• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get from Biarritz Airport to Sarria!

EveWood1994

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi. Myself and my boyfriend are planning on doing the French Camino in October. We are meeting his family in Sarria for the final stretch of it. They will be coming from Biarritz and we are struggling to find a way for them to get to sarria in a reasonable amount of time. Rome to Rio is suggesting 4/5 buses or trains to get there. Does anyone know of a route that requires less changes? They arrive in biarritz at 3pm on a Saturday and we hope to meet them in Sarria to start the Camino on the Monday so if anyone can help on the best way to split up the route. Buses and trains also appear to be less frequent on the Sunday. Is there any buses and run soley through the French Camino route?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rome2Rio is quite accurate on available options. I did also a train-bus combo but on separate days. Considering they want to take an almost 700 km trip from France to the western part of Spain, the timeframe is valid. The only shorter option is if the would arrive by airplane to Santiago de Compostela, and take a bus/train from there to Sarria which is about 3 hours.

Hi. Myself and my boyfriend are planning on doing the French Camino in October. We are meeting his family in Sarria for the final stretch of it. They will be coming from Biarritz and we are struggling to find a way for them to get to sarria in a reasonable amount of time. Rome to Rio is suggesting 4/5 buses or trains to get there. Does anyone know of a route that requires less changes? They arrive in biarritz at 3pm on a Saturday and we hope to meet them in Sarria to start the Camino on the Monday so if anyone can help on the best way to split up the route. Buses and trains also appear to be less frequent on the Sunday. Is there any buses and run soley through the French Camino route?
It doesn't change a thing but why would they come to Biarritz if they want to go to Sarria??? Why not Santiago or A Coruna or Vigo airport?

Anyway it can be a nice adventure if they have few days to come from A to B with intermediate stops and food and wine etc. even with all that train/bus changes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a direct morning train from Irun to Santiago that stops in Monforte de Lemos. From there you have several options to get to Sarria:

Gettign to Irun from Biarritz is a simple matter of commuter transport to Hendaye and walking across a bridge into Irun.

It is a wonderful journey on the train from Irun - long, yes, but very scenic.

We did that journey to pick up our Camino walk again in Sarria. But we caught the train from Bordeaux to Hendaye. Stopped overnight in Irun and caught the train (as mentioned) next day to arrive in Sarria that evening.

Remember if the relatives are over 60 they can buy a senior rail card 6€ when they arrive at Leon and benefit from much reduced train fares in Spain. Details elsewhere on this forum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you want them to take an inland route, search Rome2Rio Biarritz to Pamplona, then Pamplona to Sarria.

Thank you for all your help! The rome to rio options are coming in at about 170 plus. I could probably find cheap ryanair flights plus train for around that price. I found one other cheap option- a night bus from biarritz to Zamora with flixbus. This only costs 15 per person and is about 8hrs long. The only thing is the waiting period for train to get from Zamora to Sarria. The flixbus arrives in to zamora at 4am and the train to sarria leaves at 14:38. Does anyone know any alternative options to get from zamora to sarria? Is Zamorra part of the Portugese route, might there be buses for pilgrims passing along the way to get to Sarria? Thanks in advance!

There's plenty to do and see in Zamora ;)

BTW Zamora is on Via de la Plata but is also the starting point of VdlP Portugues.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back