• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best ways to organize one's pack

joecamino

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 CF
I fly out in less than a week....excited, nervous, and trying to finish up pack list.

Can anyone share some good tips on how they organize their gear for the Camino? I'll be carrying an Osprey Stratos 36L pack, and want to get the most from it (Note: not "stuff the most into it" ;-)

One specific question-- is there a good reason to spend $$ on "ditty bags" like these, or can I accomplish the same with different sized ziplock plastic bags?

Thanks again!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a lot of these stuffed bags, mash bags and compression bags. This is a way to organise stuff in my pack and make it easier for me to find (e.g. jacket in the green one, medicals in the red one, etc). Furthermore it allows me to shift things easier that the weight is distributed evenly in my pack. (e.g. the jacket is on the right side, but I would need it right now. So I have to shift some bags from right to left where I know this sums to the same weight on both sides). I think is just easier and makes it more efficient.

I personally also not 100% sure yet where to put things where exactly, but I assume this is something I'll figure out during the Camino. Important is that the heaviest stuff (e.g. your cloth pack or drinking system) are placed the closest to your back. Also make sure to tie everything really nicely for safety seasons.
What I will do closer to my start (in 2.5 weeks *yaaay*), I'll pack by bag and just go to an outdoor shop to get a last check from a professional.

Have a look at this video, hope this helps ;)

I have a lot of these stuffed bags, mash bags and compression bags. This is a way to organise stuff in my pack and make it easier for me to find (e.g. jacket in the green one, medicals in the red one, etc). Furthermore it allows me to shift things easier that the weight is distributed evenly in my pack....

Thanks Fritzi! I start ~10 days before you, but will be walking slowly. You may see my pack up ahead of you as you pass me :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Almost all my gear goes into two waterproof fabric bags with roll-over and clip fasteners. I compress everything which is soft and won't object as far as possible before I close them. That reduces the bulk in the pack quite a bit as well as keeping things safe from damp. My money, passport, credencial and phone go into two clear ziplock pouches which stay in the zipped pockets of my trousers. A few items which don't mind getting wet - like my water bottles - are in the outer pockets of my pack.

Clothes in a dry bag and sleeping bag in another. Toiletries and towel in a mesh bag (could equally be a ziplock bag). First aid stuff in a ziplock bag in lid pocket of rucksack, as well as guide and phone charger.
Sandals for evening in outside back pocket of rucksack . When i was using a poncho, it went in its pouch inside the pack. Now my umbrella is in side-pocket.
Phone and money for the day in skirt pocket. Rest of important stuff (passport/credit card/credential) close to my body!
Water bottle(s) within easy reach in side pockets. Bits and bobs (rubber tips for poles, mints, lip salve, you name it....) in hip belt pckets.

I may sound organised now but the first few days of my first camino I couldn't find anything! I had never used a rucksack. I think a week passed before I found my comb, i was hopeless :oops: :D:D:D

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Protect from moisture, both rain and perspiration. My items have gotten wetter inside a poncho from sweat condensation than it ever would in the rain! Neither phone nor wallet (and passport and credencial) like being wet.

My skirt pocket is ventilated ;) Good point though, I also have a small dry bag handy to protect phone if it rains heavily.

@joecamino We really like these for all our travels: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01522NGXI/?tag=casaivar02-20

A bit on the expensive side but worth it for me - lightweight fabric, water repellant, and strong. I usually use ziploc bags for toiletries and other things that I don't want leaking into the Eagle Creek bags.

Maybe we'll see you on this side! Take care and have a wonderful Camino.
Faith

For keeping things dry and a little organized, I usually put my clothing (sans rain jacket), in my sea to summit daypack that I use once after checking in and when I'm out on the town. I also use it two put valuables in when I'm in the shower. Nice multi-use item that weighs less than 3 oz that serves as pack, stuff sack and drybag.

http://www.seatosummitusa.com/produ...Ultra-Sil+Travel+Day+Pack&o1=0&o2=0&o3=427-41

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have never concerned myself with keeping things dry as I wear and Altus when it rains.So I use nylon mesh bags: they are tansparwnt so I can see what's insode, and unlike ziplocks, they don't wake others in the morning while I rummage.

