• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to travel from Santiago de Compostela to London

loumiller

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
I need to go straight to London after complete the Camino Frances. Which airport is the easiest to get to. Planning to go in March/April 2017. Thanks for any ideas! Lou

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you bothered to search what flies from Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) airport?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I didn't actually know that there was an airport there. I will check to see if I can get a flight from there. Thanks for that!
Ryanair flies to London from the Santiago (SDC) airport.
You can get to the airport by public bus or taxi.

Several years ago I flew from one of the outlying London airports to SCQ in the afternoon. I think it was Ryanair. Then 6 days later, returned from A Coruna to Heathrow in the afternoon on Vueling. There was some timing issue flying in and out of Santiago, but I don't remember the exact reason.
Anyway upon arrival in Santiago there was a bus to the center of town from the airport.
To depart I took the train to A Coruna then a bus from the train station to the airport in A Coruna.
Vueling was a lot nicer airline to fly than Ryanair, but that might have changed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Several years ago I flew from one of the outlying London airports to SCQ in the afternoon. I think it was Ryanair. Then 6 days later, returned from A Coruna to Heathrow in the afternoon on Vueling. There was some timing issue flying in and out of Santiago, but I don't remember the exact reason.
Anyway upon arrival in Santiago there was a bus to the center of town from the airport.
To depart I took the train to A Coruna then a bus from the train station to the airport in A Coruna.
Vueling was a lot nicer airline to fly than Ryanair, but that might have changed.
I guess I will need to book ahead. Its a bit hard, not quite knowing how long I will take on the Camino. The flight would be about 2 hours I imagine. Thanks for your input!

Have also a look at https://www.skyscanner.net for various options. Sometimes you can save quite a bit of money taking the bus to Vigo or Porto and flying from there. Happy researching and Buen Camino, SY

You can go Easy Jet from Santiago to Gatwick, from Gatwick (if you are going into London) you can get the Gatwick Express into the centre.
I think Ryan Air also does this route but no sure what airport it arrives at.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That sounds pretty simple. So glad I asked. Thanks
Ask away, people have many things going through their minds when they plan to walk, and it can seem a bit overwhelming. You will find there's often one person that will tell you to look the answer up yourself, but don't let that put you off asking. Most people are only too glad to help. Regarding your other problem of knowing when to book your flight home. A common concern. My advice would be to add 2 or 3 days to the time you think it will take you. That way you could have a break if needed or wanted. And if you arrive at your destination early you can relax until the day of your flight.
Or book the flight home when you finish walking. Not as extravagant as it sounds, say for example you arrive in Santiago 2 or 3 days before the flight, that could mean 2 or 3 days accommodation/food/drinks. Instead of doing that spend the money it would cost on a 'short notice' flight.

Just an example of cost when booking at short-notice. Two weeks ago I booked a flight from Santiago to London Heathrow (via Madrid) with Iberia three days before flying. The price was 80 euro. There were cheaper flights to other London airports available that day but for timing and convenience I preferred Heathrow.

Hello Loumiller .....I just arrived home ( 1 st Nov ) and i flew from Santiago to Gatwick with Vueling . The cost of my flight was £95 plus £18 hold luggage . The flight was booked the previous day in Santiago via my phone .
I caught the airport bus from Plaza De Galicia in Santiago ( but you can also catch this bus at the railway station and the bus station ......the cost was 3 euros . These buses are about every half hour i believe .
The flight i caught was 18 40hrs landing at 19.40 local time (2 hr flight ).
I did have a flight booked with Ryan air from Santiago to Stansted but as things turned out i had to return early .....the price of this flight was £59 plus hold luggage .

Hope this bit of info helps you.

Regards......John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have also a look at https://www.skyscanner.net for various options. Sometimes you can save quite a bit of money taking the bus to Vigo or Porto and flying from there. Happy researching and Buen Camino, SY

I have read your replays for sometime now
You are not only knowledgeable but tolerant and empathetic
I so hope your foot issues go away
BC SY

Ryanair flies Santiago de Compostela to London Stansted
EasyJet flies SdeC to London Gatwick
Iberia/BA fly to London Heathrow via Madrid

Only Iberia/BA fly every day. EasyJet only flies Wednesday and Saturday at that time of year. Ryanair have 3 or 4 flights a week, you'll have to check which days.

