• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get to Sevilla from Madrid

Rajy62

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013, Norte/primitivo 2014, vdlp (2015)
What is the best way to get to Sevilla from Madrid. I am landing at Madrid airport around 12:30 PM.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
High speed train but you may need to spend the night in Madrid - double check the times

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is an AVE high speed train, leaving from Atocha station, it makes just 2.30 hs
You can go by train from the airport to Atocha.
As said above, check the horaires, see http://www.renfe.com/
How far is Atocha from the airport? Is that via local train?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I caught the yellow airport bus to Atocha and had bought my ave ticket online. There seemed to be an hourly train to Seville. I was early and thought about changing to a earlier train but was too exhausted to go back downstairs/upstairs to the ticket office so just sat and waited.
When I arrived in Seville I caught a taxi to Hotel Simon.

Ray, of the three options described in the forum thread jirit refers you to, I would forget about the metro. Crowded, pickpockets, long ride, changes, etc.

As between the airport express bus Jenny took or the Cercanías train, I think it depends on your timing and where you arrive.

If you arrive at T4 (which is where Iberia, American, and the One World alliance airlines arrive), there is a Cercanías train from the airport at 58 and 28 past every hour (and they are pretty much on time, in my experience). It's a 26 minute train ride to Atocha from T4, no changes. The other real advantage is that there is a RENFE office at the Cercanías stop at the airport, which is rarely crowded, so you can buy your train ticket to Sevilla if you haven´t already done so. If you buy the AVE (fast train) ticket at the airport, you won't get any of the cheap web fares, but if you're over 60 you can get a very nice discount. Also, if you buy an AVE ticket at the airport, they throw in the cost of the Cercanías train to Atocha for free.

I've never taken the airport bus, but since it stops at all terminals, it may be more convenient if you aren't arriving in T4. It has just a few stops between airport and Atocha. Buen camino to you, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, so you've decided to do the VdlP :)

Ultreia!
Yes, i am leaning towards VDLP. Easier planning, better accommodation for my cpap use etc. Then i checked the weather in Sevilla, it is already in the 30c+, if this is spring don't know what June is going to be like....

Yes, i am leaning towards VDLP. Easier planning, better accommodation for my cpap use etc. Then i checked the weather in Sevilla, it is already in the 30c+, if this is spring don't know what June is going to be like....

HOOOOOOOOT :oops:
On both routes!

Wish you Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But you have to get "tarjeta dorada" first, don't you? I guess that can be done at Renfe counter?

Hi, Kinky, though you are a youngster, it's nice of you to point that out. :) For about 5 euros you can buy a "tarjeta dorada" which entitles you to a big discount on both RENFE and Cercanias for a year. And yes, you can buy the card at any RENFE or Cercanias ticket counter.

Thank you for all your feedback.
I am arriving at T2 via Amsterdam. Fast train seems the best option. I am going to spend the night in Madrid, deal with the jet-lag a bit and take a morning train to Sevilla and spend the afternoon there before starting my walk.

Hi, Kinky, though you are a youngster, it's nice of you to point that out. :) For about 5 euros you can buy a "tarjeta dorada" which entitles you to a big discount on both RENFE and Cercanias for a year. And yes, you can buy the card at any RENFE or Cercanias ticket counter.
Oh, I'm blushing - a youngster? THANK YOU A LOT, Laurie :rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back