• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to Get to Roncesvalles Without Entering France

lizlane

Small Town Girl, Small Town World
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
What is the best way to get to Roncesvalles NOT coming from SJPP? With the announcement of June 7th border relaxation, I finally after 8 LONG years of waiting, longing, hoping and dreaming, I have the money, the time and most importantly a dog-sitter/house-sitter lined up and ready to go. I'm happy to pay for PCR testing so I can finally make this pilgrimage. However for 8 years, my plan was to fly into Paris/Biarritz and then to SJPP. Now I have no clue. Is there a bus or a train I can take to Roncesvalles from Pamplona?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bus from Pamplona should not be a problem subject to services restarting. So flight to Madrid. Train to Pamplona & away you go
Depending where you are starting, it may be cheaper and faster to fly to Pamplona. That was the case in 2018 - I flew from Boston to Munich to Pamplona, then Taxi to SJPdP (Long story, but had planned to take a bus). The cost of the extra flight was less than the train trip from Madrid, and much faster.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A cut and paste from data I collected in 2018

@Kathar1na supplies more recent information in the next post. I'm striking out things in this post that no longer apply.

Pamplona to Roncevalles with Artieda coaches

The Pamplona to Roncevalles bus route is run by the Navarra regional carrier Autocares Artieda. Autocares Artieda (autocares means coaches) has local service to Roncevalles (local meaning that it makes many stops along the way, see appendix.) There is no service on Sundays or on holidays; otherwise the service is provided all year on Mondays through Saturdays. For the two months of July and August there is twice daily service to Roncevalles Monday through Saturday. Use these pages for official information on the Pamplona to Roncevalles route:

Webpage description of services (in Spanish): http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles

Four page PDF with schedule (in Spanish): http://www.autocaresartieda.com/Pamplona_Roncesvalles_Pamplona.pdf

A portion of Artieda's 2018 Pamplona to Roncesvalles schedule is listed here (note: pay close attention to the Friday and Saturday times below; they are different from the other times):

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
January through June: 15:00 15:00 15:00 15:00 18:00 16:00
July through August (mornings): 10:00 10:00 10:00 10:00 10:00 10:00
July through August (evenings): 18:00 18:00 18:00 18:00 18:00 16:00
September through December: 15:00 15:00 15:00 15:00 18:00 16:00

Oddly, service from Roncesvalles to Pamplona is listed as only on Mondays and Saturdays. See the schedule provided by the webpages above if you are interested in that trip.

From their webpage (not everything there is translated here):

Autocares Artieda does not take reservations.

A ticket can only be gotten from the ticket office at the bus station.

The trip will take about one hour and 10 minutes.

The fare is slightly less than 5 euros.

There is an additional 6 euros fare for bicycles.

Artieda may limit the number of bicycles they take.

Ticket early.

The ticket booth will be open from 7:00 to 20:00 except for a break from about 15:00 to 15:30.

Last edited:
The link is dead. Here is the link to the timetable for the line Pamplona to Roncesvalles until 30 June 2021: https://www.autocaresartieda.com/pdf/roncesvalles.pdf

General information about price, ticket purchase and duration: https://www.autocaresartieda.com . Paste the text into Google Translate if you need a translation into English. The website says that you cannot book by internet or phone and that you buy the ticket from the bus driver on the day of travel and just before the departure.

@lizlane, I remember your posts from earlier and I am pleased to read that you are now so close to realising them. Things are changing rapidly, and for the better, in terms of availability and ease of travel. At the moment, there is only this one bus connection from Pamplona to Roncesvalles once a day and none on Sundays and public holidays. There may be more connections per day as of July, and the international ALSA bus connection from Pamplona to SJPP may be reinstated by then, too.

If you plan your trip until Pamplona (plane, bus, or train from Madrid airport - travelling on Spanish long-distance busses is quite comfortable), perhaps with a first night in Pamplona, you will still be flexible on the day to decide whether to start in Roncesvalles or SJPP if you want to; SJPP to Roncesvalles and vice versa is well served by taxis, it's a 30-minutes, 18-miles trip. If you have the time, start your walk to Santiago leisurely, don't hurry or stress to reach the starting point. Bon voyage and Buen Camino!

PS: There are currently only two ALSA buses from Madrid airport to Pamplona on 8 June for example, but again, the frequency could increase by the time you arrive in Spain.

Last edited:
Have you considered hitching? No joke.

From Pamplona either walk along the camino path which follows the Arga river into Zubiri or walk on the right side verges of the N135. . Or you might follow the paved bicycle/walking route from the Puente de La Magdalena near the cathedral to where it meets the N135 highway near Zabaldica At any junction with the highway N135 try hitching

Many logging trucks and suppliers vans take this route. At Zubiri follow the N145 which goes up to/through Roncesvalles and Valcarlos.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not sure about your budget, but, I used this service from Pamplona Train Station in 2018. It was a taxi service recommended by Expressbourricot, a good transport to SJPdP from Biarritz, but doesn’t operate in Pamplona.

Here is the information. It was a flat 100 Euros for 1-2 people then. The driver was waiting at the train station and took us directly to our lodgings in SJPdP.
I do not know if they are in operation now, but if you are interested in quick , efficient, no hassle service (about 1 hr.) try contacting

Iván Ojugas Solsona
Paseo Santa LucĂ­a 12
31012 Pamplona Spain
Phone:+3460683352

Mail: transporte.peregrinos@gmail.com
http://linkedin.com/in/iván-ojugas-93267a87

Normally, I would also recommend flying into Pamplona from USA, changing in MUC but given how Covid restrictions may change, flying directly to Spain might be less complicated!

We flew directly to MAD around 10am, taxi to Train, train to Pamplona, taxi to SJPdP by 4pm.
Good luck!

What is the best way to get to Roncesvalles NOT coming from SJPP? With the announcement of June 7th border relaxation, I finally after 8 LONG years of waiting, longing, hoping and dreaming, I have the money, the time and most importantly a dog-sitter/house-sitter lined up and ready to go. I'm happy to pay for PCR testing so I can finally make this pilgrimage. However for 8 years, my plan was to fly into Paris/Biarritz and then to SJPP. Now I have no clue. Is there a bus or a train I can take to Roncesvalles from Pamplona?
Flight to Madrid, train to Pamplona, cab to Roncesvalles

If you are going to take a cab then why not take it to the French border at Arneguy (but still remaining in Spain) and walk to Roncesvalles from there? The camino does go through France until Valcarlos but you could walk the road instead until you get to Valcarlos and then pick up the yellow arrows from there. Then you can say you walked from France.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back