• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Time to walk -- VERY Advance Planning!

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All, this is a bit of an intro for my first post in the Le Puy forum along with a question.

My husband and I are planning to walk from Le Puy to Santiago in 2020. I know that is a long time from now but we have many moving parts. Between now and then we are retiring, moving cross county, and our son is getting married. These all interact with the timing of our trip. We plan to spend six months in Europe which would include the time of our walk. Oh -- neither one of us deals with walking in extreme heat very well. Plus -- I am recovering from a total ankle replacement at the moment and dreaming about our next walk is keeping me sane until I can get more active :)

OK -- with that long intro I was thinking that we could walk LePuy starting in mid May-ish, reaching SJPP by the end of June. Then take a summer break and walk in Spain (haven't decided about the Frances via the Invierno or the Norte) starting early September-ish and finishing by mid October.

Posts in this forum seem to suggest that May is a very crowded time on the Le Puy Route. But I don't know what "very crowded" means. Will we have trouble finding lodging even with advance booking? Are we going to be in a horde of French vacation walker groups ala Sarria to Santiago?

My frame of reference is the Frances in April 2013 and the Primitivo in June 2015. On both those walks we had a lovely community of walkers each evening, had some lovely walk and talks, but also spent plenty of time walking on our own. To me that is the perfect mix. We walked the Haervejen in Denmark last summer and were virtually on our own the entire time and often the only ones in the herbergs -- that was a bit too much solitude for me.

What are other opinions on the best, most beautiful or least crowded (I'm interested in all three) times to walk the Le Puy Route?

Thanks, Liz

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Glad to hear that you have walked the Haervejen in Denmark! On both of my walks there, my Danish friend and I were often the only ones in the hostel, but they were very beautiful walks!

I have no information on the LePuy Camino, but just wanted to mention that there is a ninety-day limit for visitors to the Schengen Area (which includes most of the countries in "mainland" Europe), so be sure to check the Schengen Visa Info website for details on how to legally live and travel in Europe for more than 90 days. Apparently, the penalties for overstaying your visit are quite serious!

Hi Marylynn -- We really enjoyed the Haervejen -- what we found is that most pilgrims were walking from south to north so they could end in Viborg. So the walk was very solitary. It was beautiful but solitary.

Thanks for the warning on Schengen we are very aware of the limitations and are planning around them.

Liz

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was thinking that we could walk LePuy starting in mid May-ish, reaching SJPP by the end of June. Then take a summer break and walk in Spain (haven't decided about the Frances via the Invierno or the Norte) starting early September-ish and finishing by mid October.
LePuy to SJPP takes 5-6 weeks. SJPP to SDC takes about 6-7 weeks.

Posts in this forum seem to suggest that May is a very crowded time on the Le Puy Route. But I don't know what "very crowded" means. Will we have trouble finding lodging even with advance booking? Are we going to be in a horde of French vacation walker groups ala Sarria to Santiago?
May and September are the most popular walking months because they have the best weather. There are three long holiday weekends in May: May Day on May 1, V-E Day on May 8, and Pentecost (which is a moveable feast, falling ~50 days after Easter). The French will make 4 (or 5 or 6) day weekends out of these opportunities, and like to start a holiday walk then. The young retirees like to walk in September, starting as soon as they have delivered the grandkids back to their parents. Book well ahead, especially if you have limited French, for those months. Or, start mid-week and be very flexible; you should still be calling a day or two in advance for booking. Even in those months, the numbers on the Le Puy route are about 10% of what you find on the C. Frances. Thatis, about 40-50/day.
What are other opinions on the best, most beautiful or least crowded (I'm interested in all three) times to walk the Le Puy Route?
The least crowded months would be August (quite hot), and late October through mid-March (quite cold). They problem with both those timeframes is that at least half the gites are closed for the season. Even if not officially closed, if there is no booking, the owners might take the weekend off and seek more favorable climes.

Thanks for the warning on Schengen we are very aware of the limitations and are planning around them.
As Americans you can stay longer than 90 days in the Schengen area as long as you spend those extra days in Poland and/or Denmark (only.) See this thread in the forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...eding-a-visa-updates-or-how-tos-please.46776/

This visa thing is complicated but the thread can help you to start research in spending more time in Europe.

