• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to travel from Santiago to SJPDP?

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
Hey, All.

I'm looking at flights from the US to Europe, and I just noticed that flights to/from Santiago are actually in my price range for next year. So, now I'm trying to figure out how to get from Santiago to SJPDP in the most economical way both time and $-wise. Does anyone have some recommendations?

This is my 4th Camino, but a friend is coming with me, and this is her first. I'm wanting this to be a memorable trip for her, but I'm also working with time constraints of only about 45 days to do this trip.

We aren't leaving until the end of June next year, so I know that this is really early, but I just want to make sure that I have the full trip to our start point figured out before we pull the trigger on flights.

Any help would be appreciated

Ruth

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey, All.

I'm looking at flights from the US to Europe, and I just noticed that flights to/from Santiago are actually in my price range for next year. So, now I'm trying to figure out how to get from Santiago to SJPDP in the most economical way both time and $-wise. Does anyone have some recommendations?

This is my 4th Camino, but a friend is coming with me, and this is her first. I'm wanting this to be a memorable trip for her, but I'm also working with time constraints of only about 45 days to do this trip.

We aren't leaving until the end of June next year, so I know that this is really early, but I just want to make sure that I have the full trip to our start point figured out before we pull the trigger on flights.

Ruth
Have you looked at an "open jaw"/multi city ticket? You could fly into Madrid, Paris, Pamplona or another city closer to SJPdP and fly home from Santiago.

Or consult Rome2Rio

Have you looked at an "open jaw"/multi city ticket? You could fly into Madrid, Paris, Pamplona or another city closer to SJPdP and fly home from Santiago.

Or consult Rome2Rio

I've been looking on Rome 2 Rio, and was hoping that there would be some other way that they don't mention. I haven't looked at open jaw tickets yet. My personal experience is that open jaws tend to be more expensive than regular round trips, but I will look into it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've been looking on Rome 2 Rio, and was hoping that there would be some other way that they don't mention. I haven't looked at open jaw tickets yet. My personal experience is that open jaws tend to be more expensive than regular round trips, but I will look into it.
Once you factor in the costs of a train or bus trip, perhaps an overnight stay, and meals it might not be that much more.

Hey there - coming to caminos in Spain or France, from Australia - we've always treated the 'return' from Santiago de Compostela as a one way internal flight. We have done this with Vueling and never had a problem, flying to Paris sometimes, or to Barcelona, or to Madrid.

As one example, as others have mentioned, your flight from the US could be to Paris. If you don't want to go into Paris, you can usually take a train directly from Paris Charles de Gaulle airport down to Bayonne, and connection to SJPP. Then at the end of your Camino, you can return from SdeC to Paris (they have a direct flight most days and connecting flights (via e.g. Barcelona) every day, I think.

Alternatively, fly to Madrid, train to Pamplona - bus to SJPP.

Best wishes and buen camino.

P.S. @ktchnofdngr -sorry, I realised now that wasn't answering your question - just that it's not so straightforward to get from SdeC to SJPP (compared to other options). The one way Vueling flights from SdeC to major cities have not been expensive in the past (maybe around 100 euros, taking into account that you have to put your back in checked baggage).

Hope that helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey, All.

Ruth
You could catch a train from Santiago de Compostela to Pamplona, no change of train required for around E32 each then bus from Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port with all the other pilgrims.

That would give you both a bit of a preview of where you will be walking and should help build the excitement for your friend and then joining with the other pilgrims on the bus you will start meeting people who will be walking at the same time as you.

My itinerary for one of my Caminos is a few years old (and built on pre-pandemic assumptions), but I got a dirt-cheap flight to Dublin with a discount connector to Biarritz. From there, short cab to Bayonne. And then the train into SJPP.

Also look into flying into Barcelona with a connector flight (or train) to Pamplona. Bus from there.

In 2019 I flew round trip from Boston to Madrid. Then got a cheap (100 euro) ticket from Madrid to Pamplona on Iberia. Bus to SJPP. Overnight to Madrid and then made it to SJPP by 6 pm. Return was a cheap Iberia flight from Santiago to Madrid and then finished my round trip to Boston in same day. Breaking apart the flights/bus will save you time and money. It gives you more flexibility as well, in my opinion.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@ktchnofdngr Also, something to consider for your friend as it’s her first Camino - it might be nice if her first time in Santiago is the end of her walk …
Buen Camino to you both.

I would also say train from Santiago to Pamplona, then make your way to SJPP via bus or taxi share.

Are you seeing a flight from the USA that gets you directly to Santiago?

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would also say train from Santiago to Pamplona, then make your way to SJPP via bus or taxi share.

Are you seeing a flight from the USA that gets you directly to Santiago?

Buen Camino!
It isn't direct, but it is doable. ELP to DFW, DFW to I think Frankfort, then Frankfort to Santiago. I've been looking at open jaw flights, too, though, and those are cheaper. I've also been looking at flights to Lisbon, which is the cheapest at the moment ($875)...The big thing is that it goes through Madrid, so it is very tempting to buy the flight to lisbon, then not catch the last leg to lisbon. I've done flights to/from Madrid before, and it is very doable.

Ruth

Rome2rio, see screenshot. It doesn't run every day, for example there wasn't a train on the Monday.
Screenshot_20210924-125504.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Look inside the black part of the screenshot at the top, you will see: rome2rio.omio.com

Go there with your browser and try the dates that are of interest to you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back