1 with "bed stuff": liner, what ever I have to sleep in at night, eye glasses case, etc. Another with tomorrow's clothes. Another with shower and laudry stuff. When one of these is unsually empty it let's me know I have be forgetting something behind.

@joecamino We really like these for all our travels: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01522NGXI/?tag=casaivar02-20

A bit on the expensive side but worth it for me - lightweight fabric, water repellant, and strong. I usually use ziploc bags for toiletries and other things that I don't want leaking into the Eagle Creek bags.

Maybe we'll see you on this side! Take care and have a wonderful Camino.
Faith
I have the Eagle Creek Spectre cubes that have a compression zip. I haven't used them on the Camino yet though. Last year I used a Hoboroll from Gobi Gear, which is a stuff bag with dividers. It worked fairly well, but I like the flat shape of the cubes.

€46,-
I have the Eagle Creek Spectre cubes that have a compression zip. I haven't used them on the Camino yet though. Last year I used a Hoboroll from Gobi Gear, which is a stuff bag with dividers. It worked fairly well, but I like the flat shape of the cubes.

Oooh I just had a look at the cubes with a compression zip and I really like those. Thanks for bringing them to our attention!

Dry bags are heavier and you don't need them. If you have a good pack it's already pretty water resistant. Add the pack cover to that and you'll be fine. Or just put a garbage liner inside. Either way, I use stuff sacks or in this case I'm using the Eagle Creek specter cubes which are super lightweight. I put my sleeping bag in a lightweight compression sack at the bottom in the sleeping bag compartment.
I've never had wet bag or items even in a downpour. My passport, wallet, and battery back up are all in a tiny waterproof bag in pack. You can see my packing list with those items listed on my blog:
http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/packing-camino-de-santiago/

I fly out in less than a week....excited, nervous, and trying to finish up pack list.

Can anyone share some good tips on how they organize their gear for the Camino? I'll be carrying an Osprey Stratos 36L pack, and want to get the most from it (Note: not "stuff the most into it" ;-)

One specific question-- is there a good reason to spend $$ on "ditty bags" like these, or can I accomplish the same with different sized ziplock plastic bags?

Thanks again!

http://andrewskurka.com/2016/how-to-pack-a-backpack-load-distribution-organization-canisters-video/

Although this is for a multi-day backpacking trip in backcountry areas, the principals are the same for the Camino. The only difference is the type and amount of gear.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oooh I just had a look at the cubes with a compression zip and I really like those. Thanks for bringing them to our attention!
I found that those times when my pack just didn't feel quite right, that if I rearranged the contents a bit, and really cinched down the compression straps to keep the load closer to my body it immediately became more comfortable. That's why I think that the compression cubes will work well.

I've always gone with the philosophy that for walking the Camino you should not have so much stuff in the pack that it needs to be organized in layers. When I opened my pack I could see everything. That goes with the weight of the items as well. It seemed like nothing I carried weighed so much (never carried a sleeping bag) that it needed to be put in the bottom of the pack, and my sandals I just kept in an outside pocket so that I had easy access to them when I arrived at an albergue and needed to kick my hiking shoes off at the door.

€46,-

Here comes that eternal "engineering answer" --- it depends. ;)

Some things, such as sleeping gear, electronics and paper items, need to be protected from water/moisture. Other things, such as a leaky tube of medication, need to be isolated to limit the mess. A third category of things, such as a recently-used toothbrush, need to "breathe" a bit.

I usually carry a mixture of synthetic bags, trash bags and ziplocks. The exact mix, of course, will depend on the specific items being carried.

And the bags you listed seem a bit oversized and pricey. Have you looked at discount places like Walmart or Target? Or Dick's Sporting Goods?

