• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best treat Menu del Dia?

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
Hi
Starting another CF Orisson August 21. My favourite meals on the Camino are the big social communal diners in an alburgue or a popular pilgrim menu spot, or a tapas night orgy. However I do like a break from the pilgrim menu and to treat myself to a nice lunch or dinner every now and then.

Any suggestions for nicer menu del dia on the CF 12-20 euro range?
Also any foodie/ wine experiences on the way for a blow out treat?
Cheers Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Pamplona check out La Cocina de Alex Mugica. It's at 24, Calle de la Estafeta just a short distance to the Cathedral and the main plaza. Website below.

After Burgos another place with great food and service is Hostal de Fuente de Rabe in Rabe de las Calzadas. I don't think they have dorm space there; we had a private room. Dining room is small so you are with others and could ask to join others at their table.

http://www.alexmugica.com/

http://www.hostalfuentederabe.com/
-
Buen camino.

Tom

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You want a blow out? I splurged once, and tried the 27-euro degustación lunch at Prada a Tope restaurant in León. I thought it would be an American-style tasting menu, with lots of small plates. I was wrong; it was lots of very big plates. This was the meal, for one person:

4170.JPG4171.JPG4172.JPG4173.JPG4176.JPG4180.JPG4168.JPG4169.JPG
I'm a big guy. I eat a lot. I walked the camino on the five-meal-a-day plan, and still lost weight. But this meal defeated me. My mom taught me to always clear my plate, and I was ashamed to only be able to finish half of this.

Best tapas in Spain? Bar Asador Jose in Villanua, north of Jaca, on the Aragones.

Best tapas experience: Calle Laurel, Logrono. Absolutely.

Best tapas experience outside of Logrono: Dom Luis, and the Calle San Nicolas, Pamplona.

Best spaghetti sauce in the whole world in the whole history of mankind: Restaurante las Murallas, Astorga.

Best chorizo al vino: Cafe-Bar Mazarelos, Santiago de Compostela.

a928ntgLe2hEHe-XEvrfAyN6iIKON41A9Ae5pDEky309uNFBvXWPjOqYEIfb8Q2f48GNS_0GI5Ym9V2EHuYNpmyjZpogHzAQRN4JGimDLQ-EacqO15r6FQazbh58LfcKxgk0bfPNxceWcIlsSxWpQ31pawTKaV86kFwo6bMpdm_EnRKwpAomWu-yVyZ6EqC_kDEdoliHBomFYVfCrR_NZ030uJbOshYK5krApc5epoWR31ByW1MTtzKPtbyhoBXJUMxgv9DnQjQdT93Hgugi-iip88udCA3ZrCaHu6H83gytzB_MnTAUR6yZOdgmuzAvnt5kVDW7aX6Iay_D2S1zsHAC1rr3sWJEbLcz0viIOXH1agUgNYQxp2FQmm3EI9ihWkbVU4l5Kmwvm2SOQc0vsHBGzn1FyMUiR0iIkw9N0za-AMvtZ_GWviDtL8x9AqKQFLrNOstJMGbyOHXRIZZNrYm8UtVs3AVvCJyYFyj9Ul3EJlt8vE00nSRHWJCUqNQ8pJf-8VrApLeeqpkwHl6xQiF__QOIb0fExVWPo7AY2RTWChAlPaBzdya4-QcMvmSlkJL3oj483Xd-JMSV7wdU0CGkW4II00ljFjwYAd0=w1263-h947-no

:)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Calle Laurel is definitely a place for tapas crawl.
A bit less so Barrio Humedo in Leon but almost equally rewarding.

But you can find nice surprises even on the stands at local fiestas :)

A very special restaurant that comes to my mind is Restaurant Comosapiens in Atapuerca. (Google it!) Located just across the road from our albergue, La Hutte. A beautiful atmosphere and a wonderful high quality menu del dia. I went for dinner in 2015, and then in 2017 we passed through the village at lunch time. Unfortunately this restaurant was not open for lunch...I was very disappointed. :(

I walked the camino on the five-meal-a-day plan, and still lost weight. But this meal defeated me.

We had the same issue in a restaurant called La Amarilla in Burgos, somewhere along Calle San Lorenço (it was to the right of the cathedral). I think the Menu del dia costed 12-15 euros, comprised of three enormous courses, coffee and a BOTTLE of wine. Not a glass. And bread. And lovely people talking to us about the camino.

