• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Coming closer to our depart in May 2014 and going deeper into the routing, I wonder if experienced walkers of the camino Ingles can explain us about the track from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma.
As far as Iunderstand the distance is about 30 kms to the albergue in Hospital the Bruma but what I also understand is that at some places you 'll meet some fairly steep hills.
I read that you can walk to a bar Julia and from there you call at taxi who takes you to Hospital de Bruma to the albergue and the next morning by taxi you go back the bar Julia to continue the walk to Hospital de Bruma. Is that right ? We do not want to walk more than 20 kms a day
Did I understand the story well ?
Apreciating your remarks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As far as I can see (I haven't walked this Camino yet, either), you can walk from Betanzos to Bar Julia and then get a taxi to Pension O Meson Novo. They'll take you back to Bar Julia the next morning and then continue where you left off and have a lighter load by leaving some of your stuff in their pension. In fact, on their website it says they can arrange this and do it for free if it is nearby! http://mesonnovo.blogspot.com/p/servicios.html Tel: 678 585 431

I'm booked in there for a night and the rates are very economical indeed at just over 23 Euros for bed and breakfast.

As far as I can see (I haven't walked this Camino yet, either), you can walk from Betanzos to Bar Julia and then get a taxi to Pension O Meson Novo. They'll take you back to Bar Julia the next morning and then continue where you left off and have a lighter load by leaving some of your stuff in their pension. In fact, on their website it says they can arrange this and do it for free if it is nearby! http://mesonnovo.blogspot.com/p/servicios.html Tel: 678 585 431

I'm booked in there for a night and the rates are very economical indeed at just over 23 Euros for bed and breakfast.
Thanks for that NoQ. I did not find that blogspot of them and after reading it it's crystal clear.
I am going to book the same way as you did,

Thanks again and buen camino

Albertinho

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Note that Bar Julia is not always open, so you will need your own phone. I planned to arrive there Sunday lunchtime figuring (correctly) that a Spanish bar would always be open Sunday lunch! It was and the customers in there were very friendly. The hill starts just after there and the next Bar is a couple of hundred meters off to the left at the top of the hill (well marked).

Note that Bar Julia is not always open, so you will need your own phone. I planned to arrive there Sunday lunchtime figuring (correctly) that a Spanish bar would always be open Sunday lunch! It was and the customers in there were very friendly. The hill starts just after there and the next Bar is a couple of hundred meters off to the left at the top of the hill (well marked).
Thanks Al !
I going to make a list today with all the information I gathered on this great forum and will have a blueprint of the journey.
Looking forward to the starting date
Cheers!

You can do this in two ways: telephone the Bar Julia and having ascertained it is open telephone a taxi when you arrive there to take you to the albergue at Bruma and then return the next morning

Or arrange for Antonio from the Hotsl O Meson Novo in Meson do Vento to pick you up and return you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Please note an ancient English Way pilgrim ritual: When arriving at Bar Julia (if it is open) the tired pilgrim must fully hydrate himself, and then prepare and aenesthetize for the coming climb with a shot of... Johnnie Walker.
Julia keeps it on hand just for this purpose.
Still waiting for a commemorative sello.
;)

If we have the 'Johnnie Walker' at lunchtime we'll be asleep in the bus stop down the road before we even think of tackling the hill. :) However hopefully Bar Julia will be open when we are there this time and we can enjoy at least a cafe con leche.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've learnt a huge amount from winter camino walking with Rebekah

You can do this in two ways: telephone the Bar Julia and having ascertained it is open telephone a taxi when you arrive there to take you to the albergue at Bruma and then return the next morning

Or arrange for Antonio from the Hotsl O Meson Novo in Meson do Vento to pick you up and return you.

We are two elderly women and do not want to walk the 29km to Bruma in one go. Is it possible to stay at a Betanzos hostal and book a taxi to pick you up say at Leiro and then transport you back to the Betanzos hostal and return you to Leiro the next morning to resume your journey - has anyone done this?

The Hotel Garelos might be a good place to stay and organise this. They are lovely folk and very helpful. The hotel is not far out of the main square - down the steps near the Tourist Office, turn left past the Correos and then a right turn down to the hotel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are two elderly women and do not want to walk the 29km to Bruma in one go.
That's a good plan - always better to tackle a big hill with fresh legs in the morning!

