• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time to walk

Reklaw

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago, 2011,2013, VdlP 2017
Hi I am thinking of walking from Carcassonne to SJPdP in 2020. Does anyone have experience of the best time, weather wise to walk please. I could go from May and am wondering if by June the weather is more likely to be dryer. I know this is a ''how long is a piece of string'' question but I thought it was worth asking. Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Reklaw. . .

What season of the year is your favorite? Do you tolerate high heat well when active for hours at a time? Do you do better with cool weather for walking outside? Does the idea of walking in rain put you off, or are you OK with doing so?

Personally, if answering based on my own likes and dislikes, I would go in the late Fall. :)

Hi Reklaw,

I was about to ask your exact question, I also would like to walk Carcassonne to SJPDP in 2020. I have walked five caminos in Spain all May/June but this will be my first long walk in France. When I asked a freind who lives in Europe (I live in Australia) about walking in May on the GR78 they did offer that European winters have dragged on of late and there may still be snow in the hills. I would prefer to deal with the heat by limiting hours walking rather than walk in the rain, I also don't have a problem with cold, just rain, like most of us I guess! I would love to hear how others have found walking May/June as opposed to say September/October. Thank you. PS I'm not a new member but I'm not quite sure how to change this on my profile or even to add other walks I've done for that matter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
PS I'm not a new member but I'm not quite sure how to change this on my profile or even to add other walks I've done for that matter.

I'm not sure you can change the status label (New Member, Veteran, etc) You CAN replace that label with one that you write, though.
  • Click on your Username in the Blue Menu Bar at the top of the page. This will open up into the 'Account Details' page.
  • Scroll down the page until you see "Custom Title". . . there will be a space for you to create a label for yourself. This will replace the designation as 'New Member'
  • After writing your new label, scroll down to where it says "Camino(s) past & future. This is where you can add your Camino resume. :)

Thanks so much davebugg, that's a big help. If only organizing some great walking weather was that simple!

Thanks so much davebugg, that's a big help. If only organizing some great walking weather was that simple!

You are welcome :)

With the weather thing, I think of it more as organizing myself to adapt to the weather, and enjoying whatever happens. This year on Camino Ingles, it was rain every day. . . but it was a GLORIOUS camino in spite of the weather. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back