They also recommended tapas at A Favorita, in Burgos. We had dinner over there at night, and it was an amazing experience as there was a soccer game on, and everytime the owner's team scored, he would offer a free round of tapas to everyone in the bar. And half-price wine.

Lord, what a day.

est spaghetti sauce in the whole world in the whole history of mankind: Restaurante las Murallas, Astorga.

Oh, we missed that one. Now I will have to organize another camino to fix it! :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
you´re right, Sabine. The bus stop in Astorga has a great Menu upstairs. The one at Leon is pretty good, too! La Morena in Ledigos is good, but be careful ordering drinks at the bar there... the price paid by pilgrims is significantly higher than price paid by locals, and I cannot stomach that.

Vegetarian food at the Alberge Laganares in San Nicolas Real Camino is quite good. For a wonderful homemade communal dinner, you can´t beat Albergue Villares del Orbigo -- Cristina is a great host and a great cook! For a lash-out delicious meal, go to La Curiosa in Mansilla de las Mulas, (Meditteranean fusion with local ingredients) or Koi, in downtown Leon, for Japanese -- they have a Bento lunch that´s tip-top.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi
Starting another CF Orisson August 21. My favourite meals on the Camino are the big social communal diners in an alburgue or a popular pilgrim menu spot, or a tapas night orgy. However I do like a break from the pilgrim menu and to treat myself to a nice lunch or dinner every now and then.

Cheers Paul
There’s a great menu del dia around 16 € at the restaurant in Hostal Albany in Leon. And I had a truly splendid meal somewhere in Cacabelos in 2014...really wish I could recall where!
For a blow-out treat, I did a DIY tapas crawl in Burgos once, and another in Logrono...
Good luck, and buen Camino!

Hi

Cheers Paul
Yesterday I was in Arévalo (cdlevante). Restaurant El Toston de Oro is a great place for lamb

Hi

Cheers Paul
Try the hostal facing the church in Carrion de los Condos. When they say pork, they mean a pork joint on the bone and their sangria is amazing. Down the street from albergue Otero in O Pedrouzo, there is a restaurant whose idea of menu del peregrino is a steak served on a hot stone still spitting and sizzling. Wish I had not mentioned it now, my mouth is watering :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Plenty of foodies I see have been on Camino! It is reassuring to know that when the time comes, I and my chef husband will not be disappointed. Buen Camino!

Plenty of foodies I see have been on Camino! It is reassuring to know that when the time comes, I and my chef husband will not be disappointed. Buen Camino!
If you will ever walk the Camino Sanabres there's not no miss the restaurant Me Gusta Comer in Rionegro del Puente. Four course 5 star menu for 10€ (drinks included). And the chef is also an awarded artist (painter). Quite an honour to talk to him!
And albergue is another treat!!! Just across the street...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you will ever walk the Camino Sanabres there's not no miss the restaurant Me Gusta Comer in Rionegro del Puente. Four course 5 star menu for 10€ (drinks included). And the chef is also an awarded artist (painter). Quite an honour to talk to him!
And albergue is another treat!!! Just across the street...
Yes I agree. Instagram worthy starter. Digestives with dessert. So good for lunch I brought everyone in the albergue for dinner and he organised for me to get different dishes so I didn't repeat the lunch. I don't know how they can do it for the price.

you´re right, Sabine. The bus stop in Astorga has a great Menu upstairs. The one at Leon is pretty good, too! La Morena in Ledigos is good, but be careful ordering drinks at the bar there... the price paid by pilgrims is significantly higher than price paid by locals, and I cannot stomach that.

Vegetarian food at the Alberge Laganares in San Nicolas Real Camino is quite good. For a wonderful homemade communal dinner, you can´t beat Albergue Villares del Orbigo -- Cristina is a great host and a great cook! For a lash-out delicious meal, go to La Curiosa in Mansilla de las Mulas, (Meditteranean fusion with local ingredients) or Koi, in downtown Leon, for Japanese -- they have a Bento lunch that´s tip-top.
I agree Albergue Villares del Orbigo Cristina is an amazing cook, we had a fabulous meal and a delicious egg breakfast :)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back