• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Women's Hiking Trouser for any Camino?

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
Ever since reading @TMcA's post regarding this apparently Men's only option, I have been enamored and searched high and low for the same or similar trouser in a Women's cut.
Then, I watched a video series, posted on @Anamya's Camino Lebaniego thread. Not even 15 seconds into the first video and I spotted Her trousers! 🤩 After leaving a couple of messages asking her about them, she sent me a link to one of the two styles she wears. I'd never before heard of Decathalon stores and, the price is certainly right!
SO guess who is going shopping at the nearest location when she's base camped in Oviedo for six week? 😁
Do any of you Ladies own these or anything like them (great sized pockets and smaller zipped ones) in a women's cut? If so please share. While my Macabi skirt continues to serve me well, I also want a pair of true trousers that offer a lightweight synthetic fabric for quick drying as well as, keeping me on the cooler side.
EDIT: Please share the Brand and Style of your favorites. ;)
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ever since reading @TMcA's post regarding this apparently Men's only option, I have been enamored and searched high and low for the same or similar trouser in a Women's cut.
Then, I watched a video series, posted on @Anamya's Camino Lebaniego thread. Not even 15 seconds into the first video and I spotted Her trousers! 🤩 After leaving a couple of messages asking her about them, she sent me a link to one of the two styles she wears. I'd never before heard of Decathalon stores and, the price is certainly right!
SO guess who is going shopping at the nearest location when she's base camped in Oviedo for six week? 😁
Do any of you Ladies own these or anything like them (great sized pockets and smaller zipped ones) in a women's cut? If so please share. While my Macabi skirt continues to serve me well, I also want a pair of true trousers that offer a lightweight synthetic fabric for quick drying as well as, keeping me on the cooler side.

Buen Camino!
There is now a Decathlon store in the US, so you can order without paying exorbitant shipping costs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
...I love those two tone pants the Europeans wear...
Me too! After researching that aspect, I learned that those butt, knee, etc. areas are reinforced.
There is now a Decathlon store in the US, so you can order without paying exorbitant shipping costs.
T, I've been on it like white on rice and my size is never available...always sold out.
EDIT: Although @trecile, your reply is a GREAT motivation for me to lose those last few pounds...ordering the smaller size. Thanks!

See if the Decathlon site has the ability to notify you when the item is back in stock.

They provide excellent value for cost.

The other really good Camino pants are REI Sahara convertible cargo pants. The are available at REI.com for both men & women. They are more expensive but wear well and have good features.

Hope this helps.

Me too! After researching that aspect, I learned that those butt, knee, etc. areas are reinforced.

T, I've been on it like white on rice and my size is never available...always sold out.
EDIT: Although @trecile, your reply is a GREAT motivation for me to lose those last few pounds...ordering the smaller size. Thanks!
I have noticed that many Decathlon clothing items run small...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
See if the Decathlon site has the ability to notify you when the item is back in stock.
They do and I've used that feature. So far, not back in stock but...fingers crossed. Thanks T2

EDIT: I ordered just now from the USA site. Worst that can happen is if they don't fit, right? ;)

Still interested in any other suggestions about Lightweight, Quick Drying, Women's cut trousers with Large Pockets.

Last edited:
@RumAndChupacabras I am very fond of my Vaude pants. A German brand. Very quick drying as I noticed on my last Camino!

On the more expensive side but very good good quality to match.
Right pocket large enough for different items.
Left pocket large enough to hold a bottle of half a litre of water.

Last edited:
...Right pocket large enough for different items. Left pocket large enough to hold a bottle of half a litre of water...
LUV this! Thanks for the link.
EDIT: @SabineP, not completely certain what 'polyamide' is. Since you own them, do they feel anything like nylon/nylon blend trousers? 🤔

Costco is currently stocking an extremely lightweight quick drying Capri length pant, Kirkland brand. Stretchy waist with drawstring, the 2 front pockets are large although do not zip. $20 in Canada. Very comfortable, I went back and got a second pair.

