• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get from Madrid to SJPP?

Kathy B

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2016
This is our first walk, we are flying into Madrid on April 3rd. Which is the best way to get from Madrid to SJPP?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For lots of information look in the section of the forum entitled "Getting to and from the Camino".

To get from Madrid to SJPDP you either go through Pamplona - see here
Or through Bayonne - see here

This is our first walk, we are flying into Madrid on April 3rd. Which is the best way to get from Madrid to SJPP?

Hi Kathy. Welcome!
You could catch the train from Madrid Charmartin (catch the metro from Madrid airport to Chamartin station) to Bayonne. Then Bayonne to St Jean. Info can be found at renfe.com or raileurope.com.
There may be better ways to do it but this gives you a start. I'm sure other pilgrims will chime in with the appropriate advice.
Buen Camino! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
From the west coast you can arrive in Madrid in the morning and have time to get to the Atocha train station from the airport and then catch the train to Pamplone. You can get there in the afternoon spend the night then use local trandport, ride share, to SJPDP. I have 1 layover going and a direct back. Both flights are 12 hours. Check GOOGLE flight.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Last edited:
There will be ALSA buses from Pamplona to SJPdP at 1430 and 1730 on April 3 and April 4.

There are buses from terminal T-4 at the Madrid airport to Pamplona at 1045 and 1515.

For me, the best way to get to SJPP from Madrid is via bus to Pamplona.
Walk out of Terminal 4 and onto a bus to Pamplona. (Around €35)
Stay there a day or two, recover from the time change, see the city.
Then catch a bus to SJPP. (around €20)
When you walk back through Pamplona you've already seen it and can get "between" the Brierley stages, missing the huge wave of pilgrims that walk according to the book.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I booked a flight from Madrid to Biarritz. It is about an hour flight and cost$65 us dollors. If your times work out, it might be the easiest way to go.
I used Fareboom website for booking.

The 'best' way is to fly from Madrid MAD to Biarritz BIQ. Chronoplus bus 14 from airport to Gare Bayonne. SNCF TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Issues of cost and schedule are ignored here.

Thank you for all the suggestions. We have talked quite a bit about it and so far have decided to stay the first night in Madrid and then make our way on to Pamplona and SJPdP with a clear head, rested from the flights getting there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back