• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get to Gray, France from Santiago de Compostela?

emilene

We're starting to book all our connections now and would love some suggestions re the best way to get to Gray in France from Santiago. We're doing a barging trip after walking the Camino and need to collect the boat in Gray. At this stage we're looking at perhaps flying to Barcelona and then travelling up by train. Going to Porto was an option and we're also looking at perhaps flying from Santiago to the closest airport to Gray - have to research all the flights - barging brochure quotes Lyon and Dijon airports to be the closest to the town of Gray. (Lyon 242km, Dijon 50km). I guess we'll have to look at the options in two categories - a) the cheapest and b) the quickest. I'm hoping someone might have done this exercise and knows what works best!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Since you haven't booked your tickets, consider flying "open jaw" this means you start from one city, fly into your destination...travel around a bit...then depart from another city on the way home.

Here's an example from KAYAK...they search out prices from many different travel companies:

http://www.kayak.com/?kw=kayak+airfare+ ... 2012-04-19

http://www.kayak.com/flights/IAD-LCG/20 ... 2012-04-19

In this case I landed in A Coruna in bound...but flew out of SDC back home.

No only do you eliminate backtracking, you can see other sights once you finish the Way.

In the above example, my first option (in and out of same airport) cost $1015 R/T

The second (open jaw) out of SDC was $980. In today's economy, any savings are good.

In your case, you'd probably want to fly from SDC to Paris.

Dijon airport is very very small, there are hardly any flights. I would strongly recommend taking advantage of the excellent rail network in France, get a cheap budget airline to Paris and then take a train to Dijon; you have one every hour from Paris or so and it takes only 1h30 by TGV.

Hope that helps.

Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back