Last edited:
My philosophy is the same as @Mark Lee 's with the exception that I carry a sleeping bag.
All my clothes go in teh sleeping bag compartment at the bottom of my pack.
Sleeping bag, raincoat and my "kitchen", "laundry" and "bathroom" go in the main compartment. Because I don't like things hanging on the outside my crocs in their own wee bag go there too - but the idea of being able to grab them without opening the pack occasionally appealed. However, I would tell myself I needed to open my pack anyway so it really wasn't a biggie!
Tootbbrush and toothpaste in a side pocket so they can be used just before leaving the albergue after my pack is closed.
Medical supplies in a zip lock bag are in the top flap.
Everything else (journal.passports, money etc) is in a bumbag.

I'm an organiser by nature and so I can't help myself. At the toher end of the spectrum was a fellow kiwi we bumped into a few times. Her pack was a higgeldy piggeldy squishy lumpy blob. She tipped everything onto the bed when she arrived and picked up what had fallen onto the floor the next morning. That worked just as well for her as my wee system worked for me.

You'll find what you are comfortable with. But with little stuff, it will be hard to struggle.

Why a dry bag? Way to heavy, and opaque.
There are now very light (sil-nylon) roll-top dry bags that are much lighter than the ones you might have used for boating/diving. True that they are opaque, and rather expensive, but I like them. They are easily clipped to the rail of the top bunk or to a shower rod.

If you do buy stuff bags don't get black ones. Same goes for pack liners. Unless you have feline like eye sight they are impossible to find anything in easily.

Thanks again!

Oooh good question ... I had the same pack last year ... love it ... imagine my surprise when I thought I had lost stuff ... thought how can that be possible ... after all I have so little ... a few days later found it at the very bottom of pack :).... was kinda funny .. in love with my pack ... he/ she followed me everywhere .... what an adventure we had and many more to come ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use Ziplocs for anything that might leak. Toiletries mainly. The only other thing I feel the need to bag up is my underwear/socks. I put those items in a super lightweight mesh bag, which keeps them together and can also go into the washing machine, keeping my laundry separated from others with whom I might be sharing the machine.

I promise you no matter how you organize your pack, on day two there will be several items that no longer need to be organized as they will not be going back into the pack :)

I always take a small supply of sealable sandwich bags - useful for wallets and phones when the weather is awful.
Duncan

Thanks again!
I begin my third Camino on June 1. Being the Guici girl that I am, on my first time around I purchased several brightly colored and expensive REI bags to pack clothing and essentials in an organized manner. Prior to leaving I opted to use the heavy duty freezer zip lock bags. Perfect as they come in several sizes, are cheap, and they kept everything dry! Very easy to organize like items. Enjoy the Journey!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I begin my third Camino on June 1. Being the Guici girl that I am, on my first time around I purchased several brightly colored and expensive REI bags to pack clothing and essentials in an organized manner. Prior to leaving I opted to use the heavy duty freezer zip lock bags. Perfect as they come in several sizes, are cheap, and they kept everything dry! Very easy to organize like items. Enjoy the Journey!
And noisy. You will not be making many friends in the albergues while using platic bags.

Thanks again!
I use Gobi Gear products they are amazing for staying organized makes it possible for me to only take a 18L day pack on my 16 day Camino. You put most your things in it and then in your pack.

And noisy. You will not be making many friends in the albergues while using platic bags.
While this is true, the solution does not have to be to ditch the bags. Just put everything in your pack before you go to bed and then pick up the whole thing and sneak quietly into a hallway or communal space before doing any rustling. Or be the last one up!

€46,-

Thanks again!
I used stuff sacks to keep things separated. One was for clean clothing, one for dirty, and one was for my rain gear. I used a mesh bag for toiletries.

