• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best up to date guide book for Via de la Plata?

Pilgy

Time of past OR future Camino
C. Francés April 06, C. Fisterre May 06, C. Frances Oct 17, C. Portuguese Oct 18, C. Inglese Nov 18
Hello pilgrims. Many guidebooks listed seem older. Any recommendations for an up to date guide for the VDLP. Prefer a concise combination of info, history, routing and accommodation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello pilgrims. Many guidebooks listed seem older. Any recommendations for an up to date guide for the VDLP. Prefer a concise combination of info, history, routing and accommodation.
It may depend on when you're planning to walk. After many years of delays, the new Cicerone guide to the VdlP by Alison Raju is due to be published in November this year...so far. I'm not holding my breath though; I've been waiting for this guidebook since at least 2016! Fortunately for me, circumstances mean my plans to walk the entire VdlP combined with the Mozarabe aren't slotted in until 2022...perhaps they'll have got it together by then. 😄
If your plans are for 2020, the Gerald Kelly book (regularly updated) is probably your best bet but may not tick all your boxes.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
It may depend on when you're planning to walk. After many years of delays, the new Cicerone guide to the VdlP by Alison Raju is due to be published in November this year...so far. I'm not holding my breath though; I've been waiting for this guidebook since at least 2016! Fortunately for me, circumstances mean my plans to walk the entire VdlP combined with the Mozarabe aren't slotted in until 2022...perhaps they'll have got it together by then. 😄
If you're plans are for 2020, the Gerald Kelly book (regularly updated) is probably your best bet but may not tick all your boxes.
👣 🌏
Thanks Kazrobbo. Interesting you just mentioned the Cicerone guide as I have one for Camino Norte and am disappointed by lack of info beyond route and accommodation. Maybe a one off, but..... VDLP plans would be for fall this year so will look into the Gerald Kelly 2020 version.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Kazrobbo. Interesting you just mentioned the Cicerone guide as I have one for Camino Norte and am disappointed by lack of info beyond route and accommodation. Maybe a one off, but..... VDLP plans would be for fall this year so will look into the Gerald Kelly 2020 version.
I have quite a few Cicerone guides & find my relationship with them varies depending on the author... 🤔 🤭
They do tend to stick with trail specific info knowing you can pad it out through other sources. I assumed this was due to weight & page space considerations but that is becoming less of an issue with the move to electronic versions.
I personally still prefer a paper book in my hand...& we all remember that first time we crossed the line of cutting out unnecessary pages to save weight. 😮 😁
Happy planning!
👣 🌏

I have quite a few Cicerone guides & find my relationship with them varies depending on the author... 🤔 🤭
They do tend to stick with trail specific info knowing you can pad it out through other sources. I assumed this was due to weight & page space considerations but that is becoming less of an issue with the move to electronic versions.
I personally still prefer a paper book in my hand...& we all remember that first time we crossed the line of cutting out unnecessary pages to save weight. 😮 😁
Happy planning!
👣 🌏
Oh that "book in the hand" feeling is so wonderful. I am the owner of many "well-scissored" guide books!

You've likely already looked over the CSJ guidebook offerings. I have Kelly's book.

I wonder how frequent any significant changes to the route itself are made? My thought is that the guidebook may be sufficient for route information, even if it is two or three years old. Then use something like Godesalco.com for getting the most recent information on the resources for VDlP infrastructure support. . pilgrim lodging, food, shopping, etc

I use the Kelly book and have recently bought the 2020 paper version. It is not a high-gloss beautifully laid-out book with perfect information, but I haven't found a better one. I enjoy having the paper copy for browsing and reference before and after the trip, as well as for using on the way. I also take the KML tracks on my phone and have access to data if I want additional historical or local information, so I have more information than I need!

I've the Kelly book for my planning and have just ordered the Wise Pilgrim one from this site. Haven't seen it yet but liked the WP ones for the CF and CP.

Hola, with all due respect to @kazrobbo from my personal, frustrating experience I would not believe anything from Cicerone concerning a 2020 edition of her VDLP Guidebook by Ms Raju as factual until the book is on sale. For nearly 4 years, between 2014 and 2018 they promised me faithfully that the book would be available.

