• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best way to get to O Cebreiro?

dustylee

I plan to walk for 2 weeks & have been thinking to start in O Cebreiro & then walk to Finisterre, but it looks like getting to O Cebreiro from Madrid is a bit difficult--buses only leave early from the airport & I am afraid I might miss the connection. The other option is to fly into Santiago & take a bus from there, but I feel like I do not want to be in Santiago until the end. Are there buses from the airport or would I need to go into the city & get a bus from there? Any recommendations? I don't want to lose a day in transit in the airport in Madrid, so not sure what to do.
Dusty

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The most direct way is to fly to Santiago. The airport is 10km out of town so you won't really see anything of the city (close your eyes until you have landed! It looks as though the buses leave from the bus station which is way out of the city so it won't spoil it for you.
ALSA buses from Santiago to Piedrafita: 8am 9am 2pm 5pm 21h30 - take 3.5 hrs.
There are 2 ALSA buses from Madrid to Piedrafita O'Cebreiro (about 4.5km from O’Cebreiro) at 9h35 and 23h59 - about a 7 hour journey. http://www.alsa.es

At O'Cebreiro itself, if you end up taking a taxi the last bit to the top, you need to be aware that you might not get a bed in the municipal albergue. When I was there, it was very busy, and anyone who hadn't walked there had to wait until the end. There was a Spanish family with several teens who had taken a taxi to the top to start from there the next day, and they ended up sleeping outside as there were no more beds left. (Other options on the mountain appeared to be quite pricey.)
Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back