• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best towns to take two nights on CFrances

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think there have been numerous threads on this topic. Try using the search function to canvass that info, but generally people seem to use the larger towns and cities for these rest days, but it’s easy to be exhausted after sightseeing all day. A true rest day is best done (in my view) someplace where there isn’t a lot to do, or where the town is small enough to easily cover everything.

I’m a fan of Villafranca del Bierzo and Astorga.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like to have few just in case days, you can use them if you need them, or you can can go on to the coast.
I normally plan on having a rest day about every 10 days, to which I add a sick day just in case. I now also plan to spend at least four nights in Santiago. This adds a week, which works better now that I have retired and there isn't that pressure to get back home.

I don't have favourite places to take rest days, but on the CF, both times I have stopped in Burgos, and then once in Leon and the other in Astorga.

Some people plan for rest days in the bigger towns/cities to explore and do some sightseeing.

I prefer to take rests days whenever my body tells me that it needs one. That helps to minimize the risk of injury or illness.

That's also a reason why I prefer not to pre-book accommodation days ahead. That makes it difficult to rest when you need it or really love a place and would just like to stay longer.

So my advice would be to take your rest days whenever you feel you need it, or when you fall in love with a town (or albergue or group of people ) and simply want to stay a second day. You can also use them for walking "half" days: if you pass through a town and love it, just stop there instead of pushing on to the one that would be the standard stopping point.

It is one big joy of the Camino to be able to listen to your body and soul and make little decisions accordingly, instead of pre planning everything. How would you know now when/where you'll feel tired on the Camino or which places will feel right for a rest day?

Apart from that I agree that small towns are much better for rest days, because there, resting is what you'll actually do. In the big cities you'll be tempted to walk around all day. An albergue with a nice garden and / or good vibes is a plus.

The problem with recommendation for towns or accommodation is that the "feel" of a place can be different from day to day, depending on the (changing) hospitaleros, pilgrims, and one's own daily mood, and a place someone else loved, might be one you won't like at all. Better to find your own favourites.

Just my opinion of course. Others prefer to do it differently.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really enjoyed my rest days in the 4 bigger towns. As others have pointed out, i would encourage you to not plan all of them just now. Maybe you need an extra or two due to illness or exhaustion. Or if you are in just a really nice group and spontaniously want to stay an extra day somewhere.
Last time around I did spend less rest days than i had in mind because people I liked wanted to continue on and I was rested enough to stay with them. Also I did lose a day or two due to stages shorter than planned.
So all in all, my advice would be: Maybe keep Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos and Leon in mind when considering rest days, but also keep yourself the option to adjust spontaniously in case you need or want to.

I have 5 rest days that I can take after we leave SJDPD and before Santiago De Compostela. I would appreciate any recommendations of your favorite rest towns and any accommodations you really enjoyed.
One factor/question I don’t think that has touched yet is when you are walking?
SometImes availability of accommodations can be a factor. If you walk in high season, there may not be spontaneous availability for a second night in the same place or even town, especially between SJPdP and Pamplona and then, Sarria to SdC. More than likely the cities will have availability (unless a festival is taking place), though not necessarily at the same accommodation. And do be aware of town festivals,where staying a second night if not prereserved may not be possible. Timing matters!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it all depends on your interests. There are some amazing remains of early Roman estates near Moratinos that require taxi to access. There are some amazing wine region tours near Logrono and Cacabelos, just for example. From Puenta la Reina you could take a side trip to Eunate and San Juan de la Peña, the options are limitless.

Leon was my favourite - the main albergue is an old monastery and the old town of Leon is really interesting and full of life. But will it or any other place keep you entertained on your arrival day and all of the next day?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Without a doubt the best places to take a rest day is the towns when your body has told you it is time to rest.
I agree, go with the flow, wing it and be surprised. You may find an afternoon/evening is more than enough to explore, so keep the spare days for when your body/mind asks for it.