Last edited:
LUV this! Thanks for the link.
EDIT: @SabineP, not completely certain what 'polyamide' is. Since you own them, do they feel anything like nylon/nylon blend trousers? 🤔

This I found on the internet and describes how I feel about polyamide.

"Polyamide fabrics tend to have a better feel, because they have softer and more flexible fibers, though they produce more static. This softness was because they were initially designed as an alternative for silk. This high strength-flexibility combo drives up their cost. Polyester fabrics have a rough feel, though they are more lightweight. However, thanks to modern technology, manufacturers have produced varieties of polyesters which are just as soft as silk, nylon, and other polyamides. "

I have noticed that many Decathlon clothing items run small...

This is TRUE, globally. However, their size tables are very good about converting their international sizing (smallish) to US sizing. In my experience, shoes are true to metric sizing.

Tops, shirts, jackets and the like I need to upside one full size, after erring on the size of going larger from my US sizing.

For example, in the US, I wear a XL for Under Armour t-shirts and polo shirts. However, some of these are cut on the small side, so I need to round up to XXL to get the loose fit I desire. HOWEVER, in the Decathlon sizing tables, the same chest measurement used for XXL in the US yields a XXXL in Decathlon. But, do not worry, they carry a lot of stuff in the larger sizes. I think it is because they know about this paradigm shift.

Waist measurements are similar to above. If in doubt, go UP one size.

I have scored some fabulous deals form the US Decathlon site. They offer very good value for cost.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
For Aussies.
If, as for me, your definition of 'best' includes budget pricing, checkout Aldis upcoming 6th of July offering.
Men's and women's hiking/outdoor pants. $24.99.
While not having convertible zip-off legs they appear to satisfy most other requirements.
Ultralight Down Vests and jackets, suitable, imo, for late spring/summer/early autumn Caminoing at $29.99 and $49.99.
Specials have limited stock at Aldi, so it's the early bird, very early, like opening time, that catches the worm.
Regards, but as is usual at Aldi sale time....keep outta my way cobber,
Gerard.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are they quick to dry, @amocatnerak?
Yes. You can hand wash and hang to dry and they are great. Wore them (my black pair) every day in Spain and they are still going strong.

Edit: yes, four pockets! Plus a wide, flat waistband with no belt loops to rub on your pack.

@RumAndChupacabras

I’ve worn these for years. They stretch four ways, have 2 zipped security pockets, and 2 hand pockets, dry really quickly, have UPF40+ etc etc etc.
Unlike most Rohan trousers for women, they have a comfortable waist, which is very stretchy. I have these in several sizes and I’ve been comfortable in at least 2 sizes at a time ... they’re very forgiving 😉
And they’re in the sale!
Btw, they last forever!
I know they have customers in the US, but I’m not sure whether they have a US website.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For Aussies.
If, as for me, your definition of 'best' includes budget pricing, checkout Aldis upcoming 6th of July offering.
Men's and women's hiking/outdoor pants. $24.99.
While not having convertible zip-off legs they appear to satisfy most other requirements.
Ultralight Down Vests and jackets, suitable, imo, for late spring/summer/early autumn Caminoing at $29.99 and $49.99.
Specials have limited stock at Aldi, so it's the early bird, very early, like opening time, that catches the worm.
Regards, but as is usual at Aldi sale time....keep outta my way cobber,
Gerard.

That's so funny, what doesn't Aldi sell when I need it. Last year we needed a wheelchair - suddenly Aldi had them in for a week. Guess I'm off to Aldi to get me some trekking pants and vests and jackets.

I am still baffled by why people carry long pants at all on the Camino, much less convertible pants: "Shants" (which I have a variety of problems with that I've outlined elsewhere). But I do admire those two-color all-techy-looking European trekking pants I see on the Camino trail, for fashion reasons, if nothing else. I want the yellow and black ones.

