• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Better late than never

DuaneS

Time of past OR future Camino
April 4th from SJPDP - May 5, 2017 - Complete!
I recently ordered and received 'the big map' from this site - a map showing all the routes of the Camino de Santiago across Spain. I thought it was finally time to build a wall from all my hiking adventures, with a focus on the Camino Frances since that one was pretty special. I still have some ways to go, but it's been a good distraction since we currently can't hike here.

Attachments

• 347D9DC9-5829-4B06-B2DE-6DF76E525CB1.JPG
    347D9DC9-5829-4B06-B2DE-6DF76E525CB1.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 215
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I recently ordered and received 'the big map' from this site - a map showing all the routes of the Camino de Santiago across Spain. I thought it was finally time to build a wall from all my hiking adventures, with a focus on the Camino Frances since that one was pretty special. I still have some ways to go, but it's been a good distraction since we currently can't hike here.
We just received ours too. Nice for dreaming and I like that it's printed like a relief map.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We just received ours too. Nice for dreaming and I like that it's printed like a relief map.
Maps tell stories. At one point in my career, I was Chief of Mapping and Geodesy for the Intelligence Center Pacific. Our major holdings were accurate to the last yearly cycle and displayed land masses as small as 100 meters across. That's not the story. Because of my access, I could, at the touch of a key, display maps and charts held not only among USA holdings, but those of other selected nations.
In my spare time, I would select a place and period in time, say 6500-3800 BC and the ancient city of UR in present day Iraq. I'd map out key reference points (roads, rivers, prominent mountains, etc) and then overlay them on present day maps.
Using satellite imagery (today Google Earth), I could see where many present day roads and rivers match closely with those of 8,000 years ago.
Much of the road network of the various Caminos, to this day, accurately remain close to the paths/Roman way of 1,000 + years ago.
Buen “can an old map lead me to lost Roman silver?” Camino
Arn

Thanks.. Yah I agree, it's a nice conversation piece. Some of my friends likely have no idea what the camino is, so it's much easier to point to the map and show the route rather than just say "over the pyranees" or whatever. But looking forward to adding more hiking photos on that wall going forward.

Maps tell stories. At one point in my career, I was Chief of Mapping and Geodesy for the Intelligence Center Pacific. Our major holdings were accurate to the last yearly cycle and displayed land masses as small as 100 meters across. That's not the story. Because of my access, I could, at the touch of a key, display maps and charts held not only among USA holdings, but those of other selected nations.
In my spare time, I would select a place and period in time, say 6500-3800 BC and the ancient city of UR in present day Iraq. I'd map out key reference points (roads, rivers, prominent mountains, etc) and then overlay them on present day maps.
Using satellite imagery (today Google Earth), I could see where many present day roads and rivers match closely with those of 8,000 years ago.
Much of the road network of the various Caminos, to this day, accurately remain close to the paths/Roman way of 1,000 + years ago.
Buen “can an old map lead me to lost Roman silver?” Camino
Arn
Can you access maps, such as the ones you devised by overlaying, anywhere? They would be fascinating.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can you access maps, such as the ones you devised by overlaying, anywhere? They would be fascinating.
Hi, Happy I peaked your interest in this fascinating arena of historical research.
This is the most comprehensive open source I have found:

Let me know if it works. Might need to "cut and paste".

Buen "One more step along the Way" Camino
Arn

You just prompted me to run upstairs and contemplate my own small wall. Older map in center, Compostelas Y Certificados de distancia. Happy ❤️ Valentine’s Day to all Peregrinos everywhere. ❤️

Attachments

• 81498819-79C6-4846-9D97-E80A8334A798.jpeg
    81498819-79C6-4846-9D97-E80A8334A798.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 90
What a wall of memories! I have just received my big Spanish map and I need to take it to the framers.
Apart from pictures and my Compostelas on my wall I have two photo books.
Thanks for you most interesting post.
Sherpakev

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I was still on active duty with the Marines, and actually years later, I had an "I Love Me!" wall. Actually, it was an entire room. Hung on every wall were my many awards, decorations, newspaper articles, college, university diplomas and certificates. Sprinkled among the trivia were prized photos of key events in my family's life. I've since either given it all away (mostly to my kids/grandkids) or, one night of emotional pique...burned much of these anchors to my past.
Now, my walls display many current (or at least recent) memorabilia such as: several Compostela's, the 800 year anniversary certificate commemorating St Frances' pilgrimage to SDC, extended pilgrimages to Finisterre/Muxia, St Magnus Way, etc.
But the most treasured map I have framed is the map I originally sent to my mom when I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail in 1996. I made it a point to contact my mom at significant intervals. She, for her part, lovingly marked my progress on the map and made notations in a notepad. Mom passed away in 2004. I am certain, from up there in Heaven, mom, sitting beside my dad, followed my footsteps as I walked the Way.
I miss them both so very much
Buen "I love you and miss you" Camino
Your loving son
Arnie

Hi, Happy I peaked your interest in this fascinating arena of historical research.
This is the most comprehensive open source I have found:

Let me know if it works. Might need to "cut and paste".

Buen "One more step along the Way" Camino
Arn
Thanks!😁

Tacked neatly on my kitchen wall and on adjacent wall is Salvador Dali's "Rose". Missouri in my residence; Spain on my mind.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back