Lot of good advice here. Only caveat I would offer from my time in hiking the hill trails where I live is that if you decide to go with the Ziplocs buy the name brand not the generics. This is one item where there is a difference in how long they will last. Like cheap canned sardines, you get your money's worth. (For those who eat sardines.);)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My bedding, silk sheet and flannel blanket, is in a dry sack in the bottom. The 3 small stuff sacks for clothes, socks, meds are the next layer. Shower & around town sandals in two zip locks on top. Shower bag in the mesh area in the upper part of the bag. Phone and small bag for shopping etc are in the water proof pocket. In the bottom pocket is wind jacket, buff, beeny hat, first aid items, phone charger. Bottom mesh area holds a sandwich size plastic box (super light weight) with snacks. Side pockets for tissues and "stuff". Water bottles on the outside. Miss items in pants pockets.

https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/mira-ag-34-MIRA34.html

The pack is great for organizing.

I prefer a top loading pack.
I stuff my sleeping bag in the bottom
On top of that I put my stuff sack with soap and toothbrush and deodorant
On top of that I put my clothes in smaller stuff sacks.
1 for underwear and socks
1 for pants/skirts
1 for shirts
I put my windbreaker or ALTUS poncho on top for easy access and an orange.
I carry my water in my pocket. I never take more than one 8 ounce bottle on the Camino Frances, and I fill it up at fountains when needed.

I have Osprey 36L, I bought a 3 pack of ultra light weight cubes. 1 lg pk for clothes, 1 med pk for socks & undies, 1 sm pack for nighttime stuff (charger, ear buds, sleeping pills & pain pills). I have a small nylon bag that has my shower stuff & PJs (flipflops, leggings, tanktop, toiletry bag & towel). Just grab the shower bag, shower, wash bra and panties in shower and hang out to dry for next use.
Minimal clothing; 1 hiking pant, 1 bicycle short I wear under hiking pants to keep warm in am and I remove hiking pants if hot, 2 t-shirts, 1 long sleeve top, 1 base layer 35 degree (wear in am), 1 legging & tank for sleeping & dinner, I zippered fleese hoodie, very light thin rain jacket that fits over all my layers, hiking shoes and flip flops.

I start out with a place for everything and everything in its place.

This works well for me for the first three days then it just gets stuffed in where it can be fitted (I have a similar approach in my camper van - by the end of the first week it's like a pig pen).

I DO, however stick to "skivvy rolling" my shirt/socks/underwear combo:

duR9HLM.jpg

that way, when I arrive at the day's destination, I pull out the next day's clothing in one go. Dried, laundered clothes are rolled straight away and go into the pack. No chance of a lost sock or, heaven forbid, underwear.

Works for me anyhow ;)

I used them all, and now I place my extra clothing at bottom no bag, stuff my sleeping on top filling any gaps ( no bag) the small first aid kit and personal care bag anywhere is a gap rain coat on top of everything and done.

Zzotte

I DO, however stick to "skivvy rolling" my shirt/socks/underwear combo:

duR9HLM.jpg

that way, when I arrive at the day's destination, I pull out the next day's clothing in one go.

I love this-- though you lost me between step #6 and #7. I see socks starting in #4. Who's this white wooly character jumping into later round?

I love this-- though you lost me between step #6 and #7. I see socks starting in #4. Who's this white wooly character jumping into later round?
Fooled me the first time I saw it - I think they change the socks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks again!
Great question, I leave 4 wks first timer getting anxious the closer it gets.
I put my all together just last night and including 1 ltr of water I am 6kg, would like to shave another 1/2kg just don't see how.
I have packed
Poncho, gaiters, in a ziplock in outside back with Reba sandals.
Clothes in s2s sil bag, sleeping stuff also in a s2s sil bag, same as first aid, toiletries there all in big pocket
Loose in lid pocket is a guide, glasses,hat, toilet paper ( zip lock)
Credentials around neck/ in pant pocket.
Sunblock and a cup hanging at the back
?!??!!!!??????????
Guidance also recommended and appreciated .
Buen Camino

I put my all together just last night and including 1 ltr of water I am 6kg, would like to shave another 1/2kg just don't see how.
I have packed
Clothes in s2s sil bag, sleeping stuff also in a s2s sil bag, same as first aid, toiletries there all in big pocket
?!??!!!!??????????
Buen Camino
Leave the gaiters and cup, that will be 250 grams less?

