• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best way to organise photographs

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rosemary,
Have you tried using one of the photo book guides/templates on any of the photo printing websites?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have lots of lovely photos, and was thinking of making a photobook, but i would want to add my own text and maps. I havent had much success in the passed adding my own texts. Any suggestions?
Hi Rosemary,

I expect that there might be some local businesses in your area offering this service. Many online businesses in Canada or even the USA would offer deals too. Too far away makes delivery of the printed book from them more expensive. You'll have to hunt via Google. You'll need a company that supplies digital templates for you to use on your computer - you would just download the template from the company's website. You will drop your photo files into this template and type in your titles and captions. The company you choose will have their own templates to suit their own production process. Some companies offer sample templates so you can have a play for free for a limited time, then if you choose to continue and make an order, you start to pay. The company you choose should offer advice on making your book. You might even find a demonstration video on their website.

You will see lots of options like number of pages, paper quality, hard cover or soft, etc. when you choose your options. A price should be clearly specified before you order. I suggest that if you want more than one book, order a single one first and have a look at the quality. If you're happy, order more.

If you visit a computer store or a large office supply store in your area, they might have samples of printed books for you to have a look at, or they might recommend a local business that offers this service.

Good luck, Mike

I use Shutterfly to make photo books. You can add all of the text you want. Whariwharangi (spell check that name :) !) is right about spell check - on page 109 of my 110 page Camino photo book, I wrote "Arriving in Sandiago!" I was so mad at myself for the typo, and now I get to look at the glaring error every time I look at the book. However, as we learn on the Camino, "It is what it is."

Shutterfly is a little expensive, but if you go online and look for promo codes, you can get the price down by at least two-thirds of the original estimate. I have never paid full price and would not use Shutterfly without promo codes. Half the time they will send you an email offering 50% off your book if you "finish your project" by a certain time (it pays to procrastinate :) ) and there are always promo codes for free shipping as well. Hopefully, I have not broken any forum rules in this answer - I have zero commercial interest in Shutterfly. I have attached two sample pages.

Attachments

• sample page.JPG
    sample page.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 53
  • It is what it is..JPG
    It is what it is..JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 43
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are referring to s or z in organise, I believe the spelling is correct for the uk, and in the usa, they use the z.

Sorry if I'm being a messianic grammar Nazi ... Capitalization of 'I' and lack of apostrophe in 'haven't' I can live with ... but I had to read 'passed' about three times before I understood that you meant 'past'.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry if I'm being a messianic grammar Nazi ... Capitalization of 'I' and lack of apostrophe in 'haven't' I can live with ... but I had to read 'passed' about three times before I understood that you meant 'past'.
I saw that later too, I apolgise for my sloppiness, usually I am more careful with spelling in my posts!

what a lovely idea. I too have loads of photo's tickets from alburges maps and other memento's. Putting them in a book sounds like a lovely idea

I have just done two large photo books on Vista print. They look good and it was lovely to relive Camino memories via the photo selection . On first book Fr Basque country to Leon I made mistakes on spelling of place names ( which has made me very cross with myself) I selected font that was perhaps a little too large but will be easy to read when I am really old and decrepit! I also hadn't appreciated the size of some photos on the pages compared to seeing the photos on screen. That said, overall I am pleased with it. Book two was more successful, Leon to Santiago to Finisterra. I included a photo of a Camino Frances map at the end and a little text on each page.

8 year old grandson looked at the books and commented that the books and pictures looked "cool"! Praise indeed!

Vista print offer a service to check your book before printing, i.e. make sure photos don't overlap or fall off the page edges.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have just done two large photo books on Vista print. They look good and it was lovely to relive Camino memories via the photo selection . On first book Fr Basque country to Leon I made mistakes on spelling of place names ( which has made me very cross with myself) I selected font that was perhaps a little too large but will be easy to read when I am really old and decrepit! I also hadn't appreciated the size of some photos on the pages compared to seeing the photos on screen. That said, overall I am pleased with it. Book two was more successful, Leon to Santiago to Finisterra. I included a photo of a Camino Frances map at the end and a little text on each page.

