• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Betanzos

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Sending this from Betanzos. We started at Neda (long story - no trains from Lugo to Ferrol on a Sunday morning, train to A Coruna then to Ferrol, arrived at 12h45, too late to start walking to Pontedeume so taxi to Neda) and have had a wonderful two days walking.
The Camino Ingles has been very well waymarked so far and we´ve rarely had to refer to Johnnie´s notes (thanks Johnnie).
This route has been a ´walk´rather than a ´hike´so far. That doesn´t mean no ups and downs - there are many steep climbs, almost always into a forest high above the towns and villages, and a few fairly steep downs. It is very scenic - similar to the Sarria to Santiago route through forests, small hamlets, subsistence farms and corriedors of Eucalyptus.
Will test the ´phone Antonio for a lift from the bar Julia´advice tomorrow. We will arrive in Santiago on Friday - hospefully in time for mass.
Saw the weather forecast on TV and it looks like rain is on its way. Could be a muddy slippery slide into Santiago!
Buen from the road,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
sillydoll said:
This route has been a ´walk´rather than a ´hike´so far.

Wait sil, there may be a couple of surprises in store for you.

Betanzos-Bruma can be a testing experience, if you do it in one stretch of course.

Have a good one!

Jean-Marc

We are going to test out Antonio´s taxi offer from the bar Julia and then back there the next day. So, we´ll be doing it the lazy way!! Will let you know how it works out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Sil,

Looking forward to your comments.
I'll be doing the Inglés again next October with my wife. The Antonio's option could be interesting.
I have been to their hostal for food and drinks and have received a very warm welcome.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Sil - I've just had an e mail from a pilgrim saying there has been some change to the route entering Santiago with new waymarking - if you pick up this message could you test out the last page of the which describes the final approach to Santiago for waymarking please.

Buen Camino

John

Aah! One should not try to cheat the camino - it might just hear and thwart your plans!
Please read our blog - http://www.2009pilgrims.blogspot.com - for Day 4. Betanzos to Bar Julia (and beyond....) for the full story.
Just a quick precis - we got lost leaving Bestanzos, walked 12km to Cos instead of 6km, the phoning Antonio bit didn´t work out and we ended up walking to Bruma after all - 35km in one day! Serves us right!!
Johnnie I will check the waymarkings ito Santiago tomorrow (we are now one day ahead so will have an extra day in Santiago.)
The way into Sigueiro might change too as there is a huge construction site on the wasteland mentioned after the swimming pool - actually it surrounds the swimming pool. We had to wait for an earthmover to trumble on before we could take that left turn and then crossed a construction site rather than wasteland.
We stayed at rooms provided by Bar Luis in Pontedenuem - still 24 € for the room so 12€ each.
The Hostal Cheino (?) in Bestanzos has gone up from 15€ each to 20€ each. A bit steep for a room with no en suite bathroom. We are at the Hostal Miras in Sigueiro tonight - 15€ each for a nice size room with a huge bathroom down the passage.
Ivar, if you read this, we will be in Santiago tomorrow and might try to find your place in San Pedro to collect my parcel. Could you SMS me if you are NOT going to be open.
Buen camino todos,

PS: We have not seen ONE pilgrim on this route. Not even a cyclist. There were 3 pilgrimds in the albergue at Bruma yesterday and a group of 12 the day before (including 2 South Africans). Very, very quiet route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back