• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get from Santiago to Barcelona?

WayWalker63

I want to spend a day or 2 in Barcelona before returning home. What is the best (cost and/or time) way to get from Santiago to Barcelona? Is there an over night train like I've read about to Madrid? I plan on flying into Madrid and out at Barcelona. I think I would want a couple days just to relax before heading home.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi
Last year in November I travelled from Santiago to Barcelona. I flew by Vueling for 72 Euros and flight time was about 1 1/2 hours. Bus took 14 hours overnight and 72 euros. There is no direct train, and via Madrid it was expensive and took many hours.

Where are you looking at starting your Camino ? As we are starting at SJDPP, I am looking at flying into Barcelona, and out of Madrid, Barcelona being closer to SJ, Madrid to Santiago. Just a thought.

I will probably be starting from Leon or somewhere slightly west of there like Astorga or Ponferrada. I want to do Barcelona at the end because it is on the Mediterranean and besides seeing Barcelona I want to just relax a couple days before heading back to home and work.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mmc_56 said:
Where are you looking at starting your Camino ? As we are starting at SJDPP, I am looking at flying into Barcelona, and out of Madrid, Barcelona being closer to SJ, Madrid to Santiago. Just a thought.

By using open jaw tickets it is possible to fly Barcelona (or perhaps San Sebastian or Bilbao= closer to SJPP) and fly out from Santiago de Compostela. Or do you want see Barcelona/ Madrid?

Annie- I have never been to Spain so I did specifically want to see Barcelona and Madrid.

Unless someone has a better idea for a nice, relaxing, warm spot 8) somewhere not too far from a major hub so I can fly home easily.

They both are big cities with so many things to see and do. I hope you have lots of time!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Annie, but like Waywalker, would like to do some sightseeing in both cities. I have been to both, love them and Spain, but my traveling companions have not. Still exploring my options for flights from Canada...prices of flights will dictate our arrival and departure cities. If we fly into London, we have more options...but, if we can get a decent price, going directly to Spain would be the best. Too bad it costs so much from here !

I plan to go from Calgary to St. Jean in the first week of September 2012, and then from Santiago to Barcelona before returning to Calgary. I am very interested in what you may have discovered about travelling from Canada to St. Jean and from Barcelona back to Canada.

Also about your stay in Barcelona. A major motive for us is to see Gaudi's work, and it would be great to find a tour guide who knows a lot about that.

Iberia has flights for $54, can't beat that!. Vueling has similar fares, but watch their baggage restrictions.
Buen Camino,
Al

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm looking at mid apr 2013 for my first Camino.

Just trying to find out if I can start in St J of the trail or if the pass will be snowed in still?

I will be flying out of Calgary to Scotland for a couple of days where I can drop most of my baggage with family.

Looking at flying out of Prestwick, Ayrshire to Toulouse then bus, cab, train to St J.

I'm going to finish in Finisterre, although not sure which direction out of Santiago I will take to get there.

The day after I'm finished I'm heading down to Gibraltar(nearest airport) then Barcelona to visit family. Not sure how I'm getting back to Scotland yet lol thinking of train or I will fly, at the moments don't have a time constraint. Once back in Scotland I will stay with family before heading back to Canada, thinking I could be gone around 2 months.

Hola,

Could you please help me further with answering my questions bellow.
I have two question connecting to this topic:

1, Are there any public transportation from the airport of Barcelona (El Prat De Llobregat) into the city around (or after) 11 pm?

2, If I can choose, which city would you recommend me to stay and look at: Madrid or Barcelona? I have never been in Spain before and I have to change flight either in Madrid or Barcelona and I decided to stay there for 1-2 days. But which one worth more to see? And why?

Thanks for your advice in advance.
Aniko

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola,

I plan to walk my Camino in Aug /Sept. I'll arrive to and leave from Spain via Barcelona. I've saved some days at the beginning of my trip to explore the city, because then I have more energy. I've always wanted to visit Barcelona - it has been one of my top destinations as the country itself. Can't wait to get there! :)
After spending some days in Brc (I know it's not enough to see the city but better than nothing) I'll probably take a night bus to Astorga and after Camino fly back from Santiago to Brc by Ryanair. The ticket costs ab 50€, so pretty cheap.
I think that sounds good B-)

Hola eku_79,
Barcelona is a wonderful place. In the past I have returned from SDC to Barcelona, by train once via Madrid and once via Tarragona (Both great places also), but long trips. I think Ryan air or Vueling are a good option, will probably do that myself next time.
Buen Camino
Colin

Thanks, Peter, for approving my plans! :)
Def there are different options to get to Brc, also walking ;-), but the fastest and the most convenient way to pass long distances is flying.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back