• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way back to UK

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2018 Camino Frances and March Coastal Portugues
Flying back to the UK last time (2019) was a nightmare. Santiago was locked in by fog. Take-off at 9 was delayed until 10.30. Missed connecting flight to Heathrow. Stood in a queue for 2 hours to reschedule. No one wanting to reschedule was being seen. A group including us protested. Security was called. Eventually management turned up and processed the 200 or so people who’d been standing around waiting to reschedule. More waiting. Eventually we got into Heathrow at about 10pm.
All the flights I see from Santiago to London have only a maximum of an hour and a half between them at Madrid. Don’t want the same experience again. Suggestions please. Two separate bookings or another way altogether?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Flying back to the UK last time (2019) was a nightmare. Santiago was locked in by fog. Take-off at 9 was delayed until 10.30. Missed connecting flight to Heathrow. Stood in a queue for 2 hours to reschedule. No one wanting to reschedule was being seen. A group including us protested. Security was called. Eventually management turned up and processed the 200 or so people who’d been standing around waiting to reschedule. More waiting. Eventually we got into Heathrow at about 10pm.
All the flights I see from Santiago to London have only a maximum of an hour and a half between them at Madrid. Don’t want the same experience again. Suggestions please. Two separate bookings or another way altogether?
That does sound nightmarish.
I think some of the cheap airlines fly from SCQ to various places around London, if that's where you are headed, but I like Bradypus' idea of flying out of A Coruña. I will need to remember that one for the next time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Stood in a queue for 2 hours to reschedule.

I don't know if this was an option in 2019, but last month when my flight was cancelled Easyjet's representatives told us to use the app. It took 2 minutes to reschedule or I could have cancelled for a refund if I decided to fly a different route.

I also had the chance to claim compensation using the app, and the compensation was in my account before I even got back. So the message at least from Easyjet is have the app loaded on your phone.

As regards flight cancellations / delays, I don't think we are back to "normal" yet looking at the daily cancellations at the local airport so best check the apps before you fly.

PS. There's an app for pub crawls too. But not sure how useable it would be after the first six.

Last edited:
I’m flying direct from SdC to Gatwick with EasyJet in June. I think they only fly on certain days of the week though rather than every day.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Train, bus, ferry. Santander or Bilbao. The really nice way is a bit slow, but worth it, the narrow gauge train from the coast to Hendaye (two days) then French train to Paris and Eurostar or a ferry from Caen or Calais. Or walk home if you have time.

I flew to Toulouse where I stayed for the night then by train to St Jean the next morning, changing at Bayonne (I think that there's a bus for the last section at the moment for some reason). It was a pleasant journey that went through Lourdes and Pau. I returned by bus from Santiago to Toulouse. Another night there and flew back to London the next morning. The only nuisance was that the bus arrived in Toulouse very early in the morning, too early to book into my hotel so I left my backpack at the hotel and wandered around a bit, had breakfast and a few coffees. Otherwise I enjoyed both journeys.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Take the slow train (aren’t they all?) to Pamplona, stay overnight, (or two), train to Irun/Hendaye, train to Bordeaux , then train up through France, stopping off if anywhere looks appealing, then Eurostar.
A lovely way to rejoin the rest of ’civilisation’ after your Camino … 😉

… or the pub crawl …

We're flying from Santiago to Gatwick. Don't know if that would help you? Never tried that route before so don't know how it will be.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back