• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way from San Sebastian airport (EAS) to SJPDP?

Godzgirlwalking

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2018)
Flying into San Sebastian, Spain on 2 Sept. around 6 PM to start the CF on 3 Sept. Can anyone please suggest the most efficient/cost effective way to go the 60 mi/1.5 hrs. from there to St. Jean same day? Taxi? Uber? Bus?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Probably a train to Bayonne and another train to SJPP. It would take around 3 hours and cost less than 70 euro, depending on the times. But not sure you can do the Bayonne/SJPP at that time, maybe an overnight near the airport could be good.

Check https://www.rome2rio.com/ for some ideas.

Also, San Sebastian Airport is actually in Irun, the place where the Camino del Norte 'traditionally' starts. Is this your first camino? Wouldn´t you like to start in the Norte (people say it is gorgeous) and change to Camino Frances later?

That will be tight. Best thing would probably be to take a taxi to Hendaye train station from the airport. (It's only a few miles, but public transportation would be too complicated since you're going from Spain to France, and would take too long). As stated by Anamya, then take the train from Hendaye to Bayonne, and switch at Bayonne for the train to St. Jean. But check out the schedules on rome2rio to see if this is doable at all within your time frame. Last train from Bayonne to St. Jean is around 9 PM, and both of the train legs are around an hour. If this is not doable, and you're determined to start walking on the 3rd, your best fallback option would probably be to get to Bayonne on the evening of the 2nd, stay overnight near the train station, then get the first train to St. Jean in the morning and start walking upon arrival. (Note that the Irun train station is slightly closer to the San Sebastian airport than is the Hendaye train station, but if you pick up the train in Irun, you're just going to have to switch to another train in Hendaye, so better to just taxi through to Hendaye).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That will be tight. Best thing would probably be to take a taxi to Hendaye train station from the airport. (It's only a few miles, but public transportation would be too complicated since you're going from Spain to France, and would take too long). As stated by Anamya, then take the train from Hendaye to Bayonne, and switch at Bayonne for the train to St. Jean. But check out the schedules on rome2rio to see if this is doable at all within your time frame. Last train from Bayonne to St. Jean is around 9 PM, and both of the train legs are around an hour. If this is not doable, and you're determined to start walking on the 3rd, your best fallback option would probably be to get to Bayonne on the evening of the 2nd, stay overnight near the train station, then get the first train to St. Jean in the morning and start walking upon arrival. (Note that the Irun train station is slightly closer to the San Sebastian airport than is the Hendaye train station, but if you pick up the train in Irun, you're just going to have to switch to another train in Hendaye, so better to just taxi through to Hendaye).
Hi Andy, thanks for this suggestion. I'm checking out all configurations to get to SJPDP using Rome2Rio and BlaBlaCar (website for Spain is only in Spanish... Using Google Translate to decipher). I'm a bit apprehensive of booking a train ride though; aren't they on strike now —or— is that all over?

In 2016 we took a bus from San Sebastián to Bayonne, then a train from Bayonne to SJPP. It took us right to the train station. You might be able to get the bus from the airport in San Sebastián.

In 2016 we took a bus from San Sebastián to Bayonne, then a train from Bayonne to SJPP. It took us right to the train station. You might be able to get the bus from the airport in San Sebastián.
Hello Thomas! I've just spent the last few hours working all the angles to go from San Sebastián airport to Bayonne, then on to SJPdP. So far the best bet seems to be the 816 bus out of Hendaye bus station in San Sebastián. I downloaded the bus schedule, but can't figure out how to turn it into English. I know a little French and used Google Translate to slug my way through it, but maybe you can help with a few last questions. I arrive San Sebastián airport 17:50 on Sunday (2 Sept.), then taxi to Hendaye bus station. According to the purple column showing the Sat/Sun schedule (attached), if I'm understanding this correctly, I could catch any one of 4 busses to Bayonne at 18:35 - 18:40 arriving Bayonne about an hour later. Is this correct? Another question is what the 2nd column listing "Ville, Gare SNCF, Rue des Chénes, & C.Cial Bidassoa" means. Are these different "gates" at the bus station maybe? Then I'll probably have to overnight in Bayonne and deal with getting to SJPdP the next morning to start on The WAY. Whew! These logistics are the hardest and most stressful part of this endeavor. I feel I'm ready start walking, but getting there is a mind bender! 816 Hendaye>Bayonne.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi GGW, I’m no expert being we spent the day in San Sebastián and caught the bus the next day. (We actually walked to the bus station the day before and checked out the schedule). Then we spent the night in SJPP. That being said, it looks like you’re on the right track with the bus schedule. I know your plan might be to spend the night in Bayonne and start walking the next day. My only thought on this is not to get too late of a start in the morning. It’s a long walk, and less you’re staying in Orison. If you plan on walking all the way to Roncesvalles an early start is a must. Best of luck on your Camino. We are starting the Portuguese Caminho on the 3rd of September from Porto. Let me know how it goes if you get a chance, Buen Camino!

