• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Times?

Jami Gray

Camino <3
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm going to be turning 60 in October and I want to walk the Portugues. I'm thinking perhaps mid-late September to mid October? Thoughts? Suggestions? I can take as much time as necessary. Would also like to walk from Santiago to Muxia (last time I took a bus). Just looking for suggestions, advice, experience? Traveling from Indiana.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We'll be on the Portugues, mid September to mid October, aiming to walk a 'surf n turf' from Porto with a mix of the Senda/Coastal to Caminha crossing to Valenca, up to Santiago and on to Finisterre. With a month we've plenty of time to walk shorter stages and take rest days, and there looks to be plenty of accommodation options. Our last camino walk was at the same time of year and the weather was perfect. Perhaps we'll see you there!

We'll be on the Portugues, mid September to mid October, aiming to walk a 'surf n turf' from Porto with a mix of the Senda/Coastal to Caminha crossing to Valenca, up to Santiago and on to Finisterre. With a month we've plenty of time to walk shorter stages and take rest days, and there looks to be plenty of accommodation options. Our last camino walk was at the same time of year and the weather was perfect. Perhaps we'll see you there!
From Porto you easily can walk in 10 to 14 days to Santiago and to Múxia and Fisterre in 4 days. So you will have time to stay in Porto, Viana do Castelo, Pontevedra and Santiago as being interesting places to look around

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm going to be turning 60 in October and I want to walk the Portugues. I'm thinking perhaps mid-late September to mid October? Thoughts? Suggestions? I can take as much time as necessary. Would also like to walk from Santiago to Muxia (last time I took a bus). Just looking for suggestions, advice, experience? Traveling from Indiana.
I walked the CP from Lisbon starting early September and the weather was fantastic.

If you have not done this sort of hiking, walking recently, do get a full medical examination before you make your plans. Think of it as having your automobile serviced and checked over before a long road trip. Just as you would not your car to let you down, you would similarly not want to find out you had an undiagnosed medical problem the hard way.

Just as an aside, I am on my way to my cardiologist to get the verdict following a battery of tests. After six Caminos, being 66, and quite heavy, we are going to find up if life finally caught up with me... I still plan to walk in May... the PRimitivo from Oviedo... We will see what the doctor says...

Hope this helps.

If you have not done this sort of hiking, walking recently, do get a full medical examination before you make your plans. Think of it as having your automobile serviced and checked over before a long road trip. Just as you would not your car to let you down, you would similarly not want to find out you had an undiagnosed medical problem the hard way.

Just as an aside, I am on my way to my cardiologist to get the verdict following a battery of tests. After six Caminos, being 66, and quite heavy, we are going to find up if life finally caught up with me... I still plan to walk in May... the PRimitivo from Oviedo... We will see what the doctor says...

Hope this helps.
Be careful of the Primitivo it aint easy and alot of big hills talk your time

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
train and get in shape, walk short distances and work your way up. after a while walk with your pack. Get your lower back stronger. Make sure you have a well fitted pack. Learn how to walk. Uphill you need cardiovascular training, downhill can be really tough on older knees and hips, zig zag going down hill and of course walking poles can help although you really dont need them on the Portugues. Learn to listen to your body. It will tell you when to walk or rest and how far to go. I personally do not walk with the Camino families that many talk fondly about. I think some people push too hard and have had serious injuries and blisters when they follow a group. I think walking in your own rhythm helps so much too. But do what you feel is best for you. Alone or in a group. I like the solitude when I walk and I seem to end up making just as many friends alone as I would walking in a group. Tried it the first time I walked and it was fine. But just listen to what your body and spirit tell you it needs. The Portuguese camino is not a very hard one at all. Walked it a few years ago from Lisbon. Biggest drawback is all the road walking. I did not do the coastal variant. You should check that one out it might be to your liking after you get to Porto.