Speaking of Costco, I found there two styles of men's cargo shorts with stretchy waistbands that fit women and have very usable pockets. I am excited to hear that Decathelon has a US outlet now. I am going to check if they have that Quechua raincoat/poncho thing I saw people wearing (that looks like an Altus, but lighter-weight).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino!
I have not read the other thread. My reasons for buying zip off trousers: precisely because they do two jobs: full length when needed, shorts when not. Gender? Whatever fits me and is on sale. I have worn them zillions of times since the first camino, home and away. In fact, I could blame them - which would be infantile! - for my increasing girth, as they are so forgiving. Fashion is not a priority for me.

Buen Camino!

Costco.com has women's travel pants that are similar and superb, about half the price, if you are a Costco member. I wore a pair on the Camino for 80 miles in May and loved them so much I came home and bought two more pairs in different colors. Easy to find online.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some of us can’t be bothered with sunscreen!
Yeah, I dont wear sunscreen om my legs. If it gets cold, I pull on long underwear bottoms under my shorts, a change I can make on the trail faster than it takes someone with convertable pants to zip on the bottom legs. There definitely are times when long pants would be nice to have though. If I could get some of those classy two tone European ones, and they werent too heavy, I'd onsider them.

@JillGat, Once my Decathalon order arrives, I'll let you all know if they're too hot, too heavy or too perfect because, the zippered and snap pockets are a really important feature...for me, that is.

I have not read the other thread. My reasons for buying zip off trousers: precisely because they do two jobs: full length when needed, shorts when not. Gender? Whatever fits me and is on sale. I have worn them zillions of times since the first camino, home and away. In fact, I could blame them - which would be infantile! - for my increasing girth, as they are so forgiving. Fashion is not a priority for me.
Why not a pair of lightweight long pants and a pair of shorts then, so you have something to wear while you are washing the other?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I pull on long underwear bottoms under my shorts, a change I can make on the trail faster than it takes someone with convertable pants to zip on the bottom legs.

The mind boggles 😳
Do you have poppers ‘under’ your shorts ... like those ‘body’ things?

If I could get some of those classy two tone European ones, and they werent too heavy, I'd onsider them.

Is it just the yellow and the black you want .... or are you, secretly, rather stylish? 😉

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've discovered these North Face Aphrodite trousers:
They're really comfortable, with an elasticated waistband rather than needing a belt.
The seams at the knees are in just the right place. I can't wear shorts as I am fair skinned and burn very easily, so these are just the thing for me.

I've discovered these North Face Aphrodite trousers:
They're really comfortable, with an elasticated waistband rather than needing a belt.
The seams at the knees are in just the right place. I can't wear shorts as I am fair skinned and burn very easily, so these are just the thing for me.

Those look good!
And comfortable 🙂

I just have two pairs on the go, so I don't have to think! the bottoms of both pairs take up a tiddly little space in the pack.

I can see carrying one pair of long pants and one pair of shorts, which would be lighter and simpler to me than two pairs of convertible pants. It's easy to change from one to the other. I wasn't bragging about how quick a change artist I am, but how long it seems to take people to zip the pant legs back on their shants. But, come to think of it, I'm not sure why I'm trying to convince anybody that what works for them, really doesn't! :) I'm sorry.

I am anything but stylish, but maybe I could turn over a new leaf with the yellow and black (or red and black) two-tone pants! Actually, after my recent Camino Portugues, I spent a couple of days walking around Madrid and caught a look at myself in a window. Spanish people were dressed pretty sharp and here I was in cargo shorts and an oversized tee shirt, like some tourist guy at Disneyland. So I popped into a shop and bought an inexpensive linen dress and wore it out of the store. It is multi-colored; quite bright. Then I noticed that everybody else in Madrid seems to wear black, white and earthtones and I still stood out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Dochim, those NF do look very comfy...nylon, too! 👍
...after my recent Camino Portugues, I spent a couple of days walking around Madrid and caught a look at myself in a window. Spanish people were dressed pretty sharp and here I was in cargo shorts and an oversized tee shirt, like some tourist guy...
You've hit on something here that I've been trying to figure out for my upcoming 6 weeks in Spain. A couple of weeks will be Camino and the rest, more business in nature (house hunting). I do have a couple of really lightweight dresses and will probably take them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...You don’t have to carry everything you’ll need later, on your Camino, do you? 😕
That is still to be determined. Normally, I wouldn't put as much thought in it since, my bag is always ready (for the @davebugg "Emergency Camino")! :D
The trousers are in my mind for when we do a variant Lebaniego route, which appears much more rustic than the CP was. I think they'll do better at protecting me than my Macabi....maybe. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can't help you there. I had a pair of cheap zip-off trousers I used a few times on the Camino, but they weren't satisfactory. I haven't looked for better hiking pants but will be interested in the responses to your question, since I do want a better pair eventually.