Hello Thomas! I've just spent the last few hours working all the angles to go from San Sebastián airport to Bayonne, then on to SJPdP. So far the best bet seems to be the 816 bus out of Hendaye bus station in San Sebastián. I downloaded the bus schedule, but can't figure out how to turn it into English. I know a little French and used Google Translate to slug my way through it, but maybe you can help with a few last questions. I arrive San Sebastián airport 17:50 on Sunday (2 Sept.), then taxi to Hendaye bus station. According to the purple column showing the Sat/Sun schedule (attached), if I'm understanding this correctly, I could catch any one of 4 busses to Bayonne at 18:35 - 18:40 arriving Bayonne about an hour later. Is this correct? Another question is what the 2nd column listing "Ville, Gare SNCF, Rue des Chénes, & C.Cial Bidassoa" means. Are these different "gates" at the bus station maybe? Then I'll probably have to overnight in Bayonne and deal with getting to SJPdP the next morning to start on The WAY. Whew! These logistics are the hardest and most stressful part of this endeavor. I feel I'm ready start walking, but getting there is a mind bender! View attachment 45294
Hi!
You're right, you can catch a bus from Hendaye train station (Gare SNCF) at 18h38, assuming you can get out of the airport and into a taxi fairly quickly. Ask the driver for Estacion de Tren de Hendaya.
Getting into Bayonne, Place des Basques, at 19h55 gives ample time to walk over to Bayonne Train station and catch the 21h10 train arriving in SJPdP at 22h08.
https://www.rome2rio.com/fr/map/Bayonne-France/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Make a reservation in SJPdP mentionning your late arrival. They normaly wait for the last train in before closing at the pilgrim reception center.
Good luck and enjoy your camino.

Hi!
You're right, you can catch a bus from Hendaye train station (Gare SNCF) at 18h38, assuming you can get out of the airport and into a taxi fairly quickly. Ask the driver for Estacion de Tren de Hendaya.
Getting into Bayonne, Place des Basques, at 19h55 gives ample time to walk over to Bayonne Train station and catch the 21h10 train arriving in SJPdP at 22h08.
https://www.rome2rio.com/fr/map/Bayonne-France/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Make a reservation in SJPdP mentionning your late arrival. They normaly wait for the last train in before closing at the pilgrim reception center.
Good luck and enjoy your camino.

I didn't realize Hendaye bus station was in France! A short taxi ride from EAS airport. (Do I have to go through a time-consuming customs stop at the border?) If EVERYTHING goes as planned, I just might make it to St. Jean late 2 Sept. to start the climb 3 Sept.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Godzgirlwalking: Making the 6:38 PM bus from Hendaye to Bayonne will be tight if your plane lands at 5:50 at San Sebastian airport, especially if you have luggage to collect. And that’s the latest bus you can take on a Sunday night which arrives in Bayonne before the last train to St. Jean, which leaves Bayonne at 9:10 PM. But go for it if you can.

It seems, however, that the train strike is over, and assuming there is no strike, the trains remain your easier and less stressful solution. The 7:22 PM train from Hendaye will get you to Bayonne in plenty of time to take the 9:10 PM train to St. Jean. Taking the train from Hendaye also means you don’t have to switch from the bus station to the train station in Bayonne.

No worries about customs between Spain and France. Border controls have been abolished.

Just to be safe, however, google “train strike in France” a few days before you leave. The strikes are announced in advance, so if nothing has been announced, you’ll be ok.

Finally, in the event there is a strike, your money will be refunded, so that shouldn't be a worry.

Good luck. This won’t be the last adventure you have on the camino. I know it’s hard not to stress abouut these arrangements, but the worst thing that happens is you don’t make it to St. Jean that night, and you get a good night’s sleep instead after your long journey. Then you start out more refreshed a day later.

@Godzgirlwalking I will be making the same trip (San Sebastian to Saint Jean Pied de Port), only a few days before you. After much research, the most sensible way seems to be BlaBlaCar. What would take 4 - 5 hours by train or bus is but a mere 1.5 hours in the car, if one can secure the ride.

That's more time for me to spend in SJPP, getting my official Pilgrim Passport, handing off my luggage to a transfer company, and stocking up on snacks for the long trip to Roncesvalles the next day. And, hopefully, getting to Mass before dinner at my chosen albergue.

Plus, the experience of BlaBlaCar, unknown to so many of us Americans, will make an interesting subject to write about, post-Camino.

