• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best towns to see

ap0809

Time of past OR future Camino
August September 2014
Hello will be on Camino in September 2023 and looking forward to it...have a question we only have about 21 days - wishing to start in Pamploomla - and make it to at least Leon - are there any cities to skip in order to make it to Leon in the 21 days?
thanks - any suggestions on seeing other destinations and or countries after leaving the Camino - we wish to spend 7 days in europe somewhere in one spot for some r and r. thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can walk from Pamplona to León in 21 days without skipping any cities, even without being a super-hiker.
The remnant of your question is hard to answer: it mainly depends on what you are looking for: history, art, building, feeling... ?
Europe cities are very different one from another.
During your camino, Burgos and León are worth spending a day in each of them: their cathedral is marvellous.

Completely agree with @Pafayac. You can easily walk from Pamplona to Leon in your timeframe giving you plenty of opportunity within 21 days to also explore Pamplona, Burgos, and Leon. After that, I’d recommend Madrid for rest of your stay. In addition to all there is to see in the Capital, you can also base yourself out of there for day trips.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
we wish to spend 7 days in europe somewhere in one spot for some r and r. thanks
Ah, go on, give us a clue: are you into Art & Culture ( deliberate capitalization); food and wine; a suntan and a bit of lighthearted skinny dipping? Madrid for the first, San Sebastián for the second and Sitges for the latter. But a bit more info might help the well informed members of this forum inform you 🤞

21 days at the typical pilgrim speed of about 25K/day + is over 500K.

That would get you to about Ponferrada.

Why not get to Pamplona for tourism and all pleasant alarums and excursions ; then travel by bus or howsoever to Burgos, then walk from there to Santiago ?

Or from Astorga if you really wanted max ex-Camino days ?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Andulacia…head on down south for something a little different. Granada has always been magical for me. It is a nice contrast to northern Spain and maybe a perfect 2-3 day trip.

You can walk from Pamplona to León in 21 days without skipping any cities, even without being a super-hiker.
The remnant of your question is hard to answer: it mainly depends on what you are looking for: history, art, building, feeling... ?
Europe cities are very different one from another.
During your camino, Burgos and León are worth spending a day in each of them: their cathedral is marvellous.
thank you ....sounds very doable

Ah, go on, give us a clue: are you into Art & Culture ( deliberate capitalization); food and wine; a suntan and a bit of lighthearted skinny dipping? Madrid for the first, San Sebastián for the second and Sitges for the latter. But a bit more info might help the well informed members of this forum inform you 🤞
thank you, food and wine, so looks like San Sebastian will fit the inquiry. thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two of my favorite smaller towns were Puente la Reina, where I was glad I spent the night, and Castrojerez, where I was very sorry I didn't. Castrojerez might even make a good "rest" day city, in my opinion. And Logrono was a very big, pleasant surprise, and I place I would enjoy exploring more. Burgos and Leon are both very nice cities and amazing cathedrals and have their fans. But, with apologies to the westerners in "Castillo y Leon", I liked Burgos more. Slightly better cathedral and the environs around the Burgos cathedral were better, the Santa Maria park, puente and gate by the river were delightful, and the art museum had a nice collection.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
EVERY town is worth seeing, however large or small. Please, please resist the weird and misguided advice to skip sections, jump on buses, or taxi around other sections. I truly suggest if you are going to Spain to walk the Camino, to walk the Camino. Isn't that really the point?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back