Buen Camino!
I wore Columbia Omni Shade and Omni Shield pants and were great . Even though they were black, they never absorbed the heat of the sun, flicked off moisture and dried really fast during the night

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On Camino Norte, I wore Ex-Officio convertible pants, but I found that it was such a pain to constantly be zipping and unzipping the lower leggings. When you're cold and tired, getting the zipper lined up just right was less than ideal! I currently wear REI Kornati roll-up pants, and I LOVE them. They are durable, fast drying, and sooo comfortable, and it's handy to be able to roll them up instead of removing a whole section. Plus, they look sharp. I actually wear them to work because they barely look like hiking pants. They have two zip pockets in the back and one zip pocket on the side, as well as two regular pockets. Here's the link (note that they have regular, tall, petite, and plus sizes): https://www.rei.com/product/119941/rei-co-op-kornati-roll-up-pants-womens

...I wore Columbia Omni Shade and Omni Shield pants and were great...
The Omni Shade (UV protection) and Omni Shield (Water and Stain Repellant) are the fabric technology that Columbia uses on many of their Men's and Women's (kids, too) clothing. Which style/s of trousers did you wear? :)

...I found that it was such a pain to constantly be zipping and unzipping the lower leggings. When you're cold and tired, getting the zipper lined up just right was less than ideal! ...
Totally concur! I have an old pair of nylon convertibles by White Sierra but, since I need to replace them I won't be doing convertibles again...for all the reasons you list regarding the Kornati's you LOVE. ;) They look great AND they have length's!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, I'll be! Just read that polyamide is...NYLON. Nylon is recycled a lot! Thanks @taigirl!

The Omni Shade (UV protection) and Omni Shield (Water and Stain Repellant) are the fabric technology that Columbia uses on many of their Men's and Women's (kids, too) clothing. Which style/s of trousers did you wear? :)
I have two one is the jogger , has soft elastic at the bottom of the pants .

€60,-
@Dochim, those NF do look very comfy...nylon, too! 👍

You've hit on something here that I've been trying to figure out for my upcoming 6 weeks in Spain. A couple of weeks will be Camino and the rest, more business in nature (house hunting). I do have a couple of really lightweight dresses and will probably take them.

Where are you looking for a house in Spain?!

The ladies ankle length travel pant from Costco is fantastic!! Have 2 pairs they run a bit on the roomy side, order 1 size down..got my 2nd pair on line
I just ordered a pair online yesterday after learning of them here. You sure can't beat $10.99 (including shipping)! I begin the CF 16 August and planned on the Kuhl pants I've been wearing on training hikes. I absolutely love them but they have a hole now so I don't think they'd get through a Camino. The Costco ones look great though!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love my Kuhl shorts, but they are heavy-duty and I wonder how fast they would dry.
I love my Kuhl pants but admittedly know nothing about what kind they are. I found them at a thrift store quite a while back. They are lightweight and indeed dry very quickly. Today on a hike I spilled water all over them, soaked through, and they were dry well before I got back to my vehicle 1.7 moderately difficult miles later.

Maybe try air drying them when you have time, just to see how long it takes? I did that with my travel towels. Curiosity gets the better of me sometimes!