In 2014 I stayed with the Benedictine monks at Monasterio Benedictino San Salvador del Monte Irago in Rabanal del Camino. If you stay with them they ask you to stay 2 nights and join them in chanting the Divine Office throughout the day; joining them for lunch also. Rabanal del Camino is a village in the hills a days walk beyond Astorga, and the albergue adjoining the monastery only sleeps 10 and has an inner atrium garden. I thoroughly enjoyed my "forced" rest day here. Apart from the chanting and prayers, I spent the day walking with other guests, taking photographs, journalling and reflecting on my Camino.

Last edited:
So far, my 3 favorite places to stay an extra day have been Burgos, Astorga and Leon. Mainly to visit some of the churches and the Evolution museum in Burgos. There was also a medieval fest happening in Burgos one time that was fun to see. Some people like to be in towns where there are festivals, like in Pamplona or Logronos, but you don't get a lot of rest as they can be loud all night long. Others enjoy resting where it is peaceful and scenic. Alternative is to walk a few short days, when you have all afternoon and evening to explore. Perhaps Castrojeriz, Fromista, Puenta la Reina, Ponferrada, etc. would be good for those type of days?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In 2014 I stayed with the Benedictine monks at Monasterio Benedictino San Salvador del Monte Irago in Rabanal del Camino. If you stay with them they ask you to stay 2 nights and join them in chanting the Divine Office throughout the day; joining them for lunch also. Rabanal del Camino is a village in the hills a days walk beyond Astorga, and the albergue adjoining the monastery only sleeps 10 and has an inner atrium garden. I thoroughly enjoyed my "forced" rest day here. Apart from the chanting and prayers, I spent the day walking with other guests, taking photographs, journalling and reflecting on my Camino.
This sounds absolutely amazing!

SometImes availability of accommodations can be a factor. If you walk in high season, there may not be spontaneous availability for a second night in the same place or even town, especially between SJPdP and Pamplona and then, Sarria to SdC. More than likely the cities will have availability (unless a festival is taking place), though not necessarily at the same accommodation. And do be aware of town festivals,where staying a second night if not prereserved may not be possible. Timing matters!
We will leave SJPDP on Aug 25 and arrive in SDC on Oct 5

I think there have been numerous threads on this topic. Try using the search function to canvass that info, but generally people seem to use the larger towns and cities for these rest days, but it’s easy to be exhausted after sightseeing all day. A true rest day is best done (in my view) someplace where there isn’t a lot to do, or where the town is small enough to easily cover everything.

I’m a fan of Villafranca del Bierzo and Astorga.
Thanks for the advice. That makes sense - just relax and take a break instead of sight seeing on day off. I did try the search function but I must be doing something wrong. I put in “best places to rest on Camino Frances” and unrelated topics came up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Astorga, there’s a wonderful full service hotel with a SPA!
Absolute bliss!

It really depends on what you are looking for. I will echo those who say that the best place to take a rest day is wherever you happen to be when your body really needs a rest. And if that happens to be where there is nothing to do, it'll be all the easier to rest.

That said, your body may not need five rest days between Saint Jean and Santiago and what to do with the extra days? One good options is to save them. That way you'll have them if you suddenly need them later on (for example, if you get shin splints in Galicia and find that you have to rest for a few days). If you get to Santiago and find that you haven't used any, you can always walk on to Finisterre and/or Muxia.

Of course, there will be a number of great places you'll walk through on your way to Santiago. And the drive to keep moving towards Santiago may be tempered by the temptation to stay an extra day at an interesting or attractive place along the way. Or maybe the group you are walking with may want to stay an extra day somewhere and you want to stay with them. That works the other way, too, though. Maybe you read lots of great things about Burgos or Leon in this thread and decide you want a rest day there, only to find that the group you've been walking with don't want to so you change your mind so that they don't leave you behind. So who know what will happen until you are there, on the ground, in that day.

