Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time to walk the primitivo

Hansel

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances and Fisterre (2018,08) ,Camino Primitivo, and Fisterre,(2019,04)
This has probably been covered before, bought the wise pilgrim guide, just need to buy plane tickets, walked the Frances this year, starting in SJP de Port, on the 25th July, and finishing in Muxia, I had 42 day of sun,! Looking for the best time weather wise to do the Primitivo.
Thanks Bill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’d be keen to hear best time as well! I am planning a hybrid route of CF SJPdP-Leon; Salvador Leon-Oviedo; Primitivo Oviedo-SdC. Debating late spring vs. Autumn. My brother can’t do the heat of high summer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is the big debate - Spring vs Autumn. I don't think you can decide based on the "weather" as you could end up with a hot spell, cold spell or rainy spell while in Spain. The big difference is the amount of daylight - and the difference in the plants. Some people prefer spring, while others enjoy the fall. I have walked spring and fall and had beautiful weather, but this year I walked in May into June and had rain 2 out of 3 weeks. It was a cold and rainy spring - but even rainy days on the camino are better than being in the office! You just have to book your trip and hope for the best.

This is the big debate - Spring vs Autumn. I don't think you can decide based on the "weather" as you could end up with a hot spell, cold spell or rainy spell while in Spain. The big difference is the amount of daylight - and the difference in the plants. Some people prefer spring, while others enjoy the fall. I have walked spring and fall and had beautiful weather, but this year I walked in May into June and had rain 2 out of 3 weeks. It was a cold and rainy spring - but even rainy days on the camino are better than being in the office! You just have to book your trip and hope for the best.
Thanks Canadian dreamer, I don't fancy rain for two weeks, I can get that any time of the year at home, prefer the heat to the cold, will probably book flights sooner than later,
Cheers Bill

I walked the Primitivo mid to late May and had mostly excellent weather.
Thanks , that's what I'm hoping for , guess I'll just have to have a slightly heavier pack, waterproof trousers and a light sleeping bag, both of which I managed without in August.
Bill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Putting aside getting wet, if it has rained much there are quite a few long sections which are impressively muddy. My wife and I walked the Primitivo in early July and caught the tail end of the mud. That said it’s a wonderful Camino with a beautiful ambience including the mud.

I carried a light rain jacket, but most days I just put a $1.00 plastic poncho over me and my pack and rolled up my pants to above the knee so they didn't get wet. It was too warm to wear a rain jacket, and definitely too warm for rain pants. The dollar poncho rolled up and went into a side pocket on my hip strap and was so easy to pull out and put over me every time it rained. And every time it rained I thought of the umbrella I chose to leave at home - just sitting on my bed because I didn't think I would need it!

I carried a light rain jacket, but most days I just put a $1.00 plastic poncho over me and my pack and rolled up my pants to above the knee so they didn't get wet. It was too warm to wear a rain jacket, and definitely too warm for rain pants. The dollar poncho rolled up and went into a side pocket on my hip strap and was so easy to pull out and put over me every time it rained. And every time it rained I thought of the umbrella I chose to leave at home - just sitting on my bed because I didn't think I would need it!
Thanks again, warm rain doesn't sound so bad, off to my Spanish class now, should have done it last year, but this time last year I didn't know I was going to walk a Camino !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Putting aside getting wet, if it has rained much there are quite a few long sections which are impressively muddy. My wife and I walked the Primitivo in early July and caught the tail end of the mud. That said it’s a wonderful Camino with a beautiful ambience including the mud.
So boots might be more useful than approach shoes, thanks Bill

Hi Bill, there's probably no reliable way to predict the weather. I'd avoid the winter months and early Spring in case of snow, but outside of that, you could get rain or sunshine any time!

We walked in September/October 2016. It was perfect walking weather - warm but not too hot and no rain until our last day. We wore trail shoes, rather than boots. Happy planning and Buen Camino!

This has probably been covered before, bought the wise pilgrim guide, just need to buy plane tickets, walked the Frances this year, starting in SJP de Port, on the 25th July, and finishing in Muxia, I had 42 day of sun,! Looking for the best time weather wise to do the Primitivo.
Thanks Bill
We walked it in Autumn. All I can add to the comments below was that the colors were spectacular. Loved it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Bill, there's probably no reliable way to predict the weather. I'd avoid the winter months and early Spring in case of snow, but outside of that, you could get rain or sunshine any time!

We walked in September/October 2016. It was perfect walking weather - warm but not too hot and no rain until our last day. We wore trail shoes, rather than boots. Happy planning and Buen Camino!
Thanks, I'll probably book for May time, guess the rain is a lottery !

I’d be keen to hear best time as well! I am planning a hybrid route of CF SJPdP-Leon; Salvador Leon-Oviedo; Primitivo Oviedo-SdC. Debating late spring vs. Autumn. My brother can’t do the heat of high summer.
Hi Michael, thinking of June, looked at a few weather sites , and June through to September seems to be best, I walked the Frances in August this year it was great, just trying a different time, and maybe the last 100kms won't be so busy.
Bill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walked it this September (first day was Sept.13th) and we had perfect weather, not a drop of rain. I could see numerous parts of the trail that were probably real mud holes earlier in the year, but were mostly dry when we walked.
Temperatures were around 12 C most mornings and days were mid twenties C, so really ideal.
Probably our favorite Camino walk so far.

Walked it this September (first day was Sept.13th) and we had perfect weather, not a drop of rain. I could see numerous parts of the trail that were probably real mud holes earlier in the year, but were mostly dry when we walked.
Temperatures were around 12 C most mornings and days were mid twenties C, so really ideal.
Sounds ideal, hope to get similar weather when I'm there.

I was on Primitivo a bit earlier, as I arrived to Santiago on 1st September. Occasional morning mist, a bit of rain one morning, otherwise just wonderful… In Santiago it was warm, 30+ ☺️

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
L
Likewise, thinking about this route in spring 2019!

I was on Primitivo a bit earlier, as I arrived to Santiago on 1st September. Occasional morning mist, a bit of rain one morning, otherwise just wonderful… In Santiago it was warm, 30+ ☺️
August seems to be pretty reliable, I am looking at trying a different month, missed you by about a week, I was in Santiago on the 26th August, and Muxia on the 1st Sept.

Thanks, thinking about June,
Bill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back