They do and I've used that feature. So far, not back in stock but...fingers crossed. Thanks T2

EDIT: I ordered just now from the USA site. Worst that can happen is if they don't fit, right? ;)

Still interested in any other suggestions about Lightweight, Quick Drying, Women's cut trousers with Large Pockets.
I like Royal Robbins. Fit me well, zip off to shorts.

I like my Royal Robbins pants. The zip off to shorts and they are not short shorts. They fit me well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Stio CFS Board Pants. Trim fit with deep, roomy front pockets. Lightweight, SPF and fast drying. Smart enough for those to whom that sort of thing matters, LOL. I took two pairs and switched them on our Camino, and one pair of shorts. A bit $$ but they last and are tough wearing.

UPS dropped by today with my Decathalon order:

OHH EMM GEEE, They fit perfectly, I'm happy to say! 👏

Upon first try: The pockets are fairly deep. While not as cavernous as a Macabi skirt's pockets, they are bigger than most women's trousers I've seen and, they're well placed. As far as weight goes they feel fairly light, including the belt (which IS removable). The lighter color fabric is a 2 way stretch while, the darker color fabric is a thicker 4 way stretch. A small unexpected but appreciated feature is, that the pull tab cords are reflective!
Next I'll try them in the early morning, before it gets too hot.

For what I'm seeing in the construction, fit and feel of this trouser, I believe it is well worth its modest price point. 👍

Last edited:
I received my Costco Kirkland Signature pants this week. They are very comfortable. I'm happy there are normal pockets on front and back, and there's also a small one with a zipper. It would be perfect for a cell phone. The seams are mostly doubled and sturdy, while the pants still allow flexibility.

I tried to test the quick-dry aspect but was surprised to find that water just beads up on them. I formed a bucket with them in my sink and still, water just sat on top. It wasn't until I poured water inside them that they started to absorb anything, but still less than I expected. I think I've found my Camino pants!

Pros: Comfortable, inexpensive ($10.99 includes shipping), usable pockets, reflect water nicely.

Cons: A bit "swooshy" due to the material (just a heads up if that is bothersome).

So I was in Decathlon looking for pants for my Camino Lebaniego. Tried their new female hiking pants, zipped legs, fits perfectly... has TWO shallow pockets on the front and ONE-ONLY small pocket on the back! :eek:

Then I went to the male section, got the same brand/model in the smallest men size possible (I'm tiny). It fits almost exactly the same, but it has three deep pockets on the front (one zipped), two shallow pockets on the back, one very deep pocket on one side of the thigh and two on the other thigh.
Guess who walked the Lebaniego in "man´s pants?" :)

Anamya, which style of Decathlon trouser did you wear and, how were they???
:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
EDIT: Please share the Brand and Style of your favorites. ;)
Buen Camino!
I always wear shorts ( except for the one day in my profile pic, when I wore my evening pants, as my shorts had not dried overnight) and if it is really really cold, merino leggings under, which then double up as pj pants if needed, but have never needed to put on the leggings....even when there was frost. Your legs soon warm up.

Last edited:
I LOVE the NF Aphrodite pants. Had a couple of options with me on first camino, but only wore those. The capri ones are nice and you can cuff them up or down quickly. Also, I had a couple of days of hard core rain and they worked super nice (dried quickly).

I LOVE the NF Aphrodite pants. Had a couple of options with me on first camino, but only wore those. The capri ones are nice and you can cuff them up or down quickly. Also, I had a couple of days of hard core rain and they worked super nice (dried quickly).
I had those for the evening. They are great and super comfy

I actually usually prefer to hike/walk in loose fitting running shorts. However! My favorite favorite favorite 'outdoor, lightweight, quick-dry, ctretchy, comfortable' pants are the Prana Halle Pant - I wear the original 'cut' and I get them in the 'short' length (they come in short, regular, and tall!). They have a 'fold up to capris' option. Love these pants! (link: https://global.prana.com/p/halle-pant/W4HA99113.html)

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.