• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way from Madrid to SJPDP

Marla in CA

Time of past OR future Camino
My name is Marla and I am from California. I will be flying to Madrid on Sept. 15, 2019, arriving Sept. 16th in late afternoon. I would like to know the best way to get to SJPDP. THank you for any info!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Maria:

To get to SJPDP from Madrid, you need to go first to Pamplona, from which you then take a bus to SJPDP.

From the Madrid airport (or from central Madrid, if you’re staying over a night), you can get a bus directly to Pamplona. You will find the schedule on the Alsa bus website at https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home.

Alternatively, you can get a train from Madrid to Pamplona. With respect to the train, there’s no service directly from the airport, so you need to get into central Madrid to pick it up. You can find the train schedule on the website of Renfe, which is the Spanish national railroad. http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

The train ride is 2 hours faster, but the bus has its own advantages: you can go to Pamplona directly from the airport, plus once you get to Pamplona, you’re already at the bus station where you get the bus to SJPDP. The train station in Pamplona, by contrast, is several miles away, so you then need to get from the train station to the bus station by local bus or taxi.

Once you get to Pamplona, you then pick up the Alsa bus to SJPDP. You’ll find the scedule at the Alsa website I gave you above. Make sure you input SJPDP as Saint Jean Pied de Port, rather than St. Jean Pied de Port.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Welcome Marla;
You will probably get many opinions, here is mine. Using this website, it shows a bus from Madrid to Biarritz France for cheap. After arriving, you must get to nearby Bayonne where the train station is. (done by bus, shared taxi) Probably best to call it a day at that point. The next morning, take the train to St Jean PDP.

Hi Maria:

To get to SJPDP from Madrid, you need to go first to Pamplona, from which you then take a bus to SJPDP.

From the Madrid airport (or from central Madrid, if you’re staying over a night), you can get a bus directly to Pamplona. You will find the schedule on the Alsa bus website at https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home.

Alternatively, you can get a train from Madrid to Pamplona. With respect to the train, there’s no service directly from the airport, so you need to get into central Madrid to pick it up. You can find the train schedule on the website of Renfe, which is the Spanish national railroad. http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

The train ride is 2 hours faster, but the bus has its own advantages: you can go to Pamplona directly from the airport, plus once you get to Pamplona, you’re already at the bus station where you get the bus to SJPDP. The train station in Pamplona, by contrast, is several miles away, so you then need to get from the train station to the bus station by local bus or taxi.

Once you get to Pamplona, you then pick up the Alsa bus to SJPDP. You’ll find the scedule at the Alsa website I gave you above. Make sure you input SJPDP as Saint Jean Pied de Port, rather than St. Jean Pied de Port.
Thank you so much!

Welcome Marla;
You will probably get many opinions, here is mine. Using this website, it shows a bus from Madrid to Biarritz France for cheap. After arriving, you must get to nearby Bayonne where the train station is. (done by bus, shared taxi) Probably best to call it a day at that point. The next morning, take the train to St Jean PDP.
Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Marla,

In April, we flew from LAX to Madrd and spent the night near Atocha train station. The following morning we took a train to Pamplona, then took a taxi to SJPDP. We bought our train tickets before our flight and had reserved the taxi. No problems.

There were 6 if us, which made the 107 euro cost for the taxi worthwhile.

My name is Marla and I am from California. I will be flying to Madrid on Sept. 15, 2019, arriving Sept. 16th in late afternoon. I would like to know the best way to get to SJPDP. THank you for any info!
[/QUOTEI
I just checked the Iberia website. You can fly from Madrid to Pamplona for for $57US arriving at 9:10AM giving you lots of time to catch one of the afternoon buses to SJPP. You can book both tickets on line of course. Also give you time to walk around and check out Pamplona.

Marla,

In April, we flew from LAX to Madrd and spent the night near Atocha train station. The following morning we took a train to Pamplona, then took a taxi to SJPDP. We bought our train tickets before our flight and had reserved the taxi. No problems.

Thank you so much for this info!! Helps tremendously

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Hi Marla,

In 2017 I flew from CA to Madrid, then on to Pamplona. I took a taxi from Pamplona Airport, spent the night at an albergue that I had reserved before leaving home, then took the bus to SJPDP the next morning. I booked the flight to Pamplona at the same time I booked to Madrid. Very easy to do. Since then I have found the other options that you will note in this thread. I plan on going back in 2020 and may look into the bus from Madrid, although the plane ride was just fine.

Buen Camino!!

Hi Marla,

In 2017 I flew from CA to Madrid, then on to Pamplona. I took a taxi from Pamplona Airport, spent the night at an albergue that I had reserved before leaving home, then took the bus to SJPDP the next morning. I booked the flight to Pamplona at the same time I booked to Madrid. Very easy to do. Since then I have found the other options that you will note in this thread. I plan on going back in 2020 and may look into the bus from Madrid, although the plane ride was just fine.

Buen Camino!!
Thank you so much. I am so happy that I found this forum last night, 6 weeks in advance of my trip. I appreciate everyone's response. Feeling so much more secure now that I know what to do.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Consider flying from Madrid to EAS (San Sebastian) in the PM of September 16. You can then bus/train fairly cheaply to St. Jean, and get there much earlier. Plane fares are currently about $60, and bus/train to St. Jean would be about $20. Otherwise, stay in Madrid on the 16th (there are some good hostels), take the train to Pamplona, then bus or taxi (if you can find 2-3 other pilgrims) to St. Jean.