I agree with Tia, Hotel Garelos should be able to help you arrange this, I'm quite sure many people have done this. I used Taxi 10 (a nice gentleman named Vicente) out of Betanzos to pick me up at a specific pre-arranged spot in 2014 and it worked out great. We spoke the day before to work out the location and then I just gave him a call to say I was there and he arrived shortly. It was even nicer that on the way back to Betanzos he turned off the meter to take me up the hill to a church slightly off the route on the way into town (Igrexa da Nosa Señora do Camiño) to show it to me. I had had a very difficult day and truly appreciated that kindness. :)

The folks at Meson Novo in Meson do Vento can also do a pick-up and drop off the next day, and it's complimentary (included in your room rate). Not sure what their radius is, but Leiro isn't that far from Casa Julia where they regularly pick up/drop off, so worth an ask if you were planning to stay at their Pension (hotel).

Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
That's a good plan - always better to tackle a big hill with fresh legs in the morning!

I agree with Tia, Hotel Garelos should be able to help you arrange this, I'm quite sure many people have done this. I used Taxi 10 (a nice gentleman named Vicente) out of Betanzos to pick me up at a specific pre-arranged spot in 2014 and it worked out great. We spoke the day before to work out the location and then I just gave him a call to say I was there and he arrived shortly. It was even nicer that on the way back to Betanzos he turned off the meter to take me up the hill to a church slightly off the route on the way into town (Igrexa da Nosa Señora do Camiño) to show it to me. I had had a very difficult day and truly appreciated that kindness. :)

The folks at Meson Novo in Meson do Vento can also do a pick-up and drop off the next day, and it's complimentary (included in your room rate). Not sure what their radius is, but Leiro isn't that far from Casa Julia where they regularly pick up/drop off, so worth an ask if you were planning to stay at their Pension (hotel).

Buen Camino!!
Thank you both for this. Unfortunately Hotel Garelos is fully booked for the nights we need. It may be safer to go for the Meson do Vento option, prebooking the taxi from Bar Julia to be sure, as this appears to be a well tried and tested method.

Thank you both for this. Unfortunately Hotel Garelos is fully booked for the nights we need. It may be safer to go for the Meson do Vento option, prebooking the taxi from Bar Julia to be sure, as this appears to be a well tried and tested method.
If you are booked into O Meson Novo there is no need to book a taxi. Just send a message to Don Antonio asking about collection, and to estimate a time, and he will be prepared to collect you from an agreed place - either Casa Julia or Leiro (maybe the bar near Presedo). All you need do then is phone him direct when you reach the pick up point. The family speak English too so that is a help if you don't have much Spanish. You can also book in for one night and carry all your things next day to Bruma albergue or book 2 nights and 'walk light' to walk back to O Meson Novo. Hope that you can get booked in with Antonio and his family, they are truly lovely people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are booked into O Meson Novo there is no need to book a taxi. Just send a message to Don Antonio asking about collection, and to estimate a time, and he will be prepared to collect you from an agreed place - either Casa Julia or Leiro (maybe the bar near Presedo). All you need do then is phone him direct when you reach the pick up point. The family speak English too so that is a help if you don't have much Spanish. You can also book in for one night and carry all your things next day to Bruma albergue or book 2 nights and 'walk light' to walk back to O Meson Novo. Hope that you can get booked in with Antonio and his family, they are truly lovely people.
Thank you so much - O Meson Novo is my next on my list for investigating!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great! Splitting up that stage is a nice option, I'm so glad it worked out. You will have a lovely time on the Camino!

If we have the 'Johnnie Walker' at lunchtime we'll be asleep in the bus stop down the road before we even think of tackling the hill. :) However hopefully Bar Julia will be open when we are there this time and we can enjoy at least a cafe con leche.[/QUOTE

We'll be tacking that hill even earlier in the day, the whiskey might be strange just after breakfast!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just finished walking from Betanzos to Pension O Meson Novo (Meson o Vento). Hot day about 28°Celsius. Pace was good walking with two other Camino virgins who I met on the Primitivo (that was their first Camino). Started out at 7:00am arrived at 5:00pm. Lots of stops on the way. Hill is not as bad as the locals make out - just need to pace yourself and take lots of breaks. Some great coffee stops on the way. Antonio was driving two peregrinos to his place as we were leaving Bruma. Asked us if we wanted a lift but the day was beautiful we decided to walk. And a lovely walk it was too. This is an awesome Camino after the Madrid. San Salvador and Primitivo. BTW Johnniewalker's guide rocks!

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back