• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get your Compostela home in one piece

KyleJ

Is a container provided, or is that something to bring along in the backpack? How big are the certificates?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
viajero said:
At the pilgrim's office they sell a cardboard tube for 1 euro.

Here is the tube I got from the Pilgrim's Office in 2008. For sentimental reasons I still have it. I should find some new purpose for it!
Margaret

Attachments

• Compostela Tube.jpg
    Compostela Tube.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,727
At least one of the shops nearby the Pilgrim's Office would laminate the certificate for you. Think it was about 2 Euros for that service in 2007.

Might find it difficult to fit it back in the tube then though!

Regards
Mig

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Even if it fits will it flatten out again? I think it might keep trying to curl up again.
We had ours photocopied (B&W)and kept the originals in the tube. The shop does colour copies too.

I've taken home other paper items in tubes that resulted in a wrinkle or curve that never quite straightened out, even with professional framing. So with my compostela being just 8.5 x 11, I put it in a folder that had other papers in it (my itinerary, flight boarding passes and such), which helped to keep it secure, then put the folder in my carry-on in a tight outer pocket. It's perfect!

Melanie

The Compostela is a not the best token of the trip.

I value these much more:

Attachments

• Creanciale.JPG
    Creanciale.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,541
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
newfydog said:
The Compostela is a not the best token of the trip.
I value these much more:
Very true. In fact, while we're talking document sizes, how big do the credencials tend to be? Is there a way to keep them from getting mangled along the way?

The one in the picture is passport size 9x16cm and folds out to 70 cm long. It is travel worn, but if it weren't, would anyone believe we did the trip?

Hello

I didn't want to carry my compostela with me as I was continuing on to other travels after the Camino so I bought the carboard tube at the pilgrim office and took my compostela in the tube to the post office which, as I remember, was quite close and it was quite simple to mail it home.

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yep, spend a few Euros for a tube at the Pilgrim Office. It will go right into your pack or suitcase.

The one in the picture is passport size 9x16cm and folds out to 70 cm long. It is travel worn, but if it weren't, would anyone believe we did the trip?

Really? Is the Credencial [Pass Port ] really that small? That is about 3.5" x 6.30" which seems small to me. Are there more than one size?

In "The Way" [and looks can be deceiving] Tom Avery's [rather Daniel's] pass port [credencial] looked somewhat larger than the dimensions you mentioned, but again, looks can be deceiving. Thanks for providing the dimensions so I can be prepared with a ziplock bag to keep it protected along the trip keeping it from getting wet.

:))

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Movies are movies. In that movie they swing the botafumiero mid mass but in real life the botafumiero swings after the mass is over.

P.S. - If you are going to continue your Camino once you reach Santiago , e.g. - Finisterra, as well as using the tube put it in a plastic bag just in case.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Movies are movies. In that movie they swing the botafumiero mid mass but in real life the botafumiero swings after the mass is over.

P.S. - If you are going to continue your Camino once you reach Santiago , e.g. - Finisterra, as well as using the tube put it in a plastic bag just in case.

Buen Camino!

Just got word that the Credencials are larger when you get them in France.

Thanks for your reply.

Is Finisterra and Muxia one and the same? Or, different places. I keep hearing that Muxia is the place to go and others say Finisterra.

What is the difference and which is best for pilgrims to go to?

Thanks again.

The Camino de Santiago ends in Santiago de Compostela. But some do continue on to reach the end of Europe - "Finisterre" (Lands End) and yet others carry on to Muxia a nice town on the Costa de Morte.

Buen Camino!

The Camino de Santiago ends in Santiago de Compostela. But some do continue on to reach the end of Europe - "Finisterre" (Lands End) and yet others carry on to Muxia a nice town on the Costa de Morte.

Buen Camino!

Thank you!

I knew it ended in Santiago de Compostela, but wasn't sure why some raved about Muxia and others said they continued on to Finisterra.

Is one better than the other? I probably, unless I am pumped up by the trek, will not go on to those other places but spend the extra time in C de S.

Thanks again!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well the walk to Finisterre in times of old had a reason as many peregrinos had never seen the sea.

Buen Camino!

Well the walk to Finisterre in times of old had a reason as many peregrinos had never seen the sea.

Buen Camino!

Oooh! Okay. Good reason. I grew up on the west coast of Florida so seeing the sea is not much of an issue for me. I guess I will have a better idea of what I want to do at the end when I get there because I may meet some great folks like "Tom Avery" did and they may want to go further on.

Thanks again!

The pilgrimage finishes at Santiago. Sometimes though we think we've finished with it but it hasn't finished with us. At least that was my experience when I arrived in Santiago much earlier than anticipated and felt like I wasn't ready to stop. I walked on to Finisterre. The next time I went, I again decided to walk to Finisterre, this time via Muxia.

Those extra days gave me time to reflect on and to consolidate the things I had learnt along the way and I returned to Santiago by bus finally feeling like I was ready to face the world.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The pilgrimage finishes at Santiago. Sometimes though we think we've finished with it but it hasn't finished with us. At least that was my experience when I arrived in Santiago much earlier than anticipated and felt like I wasn't ready to stop. I walked on to Finisterre. The next time I went, I again decided to walk to Finisterre, this time via Muxia.

Those extra days gave me time to reflect on and to consolidate the things I had learnt along the way and I returned to Santiago by bus finally feeling like I was ready to face the world.

Wow Julie! What an incredible way of expressing a very touching and thought provoking experience. I was very moved by your words and felt like I was reading a blurb of an excellent novel or good book.

You have given inspiration for me to strongly consider going further than Santiago.

Thank you!

~PS: How long did it take you to walk from Santiago to Finisterre?

~

Thank you for your kind words. I think most pilgrims feel that they have experienced something worthy of a good book - hence the proliferation of publications written by pilgrims. My version is imprinted deep within me and, many years later, continues to shape my life.

You may not feel the same need that I did. I think the most important thing is to have an open mind. You'll know what's right for you for when you reach Santiago.

Santiago to Finisterre took three days. To go via Muxia made it four.

Thank you for your kind words. I think most pilgrims feel that they have experienced something worthy of a good book - hence the proliferation of publications written by pilgrims. My version is imprinted deep within me and, many years later, continues to shape my life.

You may not feel the same need that I did. I think the most important thing is to have an open mind. You'll know what's right for you for when you reach Santiago.

Santiago to Finisterre took three days. To go via Muxia made it four.

Since what you said resonated so much in me, it sounds like I may have the same need as you did.

Looking for finding some deeper meaning in my life as it is now and I hope I can find it on this journey.

I also want to help raise more funds for diabetes research [ seeking sponsors ] because it killed my maternal grandmother and my mother.

Hope they can find a cure before my kids experience it.

Thanks again!!

`

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on June 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back