Jami
Great to hear your have plenty of time to go for a walk, to mark that special birthday in October. I'm walking from Lisbon up to SdC for my 65 th....from May ist.. ...I have also had a full checkup, and just got medical insurance to cover any issues.
Last year I did the whole CF 920 klms and loved the last walk from SdC to Muxia, (got the Muxia certificate) then one day to Finistere ( received the Finistere certificate). These are different from the Compostela, & very pretty too.
At Dumbria, there is a million $ albergue that Zara's owner built for pilgrims.
It felt different from the CF - less pilgrims, not as many bars..... but we had 3 of us walking to the end that had started from St. Jean. Lovely feelings of achievement, especially since I had a chronic foot fracture.
It was so much better than taking that bus in 2016,and not having enough time in 2017. My son really regretted that he didn't walk to Finistere then.
Hope that helps...
Love

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Go for it. Walked my first Camino when I was 65 and am headed to the VDLP now that I'm 70. September - October is is pretty good. I walked that time last year. Only thing I ran into was temperatures that were significantly warmer than expected (around 100 degrees F feels like temp). So, don't be afraid to just take a taxi or train if you need to for part or a day or a whole day. This isn't a boot camp. You can't enjoy anything if you are dehydrated or just flat out beat down by the heat.

Hope this helps.
Desejo -lhe as melhores e espero que seja um bom caminho pronto.

Wish you all the best and hope you will walk your next caminho soon.

As a follow up to my earlier comment, earlier today, my cardiologist pronounced me fit as a fiddle heart-wize, despite my age (65) and weight (about 20 kg too much). I have been cleared to Camino. So, the Camino Primitivo is on offer for May.

Whew! That was a nail-biter...

NOTE: (ADDED 5 APRIL) Plans have changed again. See long message below... Short version, no camino this year. WIll be volunteering 6 - 20 May. See below...

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a follow up to my earlier comment, earlier today, my cardiologist pronounced me fit as a fiddle heart-wize, despite my age (65) and weight (about 20 kg too much). I have been cleared to Camino. So, the Camino Primitivo is on offer for May.

Good news! You will love the Primitivo, so so beautiful! And not nearly as hard as some people say it is. Enjoy and Buen camino my friend

Davey

Man, I was really hoping to hear that!!!! Now on to your Camino. . . . which is starting to get close :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Training and longer daily walks will now begin in earnest. By the last two weeks, I am walking at least 10 km with my rucksack loaded with dummy weight.

Here in south FL there are no hills, heck a curb / kerb is a hill. And there is the heat to contend with 23 - 25 (C) every day.

But, one does what one can...

Thank you all for your support.

Hope this helps.
Good luck, Tom! It was so nice to see you last week in Florida for a two hour chat! I liked your backup plan B, too.
A Camino win-win, either way for you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hope this helps.
Fuerza, Tom! Great advice! I will be turning 65 on My next Camino in June. There are quite a few of us sextagenerians on the Caminos. Great news on the medical results. I am trying to lose the same amount of weight that my pack weighs- around 20 lbs.

Jami, I turned 64 last year on the Camino Portugues. On the last day, I realized that I was the oldest person with a near 30lb pack. This year I have reduced the weight to less than 20lbs and my wife and I decided to enjoy the walk, so we will not plan to do 25-30k in a day. Instead we have given ourselves six or seven days for the walk to Fisterra and Muxia with a two-night stay in Fisterra. This is not a race, so even if you walk a 6-10 mile day, just don’t overdo it, even if you are in good shape. Those of us who walked the Portuguese Camino mid to late June last year will attest that more than the distance was the unseasonable heat! In the end, it will be your Camino whatever you decide to do.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From Porto you easily can walk in 10 to 14 days to Santiago and to Múxia and Fisterre in 4 days. So you will have time to stay in Porto, Viana do Castelo, Pontevedra and Santiago as being interesting places to look around

Bom caminho
Thanks Albertinho! Self professed 'slow strollers' and aiming to avoid any real climbs, we've earmarked 14-16 days and mirror your suggestions as potential 'rest days'. On the CP, we'll consider the option to cross to the central earlier, mostly as a contingency in case of weather. And, we'll also consider the very real possibility of continuing up the coast to Redondela, in case we can't tear ourselves away! For the Finisterre, we're aiming for 5 days. Your experience is always welcome!

Hey.
Great to hear that you’re doing the CP, where do you plan on starting from and then I can give more advice.