Ryanair offer cheap flights, but then charge for everything else, including a hefty fine if you do not print your own boarding pass. Watch the weight of your cabin bag if flying with them.

EasyJet are more pleasant to fly with, and have a more generous cabin bag size allowance, but really it's swings and roundabouts with these two budget airlines.

Ryanair flies Santiago de Compostela to London Stansted
EasyJet flies SdeC to London Gatwick
Iberia/BA fly to London Heathrow via Madrid

Only Iberia/BA fly every day. EasyJet only flies Wednesday and Saturday at that time of year. Ryanair have 3 or 4 flights a week, you'll have to check which days.

Ryanair offer cheap flights, but then charge for everything else, including a hefty fine if you do not print your own boarding pass. Watch the weight of your cabin bag if flying with them.

EasyJet are more pleasant to fly with, and have a more generous cabin bag size allowance, but really it's swings and roundabouts with these two budget airlines.
I flew Ryanair from Santiago to Madrid this past August. I only paid 40 euros for the one-way ticket, and got charged no extra fees. My pack met the carry-on standards, but they still put it in as checked luggage for free. I checked in online a few days before the flight, and had my hotel in Santiago print out the boarding pass for me (also saved it to my phone as an upload), but did see a lot of people boarding the flight just showing their phone uploaded pass to board.
During conversations with fellow pilgrims when I'd mention I was flying back to Madrid on Ryanair they'd warn me how bad it is, rude employees, extra fees, etc. Honestly, I found it to be no different than any other small, budget airline I'd flown, and for only 40 euros, and a flight under two hours? Heck, I'd be happy to sit on a milk crate in the plane to get to my destination at that price.
For that kind of budget fare I'd fly them again in a heartbeat.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was flying to Newcastle when I finished in Finesterra. Took a bus back to Santiago, stayed the night, bused to Porto... stayed a night (a crazy festival night) then flew to Newcastle from Porto. As mentioned Santiago also has a decent sized airport.

I flew Ryanair from Santiago to Madrid this past August. I only paid 40 euros for the one-way ticket, and got charged no extra fees. My pack met the carry-on standards, but they still put it in as checked luggage for free. I checked in online a few days before the flight, and had my hotel in Santiago print out the boarding pass for me (also saved it to my phone as an upload), but did see a lot of people boarding the flight just showing their phone uploaded pass to board.
During conversations with fellow pilgrims when I'd mention I was flying back to Madrid on Ryanair they'd warn me how bad it is, rude employees, extra fees, etc. Honestly, I found it to be no different than any other small, budget airline I'd flown, and for only 40 euros, and a flight under two hours? Heck, I'd be happy to sit on a milk crate in the plane to get to my destination at that price.
For that kind of budget fare I'd fly them again in a heartbeat.

I flew from Santiago to London Stansted 2 weeks ago with Ryanair. I was able to download my boarding pass with the Ryanair app and use that instead of a ticket. I've never been a great fan of Ryanair but it was a newish plane with extra legroom and cost only 70 euros booking a week before I flew so my experience was positive.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can go Easy Jet from Santiago to Gatwick, from Gatwick (if you are going into London) you can get the Gatwick Express into the centre.
I think Ryan Air also does this route but no sure what airport it arrives at.
Thanks, haven't been to London for more than 20 years so good to know I can fly into Gatwick and then into the centre.

Ryanair offer cheap flights, but then charge for everything else, including a hefty fine if you do not print your own boarding pass.
I flew out of SdC this August with Ryanair and no printed boarding pass or even copy in my smart phone was needed. I checked-in on-line two days prior and just present my passport at the counter and that was all. Still better to have printed copy if you have a chance I guess ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There was a great hotel recommendation on the forum recently - a 15 minutes walk from the Airport. So if you have a very early flight you could walk to the airport before the public transportation starts running. I will try and find the quote for you.

One word of warning. Make sure you confirm your flight and download a boarding pass 24 hours before flying. Last time, I had problems with my phone and had failed to do this (Ryanair). Even though there were plenty of spare seats on the London flight, I had to pay again, at a higher price, and also pay again for my hold baggage allowance. Bummer.
It was all in the fine print of course, so I have only myself to blame.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back