• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get from Madrid to Leon?

nettersweet

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July (2013)
Hello, What would folks recommend as the best way to get from the U.S. to Leon? At the moment, I'm thinking of flying to Madrid, and then taking a subway to the train station, and training it to Leon. Let me know if you think this sounds like a good plan, and if so, what additional details would be important to have, i.e. how to get to the subway station from the airport, which subway to take, how long it should take to get to the train station, etc....

Also, any recommendations for a place to stay in Leon? I think after all that travel, I'd prefer a hotel for that first night just to get rested and organized before hitting the Camino. What might be a reasonably priced and clean and convenient place to stay? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year I took the metro from a Terminal 4 to Chamartin in Madrid and got a train up to Leon. It didn't take too long, maybe 4 hours tops.
I stayed in La Posada Regia, nice place but there many many cheap pensions it hotels to stay in.
Hope that helps
David.

Flew into Madrid last Friday from Australia. Caught the subway to Puerta de Sol where I stayed at Hotel Alhambra Suites. Caught a taxi to Charmartin station the following morning and took the train to Leon. Very easy to get around. Would recommend taking the train - I enjoyed it

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Leon I stayed at Hotel Q!H. It is next to the cathedral and all rooms have a view of the cathedral. They allowed me to check in at 1030 when I arrived off the train. Great location, lovely rooms

The Camino de Madrid joins the Camino Frances at Sahagun. Leon is the next major center.

I've not walked this route but all accounts suggest it is viable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hello nettersweet,

welcome to the forum and to europe. any idea when you will be coming to madrid. i am assuming you will be landing at terminal one t1. from t1 you will have to go to t4, this is where the metro and renfe stations are located. renfe is the spanish national railways. you can go into madrid either on the metro line or the cercanias (suburban train), there are on the same floor in t4. you can take the train or metro to atocha station for your train to leon.

i would recommend you stay in madrid overnight to get over the jetlag and take the train to leon the next day.

buen camino.

Thanks to everyone for their responses!!! What an incredible forum this is! I appreciate the detailed and helpful information as I plan for my trip and my camino (leaving in a month). Thanks again!

There are two major terminal buildings in Madrid Barajas airport .... one is T1T2T3 and the other is T4.

The metro leaves from both buildings. If you arrive at T1 then you walk to the far end of the building to catch it, perhaps a 15 minute walk. It runs every 5 minutes. The metro requires transfering two times.

There are two major train stations in Madrid. one is Chamartin, the other is Puerto Atocha. The metro goes to both. The train to Leon leaves from Chamartin. Allow about an hour for Metro.

If you decide to stay in Madrid the hotels are located near the Atocha station in the city center ... (I'd try near the SOL metro station) There is a 4 or 5 star hotel at Chamartin and nothing else.

Metro Map http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/ ... ingles.pdf

Renfe (Spains train system)
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Given the cost of Madrid hotels and as most transatlantic flights arrive in the morning, I would suggest boarding the train and heading straight for Leon. Train routes in Spain are usually much more scenic than the motorway-bound buses, but note that Alsa buses for Leon stop at Barajas airport 7 times a day, the first leaving at 1.45pm and arriving in Leon at 6.30pm, costing 25 euro. The very comfortable 1st-class bus leaves an hour later (I think at about 45 euro) and includes a box lunch, wine, and coffee.

Leon has quite a few less-expensive-than-Madrid places to stay, such as the Albany kitty-corner to the cathedral, the Hotel Paris as a reasonable 3-star down the pedestrian street, and the basic but clean and comfortable Hostales Guzman or San Martin. I would suggest it as a better spot for a recuperation-from-flight day or two than the pricier and much more hectic metropolitan Madrid--- but if Madrid is somewhere you want to see, and this is the only way it works for your timetable, then follow the other suggestions.

whariwharangi said:
There are two major terminal buildings in Madrid Barajas airport .... one is T1T2T3 and the other is T4.

The metro leaves from both buildings. If you arrive at T1 then you walk to the far end of the building to catch it, perhaps a 15 minute walk. It runs every 5 minutes. The metro requires transfering two times.

There are two major train stations in Madrid. one is Chamartin, the other is Puerto Atocha. The metro goes to both. The train to Leon leaves from Chamartin. Allow about an hour for Metro.

If you decide to stay in Madrid the hotels are located near the Atocha station in the city center ... (I'd try near the SOL metro station) There is a 4 or 5 star hotel at Chamartin and nothing else.

Metro Map http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/ ... ingles.pdf

Renfe (Spains train system)
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Thank you SO much! This is really helpful! Thanks for the links!!!

oursonpolaire said:
Given the cost of Madrid hotels and as most transatlantic flights arrive in the morning, I would suggest boarding the train and heading straight for Leon. Train routes in Spain are usually much more scenic than the motorway-bound buses, but note that Alsa buses for Leon stop at Barajas airport 7 times a day, the first leaving at 1.45pm and arriving in Leon at 6.30pm, costing 25 euro. The very comfortable 1st-class bus leaves an hour later (I think at about 45 euro) and includes a box lunch, wine, and coffee.