My friend and I walked Le Puy to SDC in 2015 beginning the middle of May - arriving in SJPP around the end of June and then continuing to Santiago. We did not find it crowded at all! We met lovely pilgrims walking and had no problems finding places to stay. And, only one rain day in that portion of our walk. I would love to go back and redo at a slower pace. Enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@ebrandt , hi

I started from Le Puy on Wednesday, 6 Aptil 2016 and arrived at Saint-Jean on Monday, 1 May with two lay days. And I am far from the first blush of youth.

Easter was late March that year.

There was a significant downpour on Tuesday, 5 April and, in a few places, the going was the worse for that over the next few days.

While I had a few days below 20 km most were over 30 km.
While many gite were busy I never had a problem getting a bed. On two ocaasions it was me and a woman, and on one just me. But on many occassions my gite was comfortably full.

At various times I encountered many small groups of French, Swiss and Germans walking together. A common practice, I was told, was to take annual leave (in April even) and walk for one or two weeks. And where they finished this year was where they planned to return next year. My first such group (mother and daughter, walking for two weeks) left Le Puy the day before me and I encountered them on the Sunday at Saint-Come-d'Olt along with a group of six who had just arrived from Nice. They had started at Le Puy the year before and intended to walk to Figeac. My last encounter with them was at Conques and with the mother and daughter at Moissac. I later encountered two German men who had met in their military and despite significant differences in age (and rank) walked comfortbly together, having been given leave by their respective wives. And many other similar encounters.

I tell these stories, as an non French speaker, to indicate language was not a barrier: my stock phrase was 'Je regret, mais, je ne parle pas Francais.' And I am sure, despite my best effort, my pronunciation was more telling.

I hope this ramble is of some help to your enquiry.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Hi Alwyn, thanks for the info. Did you run into any snow or bad conditions at the higher altitudes? We walked the Frances in April which we thought was perfect, but I read something about snow possibilities through mid May. It’s further north than that Frances and higher in elevation so I assumed it was a real concern. I live in the mountains of Idaho in the US and have a healthy respect for mountain weather conditions. I guess I should do some more research on typical weather conditions in The areas of our walk

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As Americans you can stay longer than 90 days in the Schengen area as long as you spend those extra days in Poland and/or Denmark (only.) See this thread in the forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...eding-a-visa-updates-or-how-tos-please.46776/

This visa thing is complicated but the thread can help you to start research in spending more time in Europe.
Wow, thanks for this thread. I am doing some research on Long stay visas in France and Spain also. I’ll post what I discover. L

@ebrandt
While I had a few days below 20 km most were over 30 km.
I'm impressed! My average was 15-16 km; on a few occasions driven to 20-22 by geography were quite the challenge. It's important to get a sense of one's own capabilities. And the Le Puy (especially the first half) has much more up/down than the C. Frances.

I'm impressed! My average was 15-16 km; on a few occasions driven to 20-22 by geography were quite the challenge. It's important to get a sense of one's own capabilities. And the Le Puy (especially the first half) has much more up/down than the C. Frances.

We are in between you both. Our sweet spot is 22-23km/day. Occasionally we do longer days but try to never get above 30km. And shorter days are also a treat . We will probably aim for 18-22km on the hillier sections of the Le Puy walk. Liz

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Alwyn, thanks for the info. Did you run into any snow or bad conditions at the higher altitudes?

No, nor from my advance reading was I expecting any *. During the first five days I was at about 1 400 metres asl (about 4 500 feet). And it was only on the last day, about an hour or so after Nasbinals, did I encounter a little snow in north facing pockets off to one side of the path. This was now solid ice so obviously had been there for a few days at last. The days themselves were balmy and I was usually down to just a short sleeved merino top soon after setting off each day.

There was one occasion when approaching Figeac about three days later I turned to face the couple I was talking to. This had me facing north north east (NNE) and I could see white on the distant tops that did not look like clouds.

I had light rain on two occasions during my 26 days between Le Puy and Saint-Jean. Each time a car stopped shortly after it started and offered me a ride to the next town:

I gratefully and graciously accepted those offers. I am sure the original pilgrims were not hung up on having to walk all they way when offered a ride on a cart or whatever.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

* In my own backyard I would expect snow at those altitudes from August (February) until October (April). But those are quite exposed hills.