Bom Caminho

I walked the CP from Lisbon starting early September and the weather was fantastic.
I will be walking from Lisbon mid September to Fatima en then onwards. Can I take pot luck with accommodation? I don't want to pre-book unless there is absolutely oher way; the joys of spontaneity...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be walking from Lisbon mid September to Fatima en then onwards. Can I take pot luck with accommodation? I don't want to pre-book unless there is absolutely oher way; the joys of spontaneity...
Sorry always read before posting... unless there is no other way...

I've just turned 69 and will be walking from Porto along the coast from mid september to first week of October. Maybe our paths will cross. Hope you have a great Camino, this is going to be my first :)

Fuerza, Tom! Great advice! I will be turning 65 on My next Camino in June. There are quite a few of us sextagenerians on the Caminos. Great news on the medical results. I am trying to lose the same amount of weight that my pack weighs- around 20 lbs.
Keto/ intermittent fasting will do it....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Miki. Good suggestion. That’s my strategy as well.

I am looking forward to any advice on this route, I am walking from Porto to SdeC starting 6 August, then Finisterre and Muxia, then Inglis. I turn 75 in July and really looking forward to the 6 week pilgrimage.

I started in Lisbon 1 Oct 2017. I loved what walking I was able to do: friendly locals, good food, enough fellow pilgrims for social dinners, nice albergues, near solitude on the trail. Temperatures from Lisbon too hot (90s) for this Oregon boy, so became a touragrino-- Tomar, Fatima, Coimbra and restarted in Porto (half the size of Lisbon with twice the charm). My Achilles were already tender, but lasted only 3 more days before such pain that I returned to USA. No matter what I did with poles, taping, inserts, boots-to-sandals, heavy ibuprofen; the frequent cobblestones took their toll.
Anyway, it is a route that I heartily recommend and a time of year I heartily recommend. I take my physical breakdown as a sign that my 2013 LePuy-Santiago is going to be my ultimate trek. Still walking and planning, but the body does not want to do over about 30,000 Fitbit paces a day (The old 'I will do discomfort, but I will not do misery' thing)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am posting this LONG message here, as many of you have followed this thread.

FIRST - please allow me to thank every person on this Forum who has followed my pre-Camino medical tests and evaluations with interest. I sincerely appreciate all the support and encouragement from all my extended Camino family.

SECOND - two weeks ago, I thought I had dodged a major 'bullet' when my cardiologist gave me a clean bill of health based on a battery of three sophisticated cardiac tests. His exact words at the time were that i " ...had the heart and arteries of a 20-year old woman..." I took that to be a very good, if perplexing analogy...

Even my general practitioner is flummoxed by that finding. To him, it was simply counter-intuitive that an overweight, mostly sedentary, 65 year old man could have ZERO calcium deposits, valve, heart muscle, or arterial hardening, or plaque build-up. But the tests proved it...go figure...

So, knowing what I was planning to do in May, the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo, he gave me two proverbial thumbs up. I was good-to-go. That was then...

THIRD - Not so fast! Being a large fellow, I had related hypertension issues. This is not abnormal for me. When my weight is up, I get higher blood pressure. When I lose weight, like 10 kg or more, it goes away. I take two daily medications to keep it regulated.

Anyway, soon after after the heart evaluation, my blood pressure started to go up and down dramatically. I had increased my daily walking from 6 to 10 km. That made me light-headed and feeling faint. I check my BP throughout the day. It was all over the place.

This past week I had additional tests and consultations. The considered opinion of two experts is that I should NOT walk a Camino this year, at least until I lose the weight and my blood pressure stabilizes without medication.

FOURTH - So, to wrap this up... NO CAMINO FOR "t2" this year! Always having a Plan B in the wings, I implemented it when Plan A was canceled.

The ACC graciously accepted my offer to work as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office from 6 - 20 May. This will be a second volunteer stint for me. My planned annual month is still from 15 July to 12 August. They did not have space in the volunteer flat, so I rented a hotel. Rooms are going FAST.

Whenever a door is closed, the Lord (or Santiago just opens another one...). Everything works out in the end. For this I am grateful.

If anyone is in Santiago whole I am there, I would be happy to meet you. You cannot miss me, I am the uber large Papa Smurf looking fellow, in the light turquoise voluntario t-shirt. Yes, I wear a short grey beard and eyeglasses too.

