• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Betanzos Albergue

Urban trekker1

Urban Trekker1
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (May 2013)

Caminho Portuguese (May 2014)
Camino Frances (May 2015)
Someone complained about the lack of kitchen facilities and other issues at the new albergue in Betanzos. I live in the US. We don't have the long history that you have in Europe. Over here we tear down the old to make way for the new. There, you preserve and cherish the old by keeping it and incorporating the new into it. With the exception of giant log lodges (Yellowstone Lodge and others) built for the uber rich by the rail roads in the late 1800s, we have nothing like that over here and mores the pity. You might not see it the way I do because you live there and probably take if for granted. I thought that the albergues in Betonzos and Bruma were incredible structures and enjoyed them for what they were. The albergue is new and not finished. Give the operators time to finish it and appreciate the truly great buildings you have over there. Buen Camino Tony

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rome wasn´t built in a day. And it seems neither was the Albergue at Betanzos.

Things take their time. And as the Camino itself.........peregrinos should too............... enjoy the Camino as you stroll along. And if your
Camino takes you thru Betanzos, enjoy it as well.

Buen Camino!

Tony -
Firstly I think that if you perceive something in a post as being a complaint that you don't agree with, it's much better if you can respond on that thread, so that others have a chance to judge whether it was written as a complaint and whether your comments are fair ones in the context of the post..
Secondly, I hold a different view to you. I think it's really sad that a very impressive new albergue doesn't have proper cooking facilities. I think
1. that not everyone, especially the younger folk, can afford to buy a restaurant meal. Being able to cook in an albergue is a real help for these people
2. my most treasured moments on the camino have involved the cooking and sharing of a meal with fellow pilgrims - and these moments are becoming much scarcer.
I know there are a number of counter arguments, primarily around supporting the local restaurant economy, but it still saddens me to see what I believe is one of the very best aspects of the camino being built out of it rather than built in to it.
By the way - here's what the finished 'kitchen' looks like
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_tom/9707529701/in/set-72157635446868325/lightbox/
cheers, tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the photo. It looks as though the kitchen has 2 microwaves, am I right? There was something some time back about fire regs making it more difficult to have ovens/gas rings because people would dry their clothes too near them. (An example of how people flouting rules can affect all who follow later??)
It would be helpful to know if the Galician albergues generally now have microwaves. What about suitable containers for 'cooking' in them?
Perhaps some-one with the knowledge could start a specific thread on this.

Thanks for the photo. As Urban Trekker 1 said it´s not finished yet. Hopefully it will be by next summer when I plan to walk the Camino Ingles. If not we´ll just have to make due.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back