Leon has quite a few less-expensive-than-Madrid places to stay, such as the Albany kitty-corner to the cathedral, the Hotel Paris as a reasonable 3-star down the pedestrian street, and the basic but clean and comfortable Hostales Guzman or San Martin. I would suggest it as a better spot for a recuperation-from-flight day or two than the pricier and much more hectic metropolitan Madrid--- but if Madrid is somewhere you want to see, and this is the only way it works for your timetable, then follow the other suggestions.

This is really good advice! I am going to be booking my flight in the next day or two so I'll have a better sense of when I arrive in Madrid. I think I'd rather get to my final destination to rest and recuperate before starting the Camino (hectic metropolitan Madrid doesn't sound as appealing under these circumstances). Also, I like that it is a less costly option. Thanks for the lodging recommendations! It sounds like this is what I'll be doing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am also flying into Madrid and on to Leon this year. I want to take the train up to Leon. I find the Renfe site difficult to follow but it seems you can get a discounted ticket if you are sixty , can you find a timetable, order a ticket, get a discount, and pay for it online and in english?
Thanks.

We bought our tickets from Madrid to Leon on Raileurope.com. Very easy!!

longwalker said:
I am also flying into Madrid and on to Leon this year. I want to take the train up to Leon. I find the Renfe site difficult to follow but it seems you can get a discounted ticket if you are sixty , can you find a timetable, order a ticket, get a discount, and pay for it online and in english?
Thanks.
You can get a "Gold Card", for 5.15 euros if aged over 60 at any rail agency or station ticket office, giving 40% discount Mon - Thur, 25% Fri - Sun. The website also offers various "promo" tickets - it's not that difficult to follow, even with minimal Spanish, and on some routes the prices compare favourably with the bus. For example, I've got a promo ticket from Chamartin to Burgos for next week - 21.35 euros.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Will we make the train?? :?

We will be arriving in Madrid, Barajas Airport, terminal 3 at 12:20,
and just a tad over 2 hrs later we will have to be leaving from Chamartin at 14:40 (June 21st)
to travel to León.

Should we grab a taxi??

I found the metro fast and efficient. No worries about traffic. Suggest you google the system map and get familiar with the route first.

Shannon_Flekkefjord said:

and just a tad over 2 hrs later we will have to be leaving from Chamartin at 14:40 (June 21st)
to travel to León.

Should we grab a taxi??
You should have enough time to get to Chamartin without rushing - it is quite a trek from T3 to the metro, but there is a free shuttle bus running between the terminals, so you could catch that to get to T4 for the Cercanias train, which will take you to Chamartin in less than 15mins. And the metro will get you there in the time, probably. Assuming of course that your flight isn't delayed. Think taxi as the backstop.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
TAKE TWO -
I flew to Madrid. Took the free shuttle from T 1 to T 4. The Renfe office is directly across from the entrance to the trains and you can buy tickets there or through the vending machines. I Took the train to Chamartin - which was there and waiting to go - from Chamartin I took the train to LEON. It was the train that made a bunch of stops along the way, so see if there is a more direct train in your time frame. From the train station I walked into the city to the QH Hotel which is right by the Cathedral, a great locarion and a fine little hotel to boot. If yo are planning to leave early to start your camino, let someone know at the front desk. I left at about 6:15 and no one was at the desk. Fortunately I noticed a guy setting up tables at the adjoining cafe and exited through the cafe. There are yellow arrows to follow across from the Cathedral and you are on your way!!!. I like staying in a hotel after traveling for 27 hours straight, but there are - of course - albuerges and other places to stay.There lots of pilgrims leaving the city and I felt like I was in great company. It´s not the most attractive first day. I walked to Hospital del Obrigo. I recommend the Verde albuerge. Some folks stayed there and it sounds like it was a lot nicer than where I stayed. Alao, if you another kilometer or so, there´s an awesome albuergue at the next town. BUEN CAMINO !!!

Shannon_Flekkefjord said:

to travel to León.

Should we grab a taxi??

You could take public transport and if you do not make the 1440 train you could catch the 1557 train.

In my experience airplanes almost never arrive on time. So reduce the stress and give your time appreciation lots of flexibility.

nefesh said:
TAKE TWO -
I flew to Madrid. Took the free shuttle from T 1 to T 4. The Renfe office is directly across from the entrance to the trains and you can buy tickets there or through the vending machines. I Took the train to Chamartin - which was there and waiting to go - from Chamartin I took the train to LEON. It was the train that made a bunch of stops along the way, so see if there is a more direct train in your time frame. From the train station I walked into the city to the QH Hotel which is right by the Cathedral, a great locarion and a fine little hotel to boot. If yo are planning to leave early to start your camino, let someone know at the front desk. I left at about 6:15 and no one was at the desk. Fortunately I noticed a guy setting up tables at the adjoining cafe and exited through the cafe. There are yellow arrows to follow across from the Cathedral and you are on your way!!!. I like staying in a hotel after traveling for 27 hours straight, but there are - of course - albuerges and other places to stay.There lots of pilgrims leaving the city and I felt like I was in great company. It´s not the most attractive first day. I walked to Hospital del Obrigo. I recommend the Verde albuerge. Some folks stayed there and it sounds like it was a lot nicer than where I stayed. Alao, if you another kilometer or so, there´s an awesome albuergue at the next town. BUEN CAMINO !!!