I have packed
?!??!!!!??????????
Buen Camino

I don't think you'll need gaiters.... Take the minimum of toilet paper, not a full roll. You sure you need to bring a cup?
Buen camino :)

Thanks again!

No best way because the one you choose before your first camino will be out the door by the second day. You'll figure out the best way for you after a few days. Have fun!

So true, mvanert! I did all the same planning and then on Day #1 couldn't find a thing in the dark room and was too anxious to leave to pack it back in any sensible way. So that evening when I got into Roncesvalles I packed for practicality... getting out early in the morning. Repeated my Day #1 routine just a bit less on Day #2 but that evening I sat down and packed it right because then I knew how to. And packed it right I did. And did for the next 30 days. It's so clear when you're in the Camino rhythm and necessity drives efficiency. Must also agree wholeheartedly with Anemone about the unpleasant rustling noise that ziploc bags make. If you need something from inside one of them anytime after the first person goes to sleep, you'll be pilgrim non grata with your roomies.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unless you have very thin ankles/calves it shouldn't be a problem ;)

I do! I like my socks to fit my feet snugly and I don't want them falling down, either. If your socks don't fit snugly they tend to rub in your shoes and that can lead to problems.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My skirt pocket is ventilated ;) Good point though, I also have a small dry bag handy to protect phone if it rains heavily.

Hi! Domigee,
I like that ideas of walking in skirt, so I don't need extra shoulder bag which was
quiet handy. Also wondering using of an umbrella with UV protection from it.
How do you mount them when you use poles.
Thanks, Cathy K.

Hi! Domigee,
I like that ideas of walking in skirt, so I don't need extra shoulder bag which was
Thanks, Cathy K.
I have the Euroschirm hands free telescoping umbrella. It has an extra long handle that attaches easily to your backpack hip belt, and comes with clips that to attach it to the shoulder strap. It is very secure.
http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/te...ex.cgi?session=VmXoLf3gDrlSe&sprache_land=usa

Hi! Domigee,
Thanks, Cathy K.

The previous poster answered your query about the umbrella. It's brilliant both for rain and sunshine and stays put even in strong winds.
Worth the price, imo. It's now available from the forum shop. I compensate the weight by not bringing a poncho.

The skirt is a Macabi, not terribly elegant I conceed but soooo great to wear I now can't walk in anything else :rolleyes: Only drawback is the steep postage & packing which has increased considerably - if you don't live in the US. Definitely put me off ordering another one...

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
The Eagle Creek cubes that have a compression zip are great - two kept everything together - shirts and pants in one, underwear and socks in the second. Cloth bags for bits of stuff - toiletries in an Eagle Creek bag. Electronics were the only thing I had in a water proof bag. And anything that I couldn't loose (money, credit cards, passport) in plastic and in a cross body bag - with me at all times. Nothing got wet, and I walked in some fierce rain ! Osprey with a rain cover

I had compression sacks and some lightweight dry sacks, and I had a system for organizing (walking clothes, night stuff) that I can't quite recall, but I do remember that the system gave me a sense that I knew where stuff was, and that I remembered to pack it when resuming walking the next day.

Even though your stuff is all in the vicinity of your bunk, I found my organization helped me feel more comfortable that I wasn't leaving anything behind.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I'm asking because I CAN live without these. I'll keep it short; should I bring...? Sleeping liner - (don't albergues have at least one sheet? for me that will be enough) Kindle + Kindle...
What is the best all in one detergent that washes body, hair and clothes?
Hi everyone, I'm deciding last minute whether I should bring my bikini or not to Camino Frances, in SJPP (shipping some of my stuff to Santiago). Did my research but couldn't find too much for...
I have two chargers with a Spanish plug, both have USB connections. I only need one, and for fun I weighed them. The Apple charger weighs 26 g. The Qualcomm Quick Charger 3.0 weighs 56 g and is...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
I am planning my third attempt at the VDLP next year and am just getting things and thoughts together. Waterproof jackets are perplexing me. For my first camino in 2016 I found a Montane Minimus...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.