And a woman living close by here went through Montbonnet (16 km from Le Puy) twice. Both occasions were in early April and she experienced snow fall on both occasions.

Last edited:
@Kitsambler's advice accords with our experience. It was back in 2009 and 2010, but it does not seem as if things have changed much.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Look at Le French Mobile. I've used several different local sim cards in France (Orange, Bouygues) but I always seem to spend hours getting them set up. Le French Mobile is so easy.

the weather in April & May?
For the first ten days (through Conques) you are at elevation on the plateau, and April is very early spring. Snow is possible ( not likely though). May can be quite rainy - which makes the path into streams and mud-wallows. Pack for wet and changeable weather.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great thread.

I am planning to walk Sept 2020. I will have my 40th birthday while overseas.
I was to'ing and fro'ing as to which route to take, as I realistically only have two weeks to walk, but for some reason the Le Puy is very appealing to me over the other choices. I am looking at walking from Le Puy to Conques as that seems a nice part to do in the time I have. I know that not completing the whole route will have me feeling restless, but it is a big deal to even be able to go away at all for a few weeks, as my younger two children still live at home and we are not a family of 'means', we get by and live comfortably, but this kind of a trip is a really special thing so I will be very fortunate to be be there for part of the trail at all.

Alwyn, I liked reading the distances that you walked, as when I walk solo, as I will be next year, I tend to want to cover at least 25+km a day, anything less has me 'twiddling my thumbs' a little once I am done. I still enjoy the scenery, I just move fast on my own.

I had been contemplating booking my accomodation through an agency, which is very unlike me as I like to be totally independent, but in these initial stages it all seems quite overwhelming to plan out. Living in Australia, I have ventured to South East Asia several times and feel confident winging it there....but Europe! Wowsers, that's so far out of my comfort zone.

I need to be able to get myself somewhere at the conclusion of the walk to meet up with my husband, who will be traveling to watch the Moto GP race in Aragon. Oh and see me for my 40th birthday too! Once we meet up, we will travel onwards to Zaragoza, Spain and be based there for the duration of the race time, so that I may wander at leisure in the day and he may go and watch bikes go fast. I am thinking Pamplona could be a good spot to meet? Or alternatively I could travel to Toulouse or Paris and spend a day or two there with him before heading to Spain? Any thoughts from those who have actually been to Europe on where would be best to meet up would most gratefully received. Indeed ANY input on my trip planning also gratefully received- it all seems HUGE to me.

Great thread.

I am planning to walk Sept 2020. I will have my 40th birthday while overseas.
I was to'ing and fro'ing as to which route to take, as I realistically only have two weeks to walk, but for some reason the Le Puy is very appealing to me over the other choices. I am looking at walking from Le Puy to Conques as that seems a nice part to do in the time I have. I know that not completing the whole route will have me feeling restless, but it is a big deal to even be able to go away at all for a few weeks, as my younger two children still live at home and we are not a family of 'means', we get by and live comfortably, but this kind of a trip is a really special thing so I will be very fortunate to be be there for part of the trail at all.

Alwyn, I liked reading the distances that you walked, as when I walk solo, as I will be next year, I tend to want to cover at least 25+km a day, anything less has me 'twiddling my thumbs' a little once I am done. I still enjoy the scenery, I just move fast on my own.

I had been contemplating booking my accomodation through an agency, which is very unlike me as I like to be totally independent, but in these initial stages it all seems quite overwhelming to plan out. Living in Australia, I have ventured to South East Asia several times and feel confident winging it there....but Europe! Wowsers, that's so far out of my comfort zone.

I need to be able to get myself somewhere at the conclusion of the walk to meet up with my husband, who will be traveling to watch the Moto GP race in Aragon. Oh and see me for my 40th birthday too! Once we meet up, we will travel onwards to Zaragoza, Spain and be based there for the duration of the race time, so that I may wander at leisure in the day and he may go and watch bikes go fast. I am thinking Pamplona could be a good spot to meet? Or alternatively I could travel to Toulouse or Paris and spend a day or two there with him before heading to Spain? Any thoughts from those who have actually been to Europe on where would be best to meet up would most gratefully received. Indeed ANY input on my trip planning also gratefully received- it all seems HUGE to me.
I suggest that you start your own thread, to give your questions the attention they deserve. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back