• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Betanzos and Sigueiro Albergues

kgreid

Does anyone know the status of the albergues that were being planned for Betanzos and Sigueiro? Will they open in 2010? I plan on starting from El Ferrol on May 24, 2010.

Thanks,

Ken Reid

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It goes over the back-and-forth finances of the albergue project, which dates back to before the change of regional government. (when Feijoo and the Partido Popular took over Galician government they "cleaned house" and lots of established projects, including Camino-related things, were put on hold... and now even decade-old projects delays are always blamed on this.)

So despite clamor from local civic groups and regional pilgrim associations, pilgrims in Betanzos continue to sleep at the sports hall. The town is missing out on all the "vibrancy" (aka "MONEY") the pilgrims might bring to town, but what can you do?

(Personally, I´d stay in the scruffy pension rooms above the Pulperia Universal, one of the most fabulously named restaurants in Spain!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rebekah Scott said:
So despite clamor from local civic groups and regional pilgrim associations, pilgrims in Betanzos continue to sleep at the sports hall. The town is missing out on all the "vibrancy" (aka "MONEY") the pilgrims might bring to town, but what can you do?
so those who would sleep in an albergue would spend more money than those who sleep in the sports hall? Sounds rather dubious to me! If they would be sleeping there rather than in a hotel (not that there are that many in Betanzos), they're likely to be spending much less.

It's likely there's going to have to be considerable belt-tightening in Spain in the next few years, and the Xunta is going to have to reduce its budget on non-essentials. If said civic groups and pilgrim assocs are so keen for somewhere for pilgrims to stay, they'll have to organise it themselves instead of clamouring for the Xunta to organise everything for them.

this is true.
The sports hall is out on the edge of town, so the pilgrims would likely buy their dinners down there, rather than in the downtown. I mourn the loss of the Pulperia Universal, and only wish I´d got the t-shirt!

(I think the half-empty convent ought to be put to use, but no one´s asked me.)

this is true.
The sports hall is out on the edge of town, so the pilgrims would likely buy their dinners down there, rather than in the downtown. I mourn the loss of the Pulperia Universal, and only wish I´d got the t-shirt!

(I think the half-empty convent ought to be put to use, but no one´s asked me.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I like Betanzos but last time I walked in January the Universal was permanently cerrado [1st time I stayed here] and I found it difficult to find somewhere to stay so stayed at the Garelos [good position just off the square] which was very nice and included breakfast but cost 53€! it was Sunday next day and most of the places open later so breakfast was good. I also like the church of Santa Domingo in the square for mass and there is a nice little bar opposite the church of Santiago, {they have a silver Johnnie Walker container on a shelf]. Lots of places were closed on the saturday afternoon so I just had a meal where I could before I looked for a bed. There was a useful supermarket just down from the Santiago church. I'm afraid I blew my budget in Betanzos but I enjoyed it.

I did the Camino Ingles in late August, so this is recent information: no albergue in Betanzos and the municipal gymnasium serves as the "albergue" in Sigueiro.

Rebekah Scott said:
The sports hall is out on the edge of town...)

This is a bit of an overstatement... the sports hall is the large building you can see when you stand in the town square (not far across the river) and is only a few minutes walk, the crazy Parque O Pastempo is also nearby.

If you want to splash out on the money you save by staying in the sports hall then eat at the excellent Taberna Da Penela, the leche fritters will keep you going all day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Latest news on the Betanzos albergue:

http://www.laopinioncoruna.es/​gran-coruna/2012/02/07/​paso-hospederia/​577974.html?utm_source=rss

Looks like a nice, roomy place. But when the official report says "almost finished" and "opening soon" so many times, well. We can only hope!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back