WOW! Thanks so much! This is great information! I believe I am ready to make all the plans and reservations with yours and everybody else's advice and information. What an amazing forum! I am most grateful!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK - I thought I was all set to plan my travel to Leon, but I seem to have run into a problem. I've looked into flights that leave from the US on June 25th, arriving in Madrid in the am of June 26th. I checked the Renfe train schedule http://www.renfe.com/ for June 26th, but it's telling me that there are no trains from Madrid (Chamartin Station) to Leon. This doesn't seem possible. What am I doing wrong? According to what everyone has written, taking the train from Madrid Chamartin to Leon is a piece of cake. Thanks for any insights you can share.

nettersweet said:
OK - I thought I was all set to plan my travel to Leon, but I seem to have run into a problem. I've looked into flights that leave from the US on June 25th, arriving in Madrid in the am of June 26th. I checked the Renfe train schedule http://www.renfe.com/ for June 26th, but it's telling me that there are no trains from Madrid (Chamartin Station) to Leon. This doesn't seem possible. What am I doing wrong? According to what everyone has written, taking the train from Madrid Chamartin to Leon is a piece of cake. Thanks for any insights you can share.

I can get the site to work up to the 22nd of June. Try closer to your departure date.

whariwharangi said:
nettersweet said:

I can get the site to work up to the 22nd of June. Try closer to your departure date.

Thanks for checking that for me! I will try it in a few days - fingers crossed!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would STRONGLY suggest you consider bus travel. Cheaper, more accesible, more comfortable, and better logistics overall. FROM THE AIRPORT T4 Terminal, you do not need to deal with the metro and going into Madrid. Get on the Alsa.es website and find out more. Bus travel is comfortable, reliable, and cheap. I just took the bus from T4 to Logroño and from Burgos to Madrid. I made a comparison with train options and it was a no-brainer-- bus travel by far the best option.

Olivares said:
I would STRONGLY suggest you consider bus travel. Cheaper, more accesible, more comfortable, and better logistics overall. FROM THE AIRPORT T4 Terminal, you do not need to deal with the metro and going into Madrid. Get on the Alsa.es website and find out more. Bus travel is comfortable, reliable, and cheap. I just took the bus from T4 to Logroño and from Burgos to Madrid. I made a comparison with train options and it was a no-brainer-- bus travel by far the best option.
Thanks, Olivares. I do gather that logistically it would be easier, but isn't it a longer ride on the bus (from Madrid to Leon)? Also, on a bus, you are confined to your seat. After flying overnight on a plane confined to my seat, I'm attracted to the option of not being so confined and being able to get up and move around. At least in the US, trains are more comfortable in that way. But it might be different in Spain. I'm open to suggestions and persuasion, so let me know if you have any additional thoughts.

The bus system in Spain is very good.

So is the train. Spain has a very modern train system. Fast, comfortable, and, in my experience, it runs on time.

Train is faster, has space to move around, toilet facilities that move around less than on a bus vs bus is cheaper and probably runs more often.

Either way, it works.

Madrid Metro is also clean, modern, and efficient.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It seems that many of you have purchased train tickets (from Mardrid Chamartin to Leon) right at the Barajas airport, and others have purchased tickets in advance through the Renfe or Eurorail website. I have just booked my flight and will be arriving in Madrid on the morning of Tuesday, June 25th. Given that this is high Camino season, would I be risking it if I waited until I arrived in Madrid to book the train ticket? Would I be better off purchasing the ticket in advance? Thanks, again, for everyone's responses!

I almost never book bus or train tickets in advance. I don't usually have a time sensitive agenda so it doesn't matter if I don't get a seat on a particular day. Too, I have notoriously bad luck with flights not arriving on time and so like to leave things as flexible as possible at the far end. The only thing worse than racing and barely catching your bus or train is barely missing it ...

That being said, I have been lucky more than once to get the last seat or a reserved seat for which the person did not show up. Best one was the once a week ferry from Puerto Williams to Punta Arenas in Chile.

I can't answer to the demand levels on Spains train system by Pilgrims in summer. I took a train from Santiago to Madrid last December. The train was maybe 75% full and most of the travelers were not pilgrims.

I guess the overriding question is: what effect will it have on your trip if you don't catch the soonest train out of Madrid. If the answer is that its critical ... then you have your answer.

You can get a "Gold Card", for 5.15 euros if aged over 60 at any rail agency or station ticket office, giving 40% discount Mon - Thur, 25% Fri - Sun. The website also offers various "promo" tickets - it's not that difficult to follow, even with minimal Spanish, and on some routes the prices compare favourably with the bus. For example, I've got a promo ticket from Chamartin to Burgos for next week - 21.35 euros.
THank you this is really great advice

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back