So based on the above I would be using either the Wise Pilgrim book on even better the Gerald Kelly. (If you buy the Kelly book you get access to his web site where there are updates an corrections from recent walkers). Although there are quite a few "first person" descriptions of their adventures on this long camino.
As for timing your walk - I think April (about a week after the Easter celebrations finish in Seville) through to end of May are better starting dates, otherwise September/October. But be prepared for many weather variations - very hot or cold with rain and some long days (30 + km). Buen Camino,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If your plans are for 2020, the Gerald Kelly book (regularly updated) is probably your best bet but may not tick all your boxes.
👣 🌏

Bin waiting for Alison's book since you know when! Believe the last edition is now a collector's piece.! It's become a standing joke with my local bookshop.

We live in hope, :)

The malingerer.

Hola, with all due respect to @kazrobbo from my personal, frustrating experience I would not believe anything from Cicerone concerning a 2020 edition of her VDLP Guidebook by Ms Raju as factual until the book is on sale. For nearly 4 years, between 2014 and 2018 they promised me faithfully that the book would be available.
No respect needed (but I appreciate the intention) @Saint Mike II...as I couldn't agree with you more! The unreliability of a publication date for this particular guide is frustrating; that's why I used terms such as 'so far', 'I'm not holding my breath' & 'hope they'll get it together'!
I've been waiting since 2016 which is bad enough, but 2014 is well past hair-pulling-out stage. 😫
On seeking clarification from Cicerone (over several years... 😄), I was told Alison had a leg injury causing a delay & hospitalisation caused another...but there must be other factors for such a lengthy push back.
Perhaps we'll have our 'Hallelujah' moment one day...preferably before I need a walking frame 🤭 ...but like you, I'll believe it when I actually see it!
👣 🌏

Last edited:
I used the Wise Pilgrim app on my phone, and it is updated for 2020. I see from the Camino forum shop that the 2020 edition of the Gerald Kelly guide will be out soon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've the Kelly book for my planning and have just ordered the Wise Pilgrim one from this site. Haven't seen it yet but liked the WP ones for the CF and CP.
Thanks Calisteve!

So based on the above I would be using either the Wise Pilgrim book on even better the Gerald Kelly. (If you buy the Kelly book you get access to his web site where there are updates an corrections from recent walkers). Although there are quite a few "first person" descriptions of their adventures on this long camino.
As for timing your walk - I think April (about a week after the Easter celebrations finish in Seville) through to end of May are better starting dates, otherwise September/October. But be prepared for many weather variations - very hot or cold with rain and some long days (30 + km). Buen Camino,
Thanks for these suggestions!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bin waiting for Alison's book since you know when! Believe the last edition is now a collector's piece.! It's become a standing joke with my local bookshop.

We live in hope, :)

The malingerer.

You might be right about the "collectors piece". I think the last edition was published in 2005 with some sort of reprint/update around 2009. When it was first out the 2005 edition was as highly valued as Brierley's Guide of the Frances.
I am sorry to hear about Alison's medical issues (I must have missed this news). It would be good to see a new guide to the Via De La Plata as this long Camino has, I feel, been sadly neglected until the arrival of Kelly's guide and now the Wise one. Cheers

Hello Pilgy
My husband and I completed the Via de La Plata and Camino Sanabres three months ago in November 2019.
While most people used Apps,
we were the rare dinosaurs with guide books. We used Kelly 2018 and Wise Pilgrim 2019 (which were both very light and complemented each other). We were very glad we had both. We also regularly referred to S Yates’ excellent notes on this forum. If you’re doing the Via de la Plata, be aware that there are very long distances with no food, water, shelter or towns - up to 29kms on one day. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
RNC

👣 🌏
I used her VDLP guide in 2006..it was terrible,many mistakes and out date even though it was a few years old. Her Via Francigena has attracted similar negative reviews. I ve used a French book and check for updates each time..but it's well sign posted anyway and I'm mainly interested in accommodation