8 year old grandson looked at the books and commented that the books and pictures looked "cool"! Praise indeed!

Vista print offer a service to check your book before printing, i.e. make sure photos don't overlap or fall of the page edges.

Mucking up the size of photos and fonts on the page is the exact reason I haven't had a photo book made of our various trips. The draft just sits on the computer taunting me.

I couldn't work out a way of ensuring it was right without the trial and error you experienced. There has to be a better way. :eek: :confused:

Help please. How do I post one of my photos on here?

Help please. How do I post one of my photos on here?
If you are using a computer, there should be an option for "Upload a File." Click on it, then go to the photo you want to share and open it. Choose to share it as a "thumbnail" or "full image." Then click on "Post Reply."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Rosemary,
What a lovely idea to safekeeping your photos and memories! You have been some good ideas. In addition, perhaps a 16-18 yr old needing a few dollars? Or a college student looking for the same. That generation grew up attached to electronics it seems and it would probably be a small project, maybe one that gives you a chance to connect with a neighbor friend relative. Just a thought! Good Luck!
Micah

Hi,
I see many people have suggested already but the online photobooks are a really good idea. They take up a fraction of the room of conventional photo albums, you can type your text in and spell check, touch up the photos themselves and have a really interesting album with all sorts of extra. Its worth checking on line for any discount vouchers before you place an order as that can bring the price down by probably 25%. I am not going to recommend anyone as I don't know your country of residence and anyhow its all part of the fun :)

I think some of the online options have a 'proof' option so you can look at an online proof to check everything is correct before pressing the order button. I used a company called Bob's Books recently (in U.K.) for 3 photo books and found them to be excellent and their online upload/layout platform easy to use.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"If I was you"
If I were YOU, I'd use a grammar and a punctuation checker.
Nice to see a criticiser get criticised for a change.
Don't get too serious on spelling and punctuation, boys and girls.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mucking up the size of photos and fonts on the page is the exact reason I haven't had a photo book made of our various trips. The draft just sits on the computer taunting me.

I couldn't work out a way of ensuring it was right without the trial and error you experienced. There has to be a better way. :eek: :confused:
If you can be bothered with the trouble you can draw up the size of a page on paper and work out size of the pictures - then it's just a matter of imagination. Don't put too many on one page or you will lose detail.

If you can be bothered with the trouble you can draw up the size of a page on paper and work out size of the pictures - then it's just a matter of imagination. Don't put too many on one page or you will lose detail.

Great idea thank you.
Then I can try and guess the size of the font in relation to the size of the photo. :)

I know the hint about not many on a page. I've ruthlessly deleted photos down to the bare minimum and still have a maxi-sized end product!

Hi Paddington. If you are doing your photos at home and have a photoshop programme or similar, then it's easy to reduce the size of the photos and text.
I don't know where you want to do these photos but I will explain how to do it if it will help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After I had completed the first book I realised that the Vista print had actually pre selected a suitable font size ( but I thought I knew better ) . As someone else mentioned assorted page layouts for 1 to 6 pictures are offered but you don't have to use those.

Once you get the hand of it then it isn't too difficult to manage.

If you are using a computer, there should be an option for "Upload a File." Click on it, then go to the photo you want to share and open it. Choose to share it as a "thumbnail" or "full image." Then click on "Post Reply."
I was away from home and not on home computer. I will see if I can do this now I've returned.

I use Blurb. I made a book for my Camino trip and have done so for years for family photos. You can design pages yourself with picture and text boxes and these can be sized to suit. I write text in Word and copy to the text boxes.

€46,-
I use Blurb. I made a book for my Camino trip and have done so for years for family photos. You can design pages yourself with picture and text boxes and these can be sized to suit. I write text in Word and copy to the text boxes.
Blurb has a strong reputation for print and production quality. I'll use them when I get around to making a book.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.