I am posting this LONG message here, as many of you have followed this thread.

FIRST - please allow me to thank every person on this Forum who has followed my pre-Camino medical tests and evaluations with interest. I sincerely appreciate all the support and encouragement from all my extended Camino family.

SECOND - two weeks ago, I thought I had dodged a major 'bullet' when my cardiologist gave me a clean bill of health based on a battery of three sophisticated cardiac tests. His exact words at the time were that i " ...had the heart and arteries of a 20-year old woman..." I took that to be a very good, if perplexing analogy...

Even my general practitioner is flummoxed by that finding. To him, it was simply counter-intuitive that an overweight, mostly sedentary, 65 year old man could have ZERO calcium deposits, valve, heart muscle, or arterial hardening, or plaque build-up. But the tests proved it...go figure...

So, knowing what I was planning to do in May, the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo, he gave me two proverbial thumbs up. I was good-to-go. That was then...

THIRD - Not so fast! Being a large fellow, I had related hypertension issues. This is not abnormal for me. When my weight is up, I get higher blood pressure. When I lose weight, like 10 kg or more, it goes away. I take two daily medications to keep it regulated.

Anyway, soon after after the heart evaluation, my blood pressure started to go up and down dramatically. I had increased my daily walking from 6 to 10 km. That made me light-headed and feeling faint. I check my BP throughout the day. It was all over the place.

This past week I had additional tests and consultations. The considered opinion of two experts is that I should NOT walk a Camino this year, at least until I lose the weight and my blood pressure stabilizes without medication.

FOURTH - So, to wrap this up... NO CAMINO FOR "t2" this year! Always having a Plan B in the wings, I implemented it when Plan A was canceled.

The ACC graciously accepted my offer to work as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office from 6 - 20 May. This will be a second volunteer stint for me. My planned annual month is still from 15 July to 12 August. They did not have space in the volunteer flat, so I rented a hotel. Rooms are going FAST.

Whenever a door is closed, the Lord (or Santiago just opens another one...). Everything works out in the end. For this I am grateful.

If anyone is in Santiago whole I am there, I would be happy to meet you. You cannot miss me, I am the uber large Papa Smurf looking fellow, in the light turquoise voluntario t-shirt. Yes, I wear a short grey beard and eyeglasses too.
Tom- you continue to be an inspiration to us all. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. You will have more impact on Peregrinos in the pilgrim office than on the Camino. Yesterday my 88-year old mother, who had a quadruple bypass last year,lives alone, drives everywhere, etc, told me “ You are where you are supposed to be!” I’m sure that the Primitivo be waiting for you in the future, but God must need you in the Pilgrim Office! Sorry to miss you, since we will be there in late June.

Your mom has a Camino spirit. Did you know that you can have her name put on your Compostela, as 'In Vicaro Pro' at the bottom?

This provision is reserved by official rules for devoting your pilgrimage to the benefit of EITHER a deceased person, OR someone whose advanced age or physical condition is such that could never, ever undertake a Camino - even in a wheelchair... Your plucky mom may qualify.

Ask when you get to the counter. If I am working when you arrive just look for me, and I will get you sorted... As my message above indicates, I am working from 6 - 20 May.

I am usually there from 1000 - 1500 on most days, unless they assign me to write Compostelas. In that case, I could be there anytime between 1000 and 2000

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your mom has a Camino spirit. Did you know that you can have her name put on your Compostela, as 'In Vicaro Pro' at the bottom?

This provision is reserved by official rules for devoting your pilgrimage to the benefit of EITHER a deceased person, OR someone whose advanced age or physical condition is such that could never, ever undertake a Camino - even in a wheelchair... Your plucky mom may qualify.

Ask when you get to the counter. If I am working when you arrive just look for me, and I will get you sorted... As my message above indicates, I am working from 6 - 20 May.

I am usually there from 1000 - 1500 on most days, unless they assign me to write Compostelas. In that case, I could be there anytime between 1000 and 2000

Hope this helps.
Thankyou for your wonderful service and advice. I'm walking the CP from Lisbon May 1st...... ( Good luck)
Love

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back