@Godzgirlwalking I will be making the same trip (San Sebastian to Saint Jean Pied de Port), only a few days before you. After much research, the most sensible way seems to be BlaBlaCar. What would take 4 - 5 hours by train or bus is but a mere 1.5 hours in the car, if one can secure the ride.

That's more time for me to spend in SJPP, getting my official Pilgrim Passport, handing off my luggage to a transfer company, and stocking up on snacks for the long trip to Roncesvalles the next day. And, hopefully, getting to Mass before dinner at my chosen albergue.

Plus, the experience of BlaBlaCar, unknown to so many of us Americans, will make an interesting subject to write about, post-Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

OOPS! Goofed that reply somehow...
Hi BL,
I did look into BlaBlaCar, but it didn't have a late trip (after I arrive EAS at 5:50PM) to SJ. For that I would have to overnight in San Sebastian, then take the earliest car the next day. That might just be one of my least stressful options.

@Godzgirlwalking I've read that one needs to post a reasonably complete profile on BlaBlaCar, in advance, in order to "attract" drivers so they know you are legit. Also, that one must post the "advertisement" within days of the requested transfer in order to see what real options come available. Apparently, many drivers make these decisions within 24 - 48 hours of departure. Don't hold me to any of this - I've yet to experience it firsthand. Still, I'm curious enough to sign up and give it a try.

BlaBlaCar has apps now, but they aren't anywhere near to functioning at the level of Uber, according to reviews. I'm all for fair and viable competition in the marketplace, so I'll see where all this leads me. :)

If it doesn't work, I have the train and the bus as back-ups and will still arrive in SJPP on the desired date.
As will you, I hope!

@Godzgirlwalking I've read that one needs to post a reasonably complete profile on BlaBlaCar, in advance, in order to "attract" drivers so they know you are legit. Also, that one must post the "advertisement" within days of the requested transfer in order to see what real options come available. Apparently, many drivers make these decisions within 24 - 48 hours of departure. Don't hold me to any of this - I've yet to experience it firsthand. Still, I'm curious enough to sign up and give it a try.

BlaBlaCar has apps now, but they aren't anywhere near to functioning at the level of Uber, according to reviews. I'm all for fair and viable competition in the marketplace, so I'll see where all this leads me. :)

If it doesn't work, I have the train and the bus as back-ups and will still arrive in SJPP on the desired date.
As will you, I hope!
But if not BlaBla, aren't Uber & Lyft services available virtually everywhere? Just FYI, I haven't had any offers yet, but I also "applied" to an outfit called Airport Transfers (https://www.findtransfers.com) which says "Not only do we want to help people find the best transfers at the best price, we also want to help taxis and small airport transfer companies to fill their vehicles by sending them more transfer requests than they might normally receive. FindTransfers.com has therefore been created to offer a collective platform for all of the local transfer companies out there who want to attract more direct bookings. Our aim is to make it as easy as possible for potential customers to find and book with the best local taxis and airport transfer operators." Maybe they'll come up with a reasonable price for a 90 minute 1-way ride.

€83,-
@Godzgirlwalking Yes, I believe Uber is available in parts of Spain. I read it had been banned for a while, but is now back in operation. Maybe, after all this exploration, it is simpler to just take a San Sebastian taxi to SJPP?

Hmm. I wonder if Ivar has considered adding a members-only calendar feature to this site, one that would let members list their arrival/departure dates and cities specifically to help people connect for shared rides? The odds are strong that someone is traveling from San Sebastian to SJPP on the same day as you (and me), but finding them in advance is the challenge. Having a community calendar, strictly limited to this purpose, could provide a real advantage to travelers.

Since I'm traveling from San Sebastian to SJPP a few days before you are, I'll post back here when I know which method of transportation I'm taking. Hopefully, the information will be of some use for your journey. :)

@Godzgirlwalking Yes, I believe Uber is available in parts of Spain. I read it had been banned for a while, but is now back in operation. Maybe, after all this exploration, it is simpler to just take a San Sebastian taxi to SJPP?

Hmm. I wonder if Ivar has considered adding a members-only calendar feature to this site, one that would let members list their arrival/departure dates and cities specifically to help people connect for shared rides? The odds are strong that someone is traveling from San Sebastian to SJPP on the same day as you (and me), but finding them in advance is the challenge. Having a community calendar, strictly limited to this purpose, could provide a real advantage to travelers.

Since I'm traveling from San Sebastian to SJPP a few days before you are, I'll post back here when I know which method of transportation I'm taking. Hopefully, the information will be of some use for your journey. :)
Thanks much, BL! Still no quotes yet for airport shuttle rides from https://www.findtransfers.com. Great idea for a ride-share calendar for this forum. Maybe Ivar will consider it.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back