• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Way To Start the Camino Portugues? Porto or Vilarinho?

EstherPL

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Many of the readings I have done stated that the best way to avoid all the traffic is to start from Vilarinho and not Porto? But how do I get from Porto to Vilarinho? I did google maps and it sends me off to another city with the same name? Do you know what bus or metro I can take? Is it really much better to start from Vilarinho? or any other starting point that it will be best... hoping to do the camino central.... Thanking you in advance!! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
You can get the metro from Porto to Vila do Conde.

Then the bus from Vila do Conde to Trofa stops in Vilarinho:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Vila-do-Conde/Trofa

Otherwise, to avoid the traffic in Porto, follow the river to Matosinhos, overnight there, then walk along the coast the next day to Vila do Conde.

Then follow the yellow arrows from Vila do Conde, to join up with the central route just before Arcos and Sao Pedro de Rates.
Jill

The first time I left Porto, I simply followed the yellow arrows from the cathedral, walking straight through the city on the inland route. I enjoyed the walk, and I saw parts of Porto I otherwise would not likely see.

The second time I left Porto, I took the subway to Matosinhos and started up the coast from there.

If I ever start in Porto again, I would walk from the cathedral along the river and then up the coast to Matosinhos. As Jill explained above, from Matosinhos you can then connect with the central route from the coast. I think this latter option is probably the best. Good luck!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would suggest walk down the river, up the coast, over Matosinhos and onto Angeiras, some 26 km by the coast, lovely walk, and in Angeiras the camping site has a special offer for pilgrims. The following day, you walk up the coast to Vila do Conde, some 8 km, and from there, once you cross the river you can choose

1) go inland, to the right, perfectly signposted to Rates
2) keep going up the coast. After the bridge, turn likewise right, but then take a 180 degree turn and go the opposite direction ofver a tunnel.

This is what I did, and I was very happy!

I walked from Porto starting at the cathedral. Instead of checking out of my hotel, I simply did the first day of the camino leaving my backpack at the hotel. At the end of the day I stopped for a cold beer in Mosteiro then walke 1.2 km to catch the metro at Vilar Pinheiro back to Porto. The next morning, I reversed course and restarted in Mosteiro walking to Rates, then the following day to Portela de Tamel which has a very nice alberque. It was a nice way to break up the stage between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. It was nice having a day of walking without the backpack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took the metro to the Mercado stop out at Matosinhos and walked the seashore path from there up to Vila do Conde- a lovely walk mostly on boardwalks. From there you can join up with the central way or you can continue along the coastal route/seashore path. I really loved starting from Matosinhos, especially because it was easy to see the waymarks and it eased me into walking with a day of only ~22 km. Also the albergue in Vila do Conde is brand new and quite nice! Have a great time, whichever you decide!

Definetely walk along the the river and coast to Vila do Conde. Take 2 days and sleep the first night at the Camp Site Orbitur. This is by a sweet ancient little fishing village with little unpretentious local restaurants serving fish straight off the boats grilled on charcoal grills.
The place looks like it has not changed for centuries and is not touristy. It was one of the highlights.

Definetely walk along the the river and coast to Vila do Conde. Take 2 days and sleep the first night at the Camp Site Orbitur. This is by a sweet ancient little fishing village with little unpretentious local restaurants serving fish straight off the boats grilled on charcoal grills.
The place looks like it has not changed for centuries and is not touristy. It was one of the highlights.

You call this a campsite. Do you need a tent, sleeping bag? Is this similar to the camping areas you see in Spain with already erected tents that you hire? We hoped to walk with a silk liner.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You call this a campsite. Do you need a tent, sleeping bag? Is this similar to the camping areas you see in Spain with already erected tents that you hire? We hoped to walk with a silk liner.

Hi Carol, I stayed at the Orbitur campsite in Angeiras in February this year (it’s open all year round):

http://www.orbitur.com/campsite-orbitur-angeiras

Three of us shared a 4-bed bungalow, so it cost us only 12 euros each. Sheets and blankets are provided. There is fully equipped kitchen and a small bathroom in the bungalow. There is also a bar and restaurant on site.

Highly recommend!
Jill

I walked with a silk liner. 2 of us stayed at the campsite in a smart little 1 bedroom cabin with ensuite. I booked on booking.com and the price was 60 Euro or so. When we arrived they only charged us 29 Euros for 2 since we were pilgrims. We had dinner at a little shack like superb restaurant on the beach and in the morning watched the fishing boats come in and unload their baskets and crates.
I could have stayed there for days. It was magic.

I booked on booking.com and the price was 60 Euro or so. When we arrived they only charged us 29 Euros for 2 since we were pilgrims.

Hi, you struck lucky there :). (This is just a caution to others who might use booking.com to make a reservation.) Usually, if a reservation has been done on booking.com, that is the price you pay. Booking.com will still want commission on the full amount, as shown in the reservation. So if you got it for half the price, the establishment had to pay twice as much commission. If that had happened in the hotel where I worked, the receptionist’s salary would have been docked for the loss that he/she had caused to the hotel :(. (Sad but true. It was the owner’s way of keeping the staff on their toes. Don’t shoot me, I was just the salary and accounts clerk!)
Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, you struck lucky there :). (This is just a caution to others who might use booking.com to make a reservation.) Usually, if a reservation has been done on booking.com, that is the price you pay. Booking.com will still want commission on the full amount, as shown in the reservation. So if you got it for half the price, the establishment had to pay twice as much commission. If that had happened in the hotel where I worked, the receptionist’s salary would have been docked for the loss that he/she had caused to the hotel :(. (Sad but true. It was the owner’s way of keeping the staff on their toes. Don’t shoot me, I was just the salary and accounts clerk!)
Jill
Wow. I had no idea. I booked on booking.com in the end as the online campsite booking facility did not work and they did not respond to my email..

It´s so easy to do a reservation for Angeiras: write an email to infoangeiras@orbitur.pt with all data and do not forget the magic word "PILGRIM" to get the pilgrim´s price. If you book on their website or on booking.com, you have to pay the normal price!

The receptionists will answer in a few days, not the next day - it´s Portugal. If you don´t get an answer, don´t worry. They always find a nice place for you, even in July and August. I can say this, because I work on that campsite as hospitaleiro. Not all the year round, only about 5 to 6 weeks a year. I stay in contact with many pilgrims on the German website: http://pilgerforum.de/forum/index.php/board,21.0.html
No problems at all.

Btw - the swimming pool is free for pilgrims! Some pilgrims ask to stay for more than one night: It´s possible!

Bom caminho

Rainer

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back