But I think you want to know which places might attract and tempt you. Of course, that depends on what you are looking for. Burgos and Leon are big bustling cities with fabulous cathedrals and lots to see and do. Astorga also has a whole host of sights to see, among which are a Pilgrimage Museum housed in a fanciful episcopal palace designed by Gaudi and a chocolate museum. If you like tapas and the bar scene, Pamplona and Logroño are well known for that. If you go a bit smaller, there are just too many delightful little towns to even try to list the ones you might want to linger in, but Villafranca del Bierzo is probably the most frequently mentioned in answers to this kind of question.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have 5 rest days that I can take after we leave SJDPD and before Santiago De Compostela. I would appreciate any recommendations of your favorite rest towns and any accommodations you really enjoyed.
We got great advice from our American Pilgrims on the camino group. They recommended an extra day in Pamplona. This would be about day 5. It is a great city to explore, great food, and a good place to simply rest after a few long days. After that - listen to your body. Our only other rest day (even though we had 6 alotted) was in Astorga. Such a fun town. After only staying in Municipal albergues, a bed, shower and bath tub were such luxury.

I normally plan on having a rest day about every 10 days, to which I add a sick day just in case. I now also plan to spend at least four nights in Santiago. This adds a week, which works better now that I have retired and there isn't that pressure to get back home.

I don't have favourite places to take rest days, but on the CF, both times I have stopped in Burgos, and then once in Leon and the other in Astorga.
Great places to rest

Last year I walked the first half of the Camino Frances. From SJPP to Leon, of all the accommodations, the best was in Castrojeriz. I recommend the Hotel Quinta San Francisco. I had booked only one night but after checking in and strolling the grounds, decided I would stay a second night. They served a delicious dinner with an impressive selection of wines. (Breakfast was also excellent!) For a small town, there was plenty to see over two days in Castrojeriz. The calm and peace were refreshing!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm intrigued by the Pamplona recommendation. If coming from SJPdP, it seems a bit early to stop for an extra night, but I'm guessing that there is enough to see to make an extra night worthwhile. I'd love to hear more from anyone who has taken extra time in Pamplona.

I have only done extra nights at Burgos and Leon. If limited to just two extra nights, I would recommend both of those as great places to recuperate and see some amazing sights.

I'm considering nights in Pamplona and Astorga on the next Camino. I raced through Pamplona when I did the Camino Frances, largely because I felt like I had enough energy to push on into the outskirts of the city (stayed at the Albergue San Saturnino -- amazing Mass at the adjacent church, incredible sunset). I regret not taking my time in Pamplona, but won't miss it (at least for one night) on the upcoming trip.

I really enjoyed my rest days in the 4 bigger towns. As others have pointed out, i would encourage you to not plan all of them just now. Maybe you need an extra or two due to illness or exhaustion. Or if you are in just a really nice group and spontaniously want to stay an extra day somewhere.
Last time around I did spend less rest days than i had in mind because people I liked wanted to continue on and I was rested enough to stay with them. Also I did lose a day or two due to stages shorter than planned.
So all in all, my advice would be: Maybe keep Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos and Leon in mind when considering rest days, but also keep yourself the option to adjust spontaniously in case you need or want to.
Logroño . . Mmmm, pincho capital of Spain . .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I never plan or take rest days. Instead, I take the bus near big cities like Burgos or Leon, so I have more time to explore them and to occasionally take a nap. In case of injury - so far I've been lucky - I would also take a bus or cab. Spending two days in one place would interrupt my Camino and I would also lose the people I am used to seeing on the way.

We are beginning our pilgrimage out of SJPDP on Aug 25 and finishing Santiago on October 5

I'll stick to Santiago. Save your days for when its needed, and if not needed, enjoy Santiago for a couple of days. Have fun watching arriving pilgrims, cold beer, good food, etc.

Attachments

• taberna.jpg
    taberna.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Leon, where I would usually be found in the Barrio Húmedo in a fairly relaxed state. Unaccountably my last 24-hour stay there saw me going through the full cycle of daily offices with the sisters of Santa Maria de Cabajal. las cabajales. I’m not Roman Catholic.

I did manage to slip out for a pie and a pint around lunchtime and, if they knew, they were good enough not to mention it.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back