focusing on September, since a dear friend will join me for part of the journey, and that will be meaningful to me. Should she not be able to walk - the May/June wildflowers sound too alluring, and I will walk then. It does seem as if the Le Puy route is wonderful any and every time of year. Thanks for the great information!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Remember to leave at least one month to obtain the “pass sanitaire “. You don’t want to be restrained by bureaucratic delays in France.
If possible, I may walk the Le Puy in September

Laura, I just turned 60 and will be doing Le Puy route next year starting mid-August 2022. I chose this start date because I thought it might be a little cooler and less traveled when I get to the Frances portion of the trail in mid-September.

FWIW... I noticed there is a holiday weekend August 13-15, so I'm planning on leaving right after that to avoid some of the likely traffic (and some closures).

Hope to cross your path next year.

Remember to leave at least one month to obtain the “pass sanitaire “. You don’t want to be restrained by bureaucratic delays in France.
If possible, I may walk the Le Puy in September
I'm hoping to start from Le Puy early in July. What is the pass sanitaire?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back