Marla,

What taxi service did you use?

This taxi company caters to pilgrims and will attempt to find others to share the cost if you book ahead.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This taxi company caters to pilgrims and will attempt to find others to share the cost if you book ahead.

Thank you!! 2 questions:
do I have to book in advance and will they really help me find others to share in the cost?
2) is the taxi also a bumpy/hard on the stomach ride? I keep reading posts from people who said they took the Alsa bus from pamplona to Sjpdp and threw up!!

Thank you!! 2 questions:
do I have to book in advance and will they really help me find others to share in the cost?
2) is the taxi also a bumpy/hard on the stomach ride? I keep reading posts from people who said they took the Alsa bus from pamplona to Sjpdp and threw up!!
You only have to book on advance if you want them to find others to share with you. Read the info on their site. Otherwise you can just walk out of the train station and take any taxi. The ride isn't really bumpy in the taxi, but there are a lot of twists and turns.

Thank you, I will go to their website. I will not be at the train station. I am staying overnight in Pamplona after I fly there from Madrid. I will book in advance to see if they can find others to go too. Thanks for the info.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

We used

Reserved via email, driver was waiting for us when we arrived at the Pamplona train station. We had been given the driver's phone number just in case. Our 4 suitcases were bigger than he expected, as it was a smaller passenger van. He used his Tetris skills and got them a loaded up.

Professional driver, well worth the money. Dropped us off at the SJPdP tourist information office. About 5 minutes later, someone in our party realized they left something in the taxi.

I called the driver and with my caveman Spanish, explained the situation. He drove back and the item was recovered! He was really nice and refused our offer of a tip.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will go to their website. I will not be at the train station. I am staying overnight in Pamplona after I fly there from Madrid. I will book in advance to see if they can find others to go too. Thanks for the info.

In that case it would be a lot cheaper to take the bus. If you have car sickness problems take some motion sickness meds and sit up front.

I haven't taken the bus, so I don't know how bad it is.

In that case it would be a lot cheaper to take the bus. If you have car sickness problems take some motion sickness meds and sit up front.

I haven't taken the bus, so I don't know how bad it is.
Thank you for the tip. I will get some motion sickness meds before the trip.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Marla,

I am trying to book a taxi ahead of time through taxi Pamplona. Com. It will not allow me to book a taxi for August 22nd next week. Do you have any suggestions or advice? I tried selecting that I would share a ride, but the only dates that came up where the 23rd. How would I book the 22nd in advance and then maybe someone else would want a book with me? I'm confused.

You only have to book on advance if you want them to find others to share with you. Read the info on their site. Otherwise you can just walk out of the train station and take any taxi. The ride isn't really bumpy in the taxi, but there are a lot of twists and turns.
I tried to book in advance today for August 22nd. It will not allow me to book that date. Any advice?

I'm not sure how you're trying to book it... I just emailed them, and everything was set up through email.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My favorite way continues to be to fly from California to Madrid, then take the bus to Pamplona (right outside the airport). I spend 2-3 days in Pamplona, resting from the trip, adjusting my body to the time, and seeing the city. Then I hop a bus to SJPP. When the rest of the pilgrims are stopping in Pamplona on the way back through, I keep walking, getting ahead of the bed race and stopping "between stages" to stay ahead of them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My favorite way continues to be to fly from California to Madrid, then take the bus to Pamplona (right outside the airport). I spend 2-3 days in Pamplona, resting from the trip, adjusting my body to the time, and seeing the city. Then I hop a bus to SJPP. When the rest of the pilgrims are stopping in Pamplona on the way back through, I keep walking, getting ahead of the bed race and stopping "between stages" to stay ahead of them.
THank you. I booked my reservations 2 weeks ago after people in this forum told me what to do. I will be flying into Madrid and then flying out a few hours later on Iberia airlines to Pamplona. I booked a hotel in Pamplona where I hope to recuperate from the journey and jet lag. Then the next morning or next afternoon, I will either take a taxi or bus to SJPDP. I haven't booked it yet, because I am dragging my feet since I have read so many posts about people getting motion sickness from the bumpy ride to Saint Jean.

Mrs. Beeks gets sick on buses, so taxi was perfect. She had to sit up front next to the driver... the road does get curvy in parts... I can't imagine the bus ride.

I think even if I can't find someone to share the cost of the cab ride, it will be worth it for me to pay for a taxi so I can sit up front. Mrs. Beeks and I have weak stomachs in common....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
THank you. I booked my reservations 2 weeks ago after people in this forum told me what to do. I will be flying into Madrid and then flying out a few hours later on Iberia airlines to Pamplona. I booked a hotel in Pamplona where I hope to recuperate from the journey and jet lag. Then the next morning or next afternoon, I will either take a taxi or bus to SJPDP. I haven't booked it yet, because I am dragging my feet since I have read so many posts about people getting motion sickness from the bumpy ride to Saint Jean.

Good plan! Spend a few days enjoying Pamplona. LOTS to see there, including a wonderful museum (closed Mondays as are all Spanish museums), cool little shops and bars, and wonderful park walks with peacocks and other animals. You can buy your ticket to SJPP at the bus station there. Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.