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am sorry to hear about Alison's medical issues (I must have missed this news). It would be good to see a new guide to the Via De La Plata as this long Camino has, I feel, been sadly neglected until the arrival of Kelly's guide and now the Wise one. Cheers
I didn't mean to cause concern; both medical situations were cited separately over a period of 4-5 years...the time I've been seeking info about publication of the long awaited new guide! I have not made any recent enquiries. 🙂
👣 🌏

Last edited:
I used her VDLP guide in 2006..it was terrible,many mistakes and out date even though it was a few years old. Her Via Francigena has attracted similar negative reviews. I ve used a French book and check for updates each time..but it's well sign posted anyway and I'm mainly interested in accommodation
I used Pt1 & Pt2 of her Via Francigena guides last year...& yes, at times I could be heard exclaiming my dismay out loud (especially the mixing up of L & R...). However as an eternal optimist, I hope for better things & will still buy her VdlP guide when/if it eventually appears! 😁
👣 🌏

Last edited:
I didn't mean to cause concern; both medical situations were cited separately over a period of 4-5 years...the time I've been seeking info about publication of the long awaited new guide!
👣 🌏

Not a problem and no real concern, it was just something I had not seen on the Forum where we are usually made aware of "public health" pronouncements about our Camino Family. Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had the Cicerone for the Norte and didn’t like it either.

I would recommend this one:

Up to date and straight to the point with all necessary information, but without fluff. Oh, and I like the maps also ;-)

BC SY

I am walking the VDLP at the moment and have just arrived in Merida. Using the Gerald Kelly 2020 which is excellent supported by the Wise Pilgrim app on my phone. Also suggest you down load maps.me and use the kml/gps track info you can get from Gerald to ensure you do not get lost. Markings so far not bad but the map provides reassurance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Seems unlikely. Alison Raju has been seriously ill for many months.

Hi,
I suppose you ca'nt read Dutch... There is a wonderfull Dutch guide for the Via de la Plata, printed 2 times a year, so always up to date!
View: www.pelgrimsgidsen.nl, have a good trip, buen Camino, Hans
I wish I did though, Hansl!!! Thanks anyway!

I am walking the VDLP at the moment and have just arrived in Merida. Using the Gerald Kelly 2020 which is excellent supported by the Wise Pilgrim app on my phone. Also suggest you down load maps.me and use the kml/gps track info you can get from Gerald to ensure you do not get lost. Markings so far not bad but the map provides reassurance.
Thanks Simon. Have ordered The GK book and will pull up Wise Pilgrim too. Enjoy the rest of your walk!

Up to date and straight to the point with all necessary information, but without fluff. Oh, and I like the maps also ;-)

BC SY
Thanks Sybil. I'll add this to my list!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am using Gerald Kellys Book. I purchased his 2019 edition and joined his VDLP facebook page which also has some very helpful info. Gerald was very approachable and sent me a link to update my 2019 edition to the 2020 edition. I hope to start walking on the 30th March.

I am using Gerald Kellys Book. I purchased his 2019 edition and joined his VDLP facebook page which also has some very helpful info. Gerald was very approachable and sent me a link to update my 2019 edition to the 2020 edition. I hope to start walking on the 30th March.

Embarrassed to say this but -- how do I find his VDLP Facebook page so I can update my 2019 edition? Leaving April 1 to pick up our route again from Rio Negro.

BC SY
Just received mine - really well presented and a great size to carry with you. Similar layout to the other WP guides. Colour maps, cross referenced to the relevant pages with the commentary and more detailed colour maps. The only strange thing - it's 40% shorter than the CF one, whilst covering a greater distance. Suppose that says something about the distances between places on the VDLP and the comparative infrastructure. I'll be doing my planning using this and G Kelly's one. Walking the CF I carried GK's one with me on both occasions and found it excellent, but reckon I'll probably carry the WP guide this time.

... The only strange thing - it's 40% shorter than the CF one, whilst covering a greater distance. Suppose that says something about the distances between places on the VDLP and the comparative infrastructure. ...

That is exactly the reason ;-)
BC SY

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